Vatican Tickets - differences in the ticket options?

CCJack

I would like to pre purchase Vatican tickets - since it has been suggested here that that is a way to help skip the long lines... My question is... there seems to be several tickets available on line.. as an exmaple there is the vatican museum admission, as well as an individual guided tour (and others.)

Between these two do they both have the same "line skipping" benefits, or would the more expensive guided tour allow you to skip even more lines??

Also there is not a time duration listed for the guided tour, any advice on that..

thanks very much.

I would like to pre purchase Vatican tickets - since it has been suggested here that that is a way to help skip the long lines... My question is... there seems to be several tickets available on line.. as an exmaple there is the vatican museum admission, as well as an individual guided tour (and others.)

Between these two do they both have the same "line skipping" benefits, or would the more expensive guided tour allow you to skip even more lines??

Also there is not a time duration listed for the guided tour, any advice on that..

thanks very much.

Hi,

As was previously mentioned, both the guided tours and the prebooked museum admission would have the same benefits regarding skipping the long entrance lines.

There are several guided tours offered through the Vatican Museum's website:

Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel (duration of the tour is approximately 2 hours)

Vatican Gardens (duration of the tour is approximately 2 hours)

Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's Basilica (duration of the tour is 3 hours)

Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's Basilica - Art & Faith (duration of the tour is 3 hours)

Hope this helps. :)

jill

• 2 weeks later...

Just buy the normal no line ticket (I think it is 20Euros now)....the Vatican provided tours weren't so great and they stop before the Sistine Chapel (they put you in front of Sistine Chapel posters to discuss it at the onset of the visit). Also the Vatican Museum tours did not include the Basilica.

I would buy the normal no line tickets and go on our own.

Hi,

As was previously mentioned, both the guided tours and the prebooked museum admission would have the same benefits regarding skipping the long entrance lines.

There are several guided tours offered through the Vatican Museum's website:

Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel (duration of the tour is approximately 2 hours)

Vatican Gardens (duration of the tour is approximately 2 hours)

Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's Basilica (duration of the tour is 3 hours)

Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's Basilica - Art & Faith (duration of the tour is 3 hours)

Hope this helps. :)

jill

Which one is the "normal" ticket?

Just buy the normal no line ticket (I think it is 20Euros now)....the Vatican provided tours weren't so great and they stop before the Sistine Chapel (they put you in front of Sistine Chapel posters to discuss it at the onset of the visit). Also the Vatican Museum tours did not include the Basilica.

The guides tell you about the Sistine Chapel in front of posters because there is a no talking rule in the Sistine Chapel.

We always book tickets in advance without a tour. DH has mobility issues and needs to rest often. We don't need the pressure to keep up with a group. I use podcasts and books.

We used the free apps on Rick Steve's site at the Sistene and St. Peter's