Is it possible to keep cabin but change booking agency?

BarbaraB2

I booked a great cabin a year ago on a Fall cruise that is now completely sold out. The TA cannot discount the cabin as promised and I will not pay $2000 more than others have paid for it. Are there any options other than cancelling and being wait listed?

I booked a great cabin a year ago on a Fall cruise that is now completely sold out. The TA cannot discount the cabin as promised and I will not pay $2000 more than others have paid for it. Are there any options other than cancelling and being wait listed?

Just find an agent that gives you the price you want to pay and switch the booking to them.

Before transferring, aquaint yourself with any fees your first TA may impose. Some TA will treat this as a cancellation from them and I have read from one online agency where if you transfer a booking, their fee is the lost commissions.

Just curious. Your TA gave you an invoice with a higher cost and then promised that they would discount the cruise sometime in the future? My TA has always discounted the cruise when I booked with an invoice that reflected the discount. I would think that this is very common. Some thought for the future, but it does not help you after the fact.

I would be surprised if the price of the cruise that is now sold out is not higher than the price a year ago. Therefore cancelling and rebooking might not be an option. It is easy to transfer from direct Princess to a TA, but I have never transferred from one TA to another TA.

Good luckl

Changing TA's becomes a problem if the TA refuses to go along with the change. The agency may have cancellation fees for you to pay but if the TA puts a foot down then you will have to work the change out with Princess. This, in itself, can be difficult because Princess needs the TA's and if there are no service issues they might have a hard time allowing the change when it is only a matter of money. This helps prevent TA's from sniping other TA's clients by giving better discounts.

You say that you are paying 2000 more than others for the same cabin. Did they get theirs on a last minute sale from Princess? Are you now past the final payment date? If it was a Princess sale for new customers only and you are past final payment date on a sold out ship you don't have many options. Cancel the cabin and go to the bottom of the wait list paying any penalties owing and maybe get on but you might also be number 113 on the wait list and be out of luck or just plain cancel again paying the penalties. There had to be some kind of limited sale pricing going on as there is no way regardless of cabin level suites included that one TA can offer you the same product for 2K less than another. It's impossible.

Sorry didn't see fall cruise. You are not within the final payment period and can probably canc without penality less anything that TA charges at this point.

On a river cruise i switched from my already booked cabin done directly with cruise company to an online TA and saved substabtially as the TA discounted his commission BUT this was all before final payment ..and yes the ship was sold out.

We did a three way conference phone call between TA ( once he confirmed to me his price) and the river cruise company to switch over the booking. I phd in my Visa number to the new TA and they then passed the info onto the river cruise company for my final payment.

This one is routine. We always book a future cruise credit with Princess when we are onboard. When the time comes to book a cruise my TA picks it up and has it from there. Most if not all cruise lines allow this as a routine practice. We have also done it when we booked a specific cruise onboard because of the reduced deposit required. Between two TAs could turn into a cat fight. I still have a rough time believing one TA can offer a product that much cheaper. I know my TA well and for a fact is making less than 800 commission on our next cruise for which I am paying 23k. What she has to share out of that with her agency I don't know.

We transferred a booking from one TA to another by faxing a transfer request to Princess and the new TA took over. Kept same cabin and got a lower price.

Was the orginal booking made directly by you and Princess or was it made through the first travel agent? I am trying to get an accurate accounting of the transaction in order to move forward.

Thank you!

The problem I see is that the original TA "promised" to discount the fare but now can't do it. Was this promise in writing? If not, learn from this experience and insist on the lower price up front or get it in writing what the final price will be and what your rights/options are if the price doesn't decrease. Since the TA isn't delivering as promised, maybe they'll be agreeable to transferring the booking to another TA that can offer a lower price...

Good Luck,

Paul

Was the orginal booking made directly by you and Princess or was it made through the first travel agent? I am trying to get an accurate accounting of the transaction in order to move forward.

Thank you!

The original booking was made thru the first TA. We then found a different TA who had a better price. Second TA advised us to fax a request to Princess stating we wanted to transfer our booking from TA#1 to TA#2. Hope this helps.

Yes - it's very, very simple. I did it just yesterday. Fax (or snail mail) in the request to Princess that you want the booking changed to a different agency.

Provide:

Your: name, address, phone number, booking number, ship, sail date

Current agent, address, phone number

Agent you want to change your booking to (INCLUDING their booking phone number - the one they do all their bookings under, not necessarily the one you call).

Reason

It took less than 24 hrs. for them to get the booking switched for me. They are on top of their game right now! ;)

Archived