Has Anyone traveled to a port via Amtrak

lucky13elec

I called Amtrak direct and got the nicest woman to help me. I was looking at two entirely different routes--cincy to NYC and St Louis to LA. she was so helpful. She looked up different routes different days told me what the different options were. Call them and perhaps you will get a helpful person. A TA is supposed to be helpful but they may not have even taken that option and I like to go right to the source. The lady on the phone told me to weigh all my options then go on line and secure the tickets. It worked so easy. I looked at reviews of the trains I selected and most of pretty positive. I would not have even thought ot look at Cincinnati because I thought Indy or Louisville would have been cheaper. thanks to the lady at Amtrak I found a great solution for less than what I had planned to pay.

If I am going to look at cutting subsides I would count the bonuses our congressman get as a subsidy!

I have spent hours upon hours online trying to incorporate Amtrak into our next cruise plans. Not only do I not fly anymore, but I thought it would be nice to travel this way as well as maybe being a bit more inexpensive than airline tickets. I have come away with a bad taste in my mouth at all the problems I have encountered. I have been unable to get straight answers from TA's and can not seem to log on the Amtrak site and get info without filling out repeated registrations. The prices I do find for travel to ports such as NOLA, Tampa, and Miami are anything but inexpensive and take up to a couple of days to complete. Online reviews by those having traveled similar routes are fraught with negative issues. I have decided to either fly again or drive myself. I would opt for doing away with any further government subsidies for Amtrak.

Bob

I called Amtrak direct and got the nicest woman to help me. I was looking at two entirely different routes--cincy to NYC and St Louis to LA. she was so helpful. She looked up different routes different days told me what the different options were. Call them and perhaps you will get a helpful person.

This has been my experience too with calling Amtrak. Some of the phone reps are more helpful than others of course, but it shouldn't be that hard to get a price quote on the routes you want.

The way the pricing changes for train seats is similar to flights. If you book early and there are plenty of seats left, prices tend to be lower. As they book up, prices increase.

Had taken the Amtrak a couple of time going home from Sanford Fl to Lorton, VA . This would be the Auto Train which is a straight ride. We usually drive to Fl, then twke tha auto train back home. Dinner and breakfast is served and there is a snack bar available. They also show a movie on board.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Did Amtrak from Philly to Orlando a few years ago when going to Disney. Trip with delays in NC/SC was 24 hours, which we will never do that distance again. We drove back from Orlando, which was planned to visit family along the way.

I am trying to avoid the 20 hour round trip drive to/from Jacksonville. I can find good airfare from JAX to either BWI or DCA. But getting to JAX by air is too expensive for us. I will only fly a direct flight the day of sailing & the day before you have the hotel cost also.

So has anyone taken Amtrak? If so how was it?

This would be an 11.5 hour trip by train. I have no idea about being on a train for that long. I haven't been on Amtrak since the 1970's.

But we would be in a car for 10 hrs if we drove. The other bonus is we fly back. No long drive home! Cost would be $200pp round trip for 4 of us. Would you do it?

More and more people are taking the train to ports these days. DH and I will be taking the Amtrak from Birmingham to New Orleans next March for a cruise on the Carnival Sunshine. Now I know the duration is 7 hours, which is a lot, but understand that I am the only driver since DH is legally blind in one eye and cannot drive. One thing to remember is that we will NOT be checking our luggage. We each will have one carry-one and one large bag. Sometimes Amtrak will take your luggage off the train when stopping at small stations and then forget to place back on the train, thus resulting in lost luggage or delayed. We will take the luggage with us on board knowing that it is safe with us. I believe in being relaxed to and from my vacation so this will work out just fine for us. My problem is trying to find a hotel in the area. Would you believe the hotels are sold out a year in advance already! Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Amtrak allows two carryon bags plus your purse/computer bag. And the measurements are something like 28x22x14, which is huge. the bins above the seats are much larger than airline overheads...I rode one train where a student had a cello in a hard case up in the overhead, and there was plenty of room. EM

Fun thread..when a kid i took Burlington Northern across this state, east to west to church camp all night..we had our own car..every stop more would come to the "camp car' as well as others..but if our car it meant more to sing and play guitar...

