Passport question

ajtaylor29

i'm confused about the passport requirements for excursions between islands. Out of our group of 5, we all have passports except my sons friend who is travelling only with a birth certificate.

If we take an excursion between islands (like St. Thomas to St. John, or Tortola to Virgin Gorda) do we have to have a passport?

I've probably still got time to see if his friend can get one, i'd hate to miss out on some of the best excursions and beaches, but i don't want to ask his parents to pay for one if he doesn't need it!

Thanks!

We did an excursion from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda, and we did need our passports.

well, that's what i'm trying to figure out. So, St. Thomas to VG is USVI to BVI, right..., which might be why passport is required? if you go St Thomas to St John, that's USVI to USVI, so maybe a passport is not needed there...?

No, you don't need a passport to go from St Thomas to St John, but if you are on a cruise, don't you all need a passport??

And to SeaBands: If you went to the BVI on an excursion from the USVI, one of the crew took your information and did C& I for you.

well, that's what i'm trying to figure out. So, St. Thomas to VG is USVI to BVI, right..., which might be why passport is required? if you go St Thomas to St John, that's USVI to USVI, so maybe a passport is not needed there...?

You're right aj -

BVI = Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, and Anegada

USVI = St Thomas, St John, and St Croix

You definitely need a current passport for entry into the BVI whether by plane, ferry, private charter, or water taxi. You do not need a passport for travel between these islands, but you do for travel between the BVI and USVI.

No passport is required for entry into the USVI by plane or back into the States by plane

You're right aj -

BVI = Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, and Anegada

USVI = St Thomas, St John, and St Croix

You definitely need a current passport for entry into the BVI whether by plane, ferry, private charter, or water taxi. You do not need a passport for travel between these islands, but you do for travel between the BVI and USVI.

No passport is required for entry into the USVI by plane or back into the States by plane

thank you so much! This is what i needed to know!

A passport book is not required to cross from STT to BVI. A passport card will suffice and costs $55 instead of $135 for the book.

From http://www.bvitourism.com/entry-requirements

U.S. citizens travelling by air to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda must present a passport or other WHTI-compliant documentation to enter or depart from the United States.

From http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=1378524

Last year we had a group of people traveling with us. In that group was my daughter and her two children, who we purchased the passport cards for because they do not travel that much. We landed in St. Thomas and stayed there, but during the week we went over to the BVI for day, had to show them where we usually hang out. Their cards were fine. As long as you don't plan on flying into or out of EIS passport cards are fine. You will be arriving to the BVI by sea and NOT by air. I was worried at first about all of the responses that I recieved everywhere, people said get the passport book... the card won't work... but yes we got the cards and they worked just fine save the money and have a great time

All the local STT people who work daily in the BVI use passport cards. You do need the book for international air travel

arriving in BVI by air yes, passport book.... arriving by boat/ferry WHTI compliant card....

A passport book is not required to cross from STT to BVI. A passport card will suffice and costs $55 instead of $135 for the book.

From http://www.bvitourism.com/entry-requirements

U.S. citizens travelling by air to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda must present a passport or other WHTI-compliant documentation to enter or depart from the United States.

From http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=1378524

Last year we had a group of people traveling with us. In that group was my daughter and her two children, who we purchased the passport cards for because they do not travel that much. We landed in St. Thomas and stayed there, but during the week we went over to the BVI for day, had to show them where we usually hang out. Their cards were fine. As long as you don't plan on flying into or out of EIS passport cards are fine. You will be arriving to the BVI by sea and NOT by air. I was worried at first about all of the responses that I recieved everywhere, people said get the passport book... the card won't work... but yes we got the cards and they worked just fine save the money and have a great time

All the local STT people who work daily in the BVI use passport cards. You do need the book for international air travel

arriving in BVI by air yes, passport book.... arriving by boat/ferry WHTI compliant card....

A passport card isn't even a consideration for most of us, that's why it isn't mentioned dw. it may be fine I don't know because I need a passport book for traveling. Until recently you could enter the BVI by sea using a gov't issued ID and raised-seal BC. That is no longer the case.

