Miami Princess transfer question

Mary Ann 2

We will be flying into Miami arriving at 12:35. The Cruise Personalizer says flights coming into Miami need to arrive by 1:30. The ship leaves at 4.

My question is for anyone who has used a transfer from Miami. When do you think the last bus leaves for Ft. Lauderdale? I know that cruises normally don't leave at 4, but I am just looking for a general idea like "we got the last bus to Ft. Lauderdale and it was 2 hours before the ship was to leave" or one hour or whatever.

We normally fly in the night before, but work circumstances prevent it and this is the flight that we ended up with. I am getting nervous now about the tight window -which I am not used to- and am just hoping to get a better idea of what will actually happen if the plane ends up being late -good chance since after I got the tickets, it said this flight is only on time 40% of the time :(

I'm looking for some of your experiences. When is the latest that they leave Miami and when is the latest that they allow boarding?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

If the ship sails at 4:00pm, you must be checked in and on the ship by 3:00pm. That's the Homeland Security regulation; the manifest must be submitted at least an hour before sailing. Unlike your experience, most of my cruises have sailed on time... or early. When I was on the Island Princess last September, we sailed from Vancouver 15-20 minutes early, during Muster (which started on time.) By the time Muster was over, Canada Place was already way in the distance behind us. So, never depend or assume the ship will sail late.

Back to your flight, I agree with Princess. By the time your flight lands at MIA (and you'd better hope it's not late), you get your luggage ( which can take half an hour or more), get to the pier (at least 45-60 minutes), and check in by 3:00pm, you won't have much wiggle room.

Oh, I didn't mean that I thought the ship wouldn't leave at 4. I just meant that most of the cruises that I have taken out of FLL have left at a later time like 5.

I, of course, am worrying that 12:35 is not much time from their 1:30 cutoff if the plane is late. (Last summer, every flight we took to and from our cruise was late - no plane, no crew, weather, etc. - but even then, we never left more than an hour late.) They "approved" this flight on the Cruise Personalizer, but I know that doesn't mean much.

I was just hoping to hear from someone who had come in on the last approved flight time (in this case 1:30) to hear how tight the connection actually was.

These airline tickets already cost a fortune (why I chose Miami over FLL which was even more) because it's spring break. I'm trying to decide whether to pay the $300 penalty to try to change our flight as I didn't know months ago when I booked them that we would need to get into Miami earlier. The only time we previously flew into Miami there was not even a bus leaving for FLL until noon, so 12:30 seemed reasonable at the time!

Oh, I didn't mean that I thought the ship wouldn't leave at 4. I just meant that most of the cruises that I have taken out of FLL have left at a later time like 5.

Don't know why, but a few months ago many Princess sailings that used to leave at 5 PM from Port Everglades started being scheduled to leave at 4 PM.

A private taxi ride from Miami airport to Port Everglades takes about 45 to 60 mins with no traffic. Cost about $75. So you have a little, but not much play if the plane is late or you get stuck in traffic.

If you booked through Princess EZ Air and take the Princess Transfer Princess may wait some before sailing. If you didn't you are on your own.

Make sure you complete all the immigration information on line within the required time line. This will help if you are late.

If possible I would recommend an earlier flight, even if you have to pay extra change fees. If you can fly into Fort Lauderdale Airport go there. It is only 15mis from the pier.

Don't know why, but a few months ago many Princess sailings that used to leave at 5 PM from Port Everglades started being scheduled to leave at 4 PM.

To save the charges for one hour alongside, and to add the hour

to sailing time -- possibly resulting in requiring a slower speed / less fuel.

It's only one hour, but it really make a suprising difference in

the first afternoon. Much more rushed. More rushed for

crew as well, as they have to be back on board by 3:00 PM

Archived