Now I would have to take a bus quite a bit north to catch Amtrack..would love to take the train through Canadian Rockies..one here still misses too much night scenery..would love to have the time to cover this country on a train and stop and go...but to combine with a cruise..well..that is retired, double income, or lotto..LOL...great thread; from where I live..not good connections. sarah

PS..Would love to do more of Europe again on train..would love this country to get better with it..we may..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

• 6 months later...

I would just do the flight in the day before... I'm a believer in making the whole vacation experience as stress free as possible, from start to finish... But if you rather do car, then I would do the train, if the same time frame... Least on a train, they do the driving, and you can get up and walk about, restroom breaks easy, and food on train.

good luck

I am trying to avoid the 20 hour round trip drive to/from Jacksonville. I can find good airfare from JAX to either BWI or DCA. But getting to JAX by air is too expensive for us. I will only fly a direct flight the day of sailing & the day before you have the hotel cost also.

So has anyone taken Amtrak? If so how was it?

This would be an 11.5 hour trip by train. I have no idea about being on a train for that long. I haven't been on Amtrak since the 1970's.

But we would be in a car for 10 hrs if we drove. The other bonus is we fly back. No long drive home! Cost would be $200pp round trip for 4 of us. Would you do it?

11.5 is not bad, way better than driving but much longer than that and you will want to get a sleeper . but 11.5 I would just do coach. the seats are bigger than airline seats plus you can take 2 checked and 2 carry on bags per person. plus no crazy airline security. you can pack your self some snacks or lunch or buy something from train. there is also a lounge car you can play cards . your seat has leg rest and reclines pretty far . I even sneak on a couple pre made drinks. I did coach for 20 hrs and that was to much . but 11.5 no problem

• 5 months later...

Scheduled to sail for the first time on Dream on 6/29. Live in Birmingham so could take the train from Birmingham to New Orleans. I realize we will have to travel to New Orleans the day before. Someone suggested the Sheraton for the hotel that night. Trip time is not much different then driving for us. My question is will we need a hotel room on the day we disembark? Train leaves at 12:08. Thank you!

12:08 in the morning, or afternoon?

If it leaves at 12:08pm then you'll be fine, take a taxi from the port to the amtrak station near the superdome. If it leaves at 12:08am, then you can either get a room, or find some way to store your luggage for a long time while you enjoy the city.

We often find after getting off the ship we are ready for a nap by the time we check in for the hotel, around noon.

12:08 in the morning, or afternoon?

If it leaves at 12:08pm then you'll be fine, take a taxi from the port to the amtrak station near the superdome. If it leaves at 12:08am, then you can either get a room, or find some way to store your luggage for a long time while you enjoy the city.

We often find after getting off the ship we are ready for a nap by the time we check in for the hotel, around noon.

12:08 pm (noon) It will definitely save us some money if we can travel back the same day.

I would be very careful. Make sure you leave plenty of time to get there to allow for delays. Plan on arriving the day before and not the day of. I used to travel Amtrak often to Chicago, as I only live 2 hours south, and it seems to always be late. Especially the trains that come from far away. I'm thinking specifically of the one that goes from Texas to Chicago. It's unfortunate, I think it would be a great way to travel if it could be a little more reliable time wise.

I actually looked at taking the Amtrak to New Orleans and it was going to be around $700 for my husband and I and that was just for coach seats and it was going to be a 19 hour ride. For us, I'd rather rent a car and drive.