A passport card isn't even a consideration for most of us, that's why it isn't mentioned dw. it may be fine I don't know because I need a passport book for traveling. Until recently you could enter the BVI by sea using a gov't issued ID and raised-seal BC. That is no longer the case.

You are correct that BC/DL is no longer sufficient to enter BVI by ferry from st thomas. A WHTI compliant ID is required. A passport book will work, but so will a passport card which is less expensive...and cost was a concern for OP.

Yes the card is $65 cheaper for a 15 yr old (card price for minor is $40, for a book it's $105). But it is not valid for international travel by air so I would opt for the book since it's valid for 5 yrs (unless his son's friend will never travel internationally by air of course).

But per AJ's question, they may not be traveling between the USVI and the BVI so hopefully it's a moot point for them!

Yes the card is $65 cheaper for a 15 yr old (card price for minor is $40, for a book it's $105). But it is not valid for international travel by air so I would opt for the book since it's valid for 5 yrs (unless his son's friend will never travel internationally by air of course).

But per AJ's question, they may not be traveling between the USVI and the BVI so hopefully it's a moot point for them!

I love these boards - everybody's advise and knowledge sharing is SO helpful (this is only my 2nd cruise so i'm still pretty much a newbie!!)

Thanks to all the feedback, my plan now is to stay w/in USVI while in St. Thomas (probably an excursion to St. John), and BVI while in Torola (to VG and the Baths), which solves the passport problem. We're also going to Antigua, and will stay on that island that day. We stayed there for a week 2 years ago and loved it - so beautiful!

And, the best part of it all - in 36 days I'll be on the Freedom!!!!!

Calgon, take me away....

AJ, we've cruised to Antigua a few times and I've been making plans for a couple years to get back there for a couple weeks. We loved Lawrence of Antigua's tour and our day on the Excellence. Where did you stay, and what did you like/dislike about the place? I 'm looking at both condos and resorts, still haven't decised but we're getting close.

Have a great cruise, St John has some beautiful beaches. We stay right at Sapphire on St Thomas which is also nice. If you're cruising to Tortola this cruise let me know. We stay there and I can give you some insight as I'm sure others here can.

AJ, we've cruised to Antigua a few times and I've been making plans for a couple years to get back there for a couple weeks. We loved Lawrence of Antigua's tour and our day on the Excellence. Where did you stay, and what did you like/dislike about the place? I 'm looking at both condos and resorts, still haven't decised but we're getting close.

Have a great cruise, St John has some beautiful beaches. We stay right at Sapphire on St Thomas which is also nice. If you're cruising to Tortola this cruise let me know. We stay there and I can give you some insight as I'm sure others here can.

We booked a private house through VRBO (have you looked there?) The name of the property was Shell Villa, 3 bedrooms/3 baths but we only rented 2 b/2 baths so they just locked off the other br.

what i liked: it was a quiet area of homes. From the property you couldn't see other houses although they were close by. Lots of trees, plants, etc well maintained. It was on a rocky beach but a 5 minute walk over to the sandy beach. We spent a lot of time out on the deck admiring the gorgeous views. It had a small pool, the teenagers spent a lot of time in there! The house is not air conditioned and doesn't have wifi or satellite. To me - that was a plus! i spent a week totally relaxing without cell phones or 24/7 tv blaring - sort of like a cruise ship! - but my hubby had trouble sleeping a couple of nights because he gets hot so easy. i liked slipping under the bug net and listening to the surf while i fell asleep. Pure heaven.You also need to decide if you're up for cooking/shopping, since you won't have restaurants preparing all your meals like you will at a resort. It worked out for us, saved money but it is more work....! Let me know if you want more info about Antigua.

Yes, we're going to Tortola as well. Antigua is the only port of the 4 that i've been too, i want to see/do a lot but also want to relax. i'll have my husband, 2 sons (27 and 17) and sons friend (18). The more i read about excursions the more indecisive i'm becoming! Some (like St. Thomas and/or Tortola) i'm tempted to just taxi to a beach instead of the long (read expensive) sail to another island...yes, after all the questions about passports!! :) I'm asking myself: since you've never been to St. Thomas, why leave immediately and head to St. John? Since youve never been to Tortola, why leave and go to Virgin Gorda? I'm sure there are beautiful things to see there, and besides - this is only my first vist - i WILL be back! So, as you can see i have not made any decisions at all, so tell me what you think!

