Earliest flight time out of Athens airport disembarking in Piraeus?

chees

We are scheduled to dock in Piraeus at 8am (but we know how that goes). Based on experience, what is your earliest recommended flight departure time out of Athens?

Thank you,

Tina

What day do you arrive in Athens?

When we arrived in Athens on a Saturday morning, we were getting pushed of our ship, straight into a taxi at 7-8am (though we tried to be the last off at around 9am), and there was NO traffic at all.

Athens airport was very quiet and easy to get around.

I would have comfortably risked an 11am flight and easily made it, though our arrival time was planned at 7am (the ship was docked before 6).

What are your flight time choices?

:D:D:D

About four years ago, we made a 10:30 AM flight. I learned, however, not to cut things that close. The next year we stayed the night in Athens just to avoid the stress of an early flight. Our ship's scheduled arrival was 7AM. We were self disembarking by 7 and were probably the first ones off the ship. I had arranged for a ride to the airport, so we were in the cab in a matter of minutes. The air terminal was somewhat busy, but the time crunch made it seem much busier and I was constantly checking my watch. When we got to the gate, we were able to sit down for about 20 minutes before they began calling the flight. Even though we made it without any real problems, the stress level was pretty high. As I mentioned, we made more leisurely arrangements the next trip.

The port and the airport are a good 30 minute ride once you get on the toll road. We were there in November 2012, in the middle of a general strike and traffic was heavy in the streets, but not on the toll road. Arrange a pick up service, see athens port cruise critics, as off times the strikes include taxis. The check in does take time. We found the airport easy to get around though long lines.

I highly recommend Athens Taxi (www.athenstaxi.org) owned by Paul Kalomiris. We have used his company twice and were impressed by their service, promptness, and friendliness. We definitely will call them next time we visit Athens. :)

I have lived in Athens and agree completely.

The only thing I would caution is that Greece is still in the throws of periodic unrest which could affect all forms of transportation, even taxi's.

I would suggest staying overnight just to see the city then fly out at your leisure the next day. If you get delayed by strikes, the hotels will take care of you and hey - you are in Athens.

Archived