Nicest Sand?

Musigurl

We were planning on Sapphire Beach, but now I've heard that the sand there isn't too soft -- in fact, someone described it as being mainly broken seashells, and very coarse. Also, heard that there was a big drop-off when entering the water.

Can anyone confirm either of these, and if so, recommend a better beach?

We had planned to avoid Magens because of expected crowds.

We were planning on Sapphire Beach, but now I've heard that the sand there isn't too soft -- in fact, someone described it as being mainly broken seashells, and very coarse. Also, heard that there was a big drop-off when entering the water.

Can anyone confirm either of these, and if so, recommend a better beach?

We had planned to avoid Magens because of expected crowds.

You might check how many ships are in port that day. Last week with one ship in port Magen's had about a hundred people - not crowded at all.

Magens will be the most crowded beach for sure, we visited Magens while staying at Sapphire last week and although there was one small ship in port the beach was pretty crowded all the way to one end of the bay and not quite the other. Just a very popularized beach and the most well-known.

Sapphire is nothing like you described, you will be very happy there. Many folks who stay on STT or visit frequently consider Sapphire the #1 beach and Secret Harbor #2 or vice versa. Coki has the softest sand of any STT beaches I think, but all are nice. We just returned from spending a week at Sapphire and the sand is as nice as ever and no drop off we came across. There are beaches with softer powdered sugar sand like in Barbados, the BVI, and St John. And we found last year that even Bermuda's gorgeous beaches can be rough when the sand is pulled out with the tide because of the pink coral in the sand. But Sapphire is not a coarse-sand beach by any means. Where did you get that "information" on Sapphire? :rolleyes:

Thanks for easing my fears!

My "info" came from someone on my roll call -- this is what they posted:

"We have only been to St. Thomas once so far and we visited Sapphire Beach. We found the sand to be very coarse. It was broken shells and not sand. The water also dropped off rather quickly from about 1 foot to 3 feet in depth. Our little girls did not like these two facts, so we will be trying a different beach this visit."

Thanks again, and I think we'll stick with Sapphire.

Magens will be the most crowded beach for sure, we visited Magens while staying at Sapphire last week and although there was one small ship in port the beach was pretty crowded all the way to one end of the bay and not quite the other. Just a very popularized beach and the most well-known.

Sapphire is nothing like you described, you will be very happy there. Many folks who stay on STT or visit frequently consider Sapphire the #1 beach and Secret Harbor #2 or vice versa. Coki has the softest sand of any STT beaches I think, but all are nice. We just returned from spending a week at Sapphire and the sand is as nice as ever and no drop off we came across. There are beaches with softer powdered sugar sand like in Barbados, the BVI, and St John. And we found last year that even Bermuda's gorgeous beaches can be rough when the sand is pulled out with the tide because of the pink coral in the sand. But Sapphire is not a coarse-sand beach by any means. Where did you get that "information" on Sapphire? :rolleyes:

We've seen suspect posts from ppl who could gain from them (like vendors at other beaches) but I can't imagine that to be the case here. All I can think is that they were in a particular area where there was broken coral and shells that had come ashore after a storm or sea swell. There is a large area to the right of the dive center (from bldg B all the way to the marina) that is all rocky and more expert snorkelers go there for the snorkeling. But the sandy area is typically very nice and clean. There was a swell the first couple days of our stay there but the beach was nice all week as it has been on previous visits. So probably just lousy luck with a prior storm and it's too bad as it is a nice spot to spend the day...

Archived