What is cost of coffee card & soda card?

brenderlou

How do you get the coffee card ahead of time? I see the order form on-line, but do they actually send you the card, or will it appear at check-in or when you get in your cabin? Thanks!

A voucher will be in your cabin - take to bar to exchange for coffee card :)

Did I read somewhere on these boards where you get a free mug with the coffee card, if you buy it @ the IC@ the begining of the cruise:confused: Or is that a thing of the past???
No free mug on the Island in January. They were for sale for somewhere between $5 and $6.

So the souvenir tumbler - What is it like? Can you get your refills in it? Like the mocktails?

I would like to bring mocktails back to my balcony so would prefer a large size to carry back. Very small and it would be drunk before I get back :)

What do the experts do?

Does the coffee card include tea?
If you are just drinking tea and not coffee, you don't need the coffee card. There is a good selection of tea bags (Lipton and Bigelow) in the HC and the dining rooms to brew hot tea and they are complementary. The extra cost teas included with the coffee card at the IC are a selection of Mighty Leaf teas.

So the souvenir tumbler - What is it like? Can you get your refills in it? Like the mocktails?

I would like to bring mocktails back to my balcony so would prefer a large size to carry back. Very small and it would be drunk before I get back :)

Last week on the Crown they had two choices... one was a thermos type tumbler with a coca-cola theme on the outside and a flip lid for drinking. The other was a clear plastic insulated cup with either a straight straw or twisty straw. The clear plastic cup came with Princess graphics and some drawings of fish on it. DD got the clear plastic version.

She was able to get whatever drink she wanted in the cup, but they always asked to see her UKP sticker.

I noticed that the patisseriie had a nominal charge noted from reading the cruise answer pdf file. what is the patisserie and what is there that they charge for? Does the diamond princess have the international cafe. Is this different than the patisserie? Sorry for the confusion, first time sailing on the diamond. We're on the June 15th sailing out of whittier.

Here's a breakdown of the coffee card:

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine.:p

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

You'll find brewed coffee from grounds at some lounges, and in the International Cafe. Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

Thanks for this excellent explanation...it resolved a lot of confusion.

I noticed that the patisseriie had a nominal charge noted from reading the cruise answer pdf file. what is the patisserie and what is there that they charge for? Does the diamond princess have the international cafe. Is this different than the patisserie? Sorry for the confusion, first time sailing on the diamond. We're on the June 15th sailing out of whittier.
The Patisserie is a bar on Plaza deck. On ships without an IC such as the Diamond and Island (and presumably the Dawn, Sea and Sun) it is a main location for purchasing specialty coffees with the Coffee Card. That would be the "nominal charge". There will be a small tray or two of pastries on the bar in the morning and the addition of "finger" sandwiches in the afternoon (much like you are served at afternoon tea).

Last week on the Crown they had two choices... one was a thermos type tumbler with a coca-cola theme on the outside and a flip lid for drinking. The other was a clear plastic insulated cup with either a straight straw or twisty straw. The clear plastic cup came with Princess graphics and some drawings of fish on it. DD got the clear plastic version.

If you have a picture of the clear plastic insulated cup please post it. :)

Archived