I'm not saying don't do it, just don't think you'll get there when they say you will. Just have plenty of time. Around here, and I'm not sure about the rest of the country, the freight train companies like Norfolk Southern etc.., they own the tracks. When Amtrak travels on them, they have an allowed amount of time they are allowed to be off schedule. For example, they are supposed to be crossing X track at 8:30pm and they really cross it at 8:40. The freight train will wait for them and let them go. But the later the Amtrak train gets, they lose that leeway they have and the Amtrak now has to wait to cross X track because the freight train is on it. Sometimes that can take a long time... or there are a lot of crossings, like up by Chicago. It can really delay the Amtrak.

Yes, but not more then just a couple of hrs. For us, taking a cruise out of NYC, if we drove and parked it would be $40 a day parking at the pier. Just a 1 week cruise would cost $280. We can take the train into NYC for $28 pp for for less than $60 for the both of us, it makes sense. On a longer trip, I'b be VERY leery!!!! A few yrs ago, friends took the train up from Fla to NYC. (Not in conjunction with a cruise) It was SEVEN HOURS LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train from Birmingham to New Orleans is supposed to be 7.5 hours would be a 6 hour drive without stops so I think if we come in on Saturday before the cruise on Sunday we will be fine. Still trying to decide about disembark day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be traveling from Birmingham to New Orleans. Amtrak should be 7.5 hours. If we drove it would be 6 hours. So I think we will be fine to come in on Saturday before cruise. Still trying to decide whether to stay over on Sunday that we disembark or return that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were VERY HAPPY with Amtrak! This was an interesting cruise. It started in Philadelphia and ended in Charleston SC! It is an easy 4 1/2 hour drive to Charleston for us. We looked at renting a car in Charleston and leaving it in Philly but those were hard to find car rentals willing to do this, then the drive, stopping for gas, potty stops, etc. My husband figured it out. We drove to Charleston two days before cruise and left our car in hotel for free, 14 days. We got sandwiches and for lunch & KFC for dinner next day. We got on train at 10am next morning. Seats were better than 1st class on a plane. They had sort of a dining car for hamburgers, hot dogs & beer with booths for sitting. We got off the train at 10:30 that night and went to our hotel. We loved Amtrak and would do it again, time went by fast.

I've probably posted in here before because we've taken Amtrak from Philly to FL for cruises and Disney many times and flown as well....and once again it's Amtrak for our fall cruise from Miami....

this time I had enough Amtrak points for a roundtrip free ride for me, granddaughter free one way and only had to pay $96 to add enough points to finish her coming home....so we both will be going roundtrip for $96....

we don't mind Amtrak at all...we enjoy the good, anticipate and prepare for issues or inconveniences and then we put up with what couldn't be fixed and it's all worth it for us.....:)

The problem with Amtrak is erratic times due to its subservience on the rail lines after the owners abandoned passenger service for totally freight service. Other than in the northeast corridor, I wouldn't rely on Amtrak to get me anywhere on time, even though it is vastly more comfortable and enjoyable than flying.

If we had a reliable high speed rail network like there is throughout Europe and parts of Asia, and if regular trans ocean liners returned, I would never enter an airport again.

IF is a word we could use with a lot of things including Amtrak....

some can use Amtrak, some can't...if you travel with build in "ifs" that could go a long way in using Amtrak.....

we traveled Amtrak clear from the east coast to the west and back again....I depended on Amtrak to get me there and back and it delivered....my kids who were 12 and 17 (11 years ago) at the time still say it was a memorable adventure (in a good way LOL) and they've traveled to Europe, Asia, Canada and cruised the Caribbean....they've had plenty of adventures since sans Amtrak but have good memories on Amtrak

on that coast to coast Amtrak trip, we scheduled to arrive a certain day and we did and vice versa....we were not going on a cruise but I would do it and just plan to arrive a day earlier....Amtrak can be depended on to do that, interruptions and all.....it depends on your "getting there on time" plan and if you are willing to have that possibility if you don't arrive on the hour specified

you simply use it for what you can if it works for your plan or if you can incorporate it in your plan....

I disagree that you can only depend on Amtrak for the east coast corridor and many, many others would too with travels to show for it....