A passport is recommended but not required for US citizens departing from and returning to the US on a cruise ship. The rules are different for non-US citizens.

It is recommended because if you miss the boat and have to fly into a port you need a passport for that. So if all goes as planned no worries; if there's a problem you could be in a world of hurt, that's why we never travel anywhere without a passport with at least 6 mos left on it.

If you are on a cruise and stopping at Antigua, you will need a passport, so I am still wondering about the friend with no passport...:confused:

Should not be an issue. Cruise ship pax can go for the day using whatever docs they used to get on the ship, such as BC/DL.

The issue arises if you want to travel between islands belonging to different countries via plane or ferry. Then, BC/DL will not suffice.

Should not be an issue. Cruise ship pax can go for the day using whatever docs they used to get on the ship, such as BC/DL.

That's accurate if the passenger is a US citizen departing from and returning to a US port on a cruise ship.

AJ yes we do use VRBO in some areas, that's how we found a great owner on Sapphire Beach on STT. We're looking at Agave Landings on Antigua to get away from the resort experience.

What are your interests on Tortola? Beaches, the Baths on VG. Have you been there before?

That's accurate if the passenger is a US citizen departing from and returning to a US port on a cruise ship.

And if they're not a US citizen, the docs required for them to board the ship (generally a passport) will get them into the BVI for the day. So my statement stands. ;)

The only exception I can think of is countries from whom a visa is required ... in which case a bare passport won't work either.

AJ yes we do use VRBO in some areas, that's how we found a great owner on Sapphire Beach on STT. We're looking at Agave Landings on Antigua to get away from the resort experience.

What are your interests on Tortola? Beaches, the Baths on VG. Have you been there before?

Have never been to Tortola before. The problem is we're only there 7-2:30, i'm afraid trying to get to VG is going to be a stretch, especially trying to get teenagers up and out that early to race for the ferry, etc. Thinking maybe that day just heading to a nice beach and relaxing?

That would be my suggestion aj. the Baths are nice but you need more time for everyone to enjoy that excursion.

The nicest beach on Tortola is Smuggler's Cove but there are zero amenities there. You have 3 other options that will work well for your family -

Brewer's Bay is also a very nice beach and has one beach bar (Nicole's) and chair rentals and restrooms. Good snorkeling there too just as at SC.

Cane Garden Bay is where the bulk of your fellow cruisers will head to, there will be at least 5 safari taxis dropping 25 ppl off at a time. There are 6 beach bars as well as jet ski and boat rentals - CGB has everything and so is the main choice. We've stayed at Myett's and gone to SC when the crowds come in, but CGB is a nice beach, large bay, and you will get great burgers at Stanley's Welcome Bar, I think we ate there everyday when we first stayed in CGB.

Long Bay is a picture postcard beach, longbay with a nice sandy swimming area on the north end. The Long Bay Resort also offers a day pass for use of their pool, $25pp, or $45pp with 2 drinks and a burger. You can e-mail them for more details.

Dw not sure what point you're trying to make but ok, the info I posted is accurate and clear and Aj has the information needed.;)

Dw not sure what point you're trying to make but ok, the info I posted is accurate and clear and Aj has the information needed.;)

My response was to O2B@Cagain. The question was whether passports are required for cruise ship pax to Antigua. Your response did not address the requirement for non-US citizens to Antigua. Mine did and applies to both US and non-US citizens. Go back and re-read if that's not clear.

If Aj has solved his/her problem, great but it's important to have precise ID requirements posted here in case others read this thread in future.

A passport card isn't even a consideration for most of us, that's why it isn't mentioned dw. it may be fine I don't know

A passport card is fine and I provided multiple sources backing it up.

If you want to recommend a passport book, great. It provides flexibility to travel by air. But please don't mention that a passport book is REQUIRED when in fact it is not.

Archived