Passport question

ajtaylor29

If you want to recommend a passport book, great. It provides flexibility to travel by air. But please don't mention that a passport book is REQUIRED when in fact it is not.

Lol dw...you're misquoting but whatever it takes!:p I said a current passport is required, I said nothing about a book - Go back and re-read if that's not clear"

But thanks for your contribution, and I think we've beat this dead horse quite enough - LOL!

That would be my suggestion aj. the Baths are nice but you need more time for everyone to enjoy that excursion.

The nicest beach on Tortola is Smuggler's Cove but there are zero amenities there. You have 3 other options that will work well for your family -

Brewer's Bay is also a very nice beach and has one beach bar (Nicole's) and chair rentals and restrooms. Good snorkeling there too just as at SC.

Cane Garden Bay is where the bulk of your fellow cruisers will head to, there will be at least 5 safari taxis dropping 25 ppl off at a time. There are 6 beach bars as well as jet ski and boat rentals - CGB has everything and so is the main choice. We've stayed at Myett's and gone to SC when the crowds come in, but CGB is a nice beach, large bay, and you will get great burgers at Stanley's Welcome Bar, I think we ate there everyday when we first stayed in CGB.

Long Bay is a picture postcard beach, longbay with a nice sandy swimming area on the north end. The Long Bay Resort also offers a day pass for use of their pool, $25pp, or $45pp with 2 drinks and a burger. You can e-mail them for more details.

Dw not sure what point you're trying to make but ok, the info I posted is accurate and clear and Aj has the information needed.;)

Thanks, Blue! Think i'm getting closer to making final plans, appreciate your info for Tortola.

St. Thomas, i'm thinking about a day sail/snorkel, private rental - what are your recommendations?

Thanks, Blue! Think i'm getting closer to making final plans, appreciate your info for Tortola.

St. Thomas, i'm thinking about a day sail/snorkel, private rental - what are your recommendations?

Several options for a daysail w/ snorkel stops, many of the best go out of the Red Hook and Sapphire Marinas which are close together and a $9pp taxi each way from Havensight.

Here are some highly recommended ops you can google and compare -

Yacht Nightwind

High Pockets

Magic Moments (probably the nicest but very pricey)

Captain Max

Fury

We took the New Horizons a couple weeks ago out of Sapphire while staying there. Very nice 65' sailing sloop with lots of room, excellent Italian buffet (my wife is still talking about their green bean salad), and the drinks are really good, Nooners and Painkillers. Moored off Honeymoon Beach / Caneel Bay then off St James. Very nice day for only $75.

For great snorkeling off the beach you can't beat Sapphire, there's a reef and a sea grass area. Coki is also good and a more lively vibe.

Lol dw...you're misquoting but whatever it takes!:p I said a current passport is required, I said nothing about a book - Go back and re-read if that's not clear"

But thanks for your contribution, and I think we've beat this dead horse quite enough - LOL!

LOL the horse would be dead, but for the fact that you keep jabbing it with a stick.

You've made several imprecise statements in this thread about ID requirements and seem to have a problem with being corrected about it.

LOL the horse would be dead, but for the fact that you keep jabbing it with a stick.

You've made several imprecise statements in this thread about ID requirements and seem to have a problem with being corrected about it.

My dear dw - you misquote me and then accuse me of making several imprecise statements - what is your problem really? The info I posted was very accurate (do read the requirements when you get some time and you'll recognize the verbiage I used). And I did correct you on the passport pricing but unlike you I didn't feel a need to be nasty about it. Why are you so antagonistic? Maybe you're just a last word freak and that's fine, just stop with the lying andcheap shots and try to act in a professional manner on the forum. There really is no one else here that enjoys seeing these useless posts, and they certainly do not privide any benefit to the OP.

Take care my friend;)

That I did not know. I got a passport when I first started traveling and thought if I left the borders, I had to have it.

For international air travel a passport book (commonly referred to as passport) is definitely required. But for land/sea travel within the western hemisphere, a lesser requirement applies. http://www.getyouhome.gov has full details.

That would be my suggestion aj. the Baths are nice but you need more time for everyone to enjoy that excursion.

The nicest beach on Tortola is Smuggler's Cove but there are zero amenities there. You have 3 other options that will work well for your family -

Brewer's Bay is also a very nice beach and has one beach bar (Nicole's) and chair rentals and restrooms. Good snorkeling there too just as at SC.

Cane Garden Bay is where the bulk of your fellow cruisers will head to, there will be at least 5 safari taxis dropping 25 ppl off at a time. There are 6 beach bars as well as jet ski and boat rentals - CGB has everything and so is the main choice. We've stayed at Myett's and gone to SC when the crowds come in, but CGB is a nice beach, large bay, and you will get great burgers at Stanley's Welcome Bar, I think we ate there everyday when we first stayed in CGB.

Long Bay is a picture postcard beach, longbay with a nice sandy swimming area on the north end. The Long Bay Resort also offers a day pass for use of their pool, $25pp, or $45pp with 2 drinks and a burger. You can e-mail them for more details. ;)

aj, I forgot to mention that Tortola is a beautiful island to tour with lush vegetation and amazing views from the hilltops overlooking the beautiful bays. We rent a Jeep when there for $50/day, but taxi tours aren't that expensive for an hour or 2 either, and then spending time at a beach can be a great day. And a great spot for a lunch with arguably the nicest view on the island is at the Bananakeet restaurant at the Heritage Inn on Windy Hill Road just up from CGB to the north and Sugar Mill and Bomba's Shack to the south. What a spectacular view of Carrot, Apple, and Long Bays as well as Josts, STT, and Sandy Spit.

Bananakeet is in the same general area as the nice beaches, but since you don't have a lot of time just heading to Brewers or CGB will be much easier for you and you can eat at Nicole's or Stanley's. If you decide to return for a longer stay you can enjoy the great evening happy hours in CGB and at the Bananakeet then :D

aj, I forgot to mention that Tortola is a beautiful island to tour with lush vegetation and amazing views from the hilltops overlooking the beautiful bays. We rent a Jeep when there for $50/day, but taxi tours aren't that expensive for an hour or 2 either, and then spending time at a beach can be a great day. And a great spot for a lunch with arguably the nicest view on the island is at the Bananakeet restaurant at the Heritage Inn on Windy Hill Road just up from CGB to the north and Sugar Mill and Bomba's Shack to the south. What a spectacular view of Carrot, Apple, and Long Bays as well as Josts, STT, and Sandy Spit.

Bananakeet is in the same general area as the nice beaches, but since you don't have a lot of time just heading to Brewers or CGB will be much easier for you and you can eat at Nicole's or Stanley's. If you decide to return for a longer stay you can enjoy the great evening happy hours in CGB and at the Bananakeet then :D

thanks, Blue!

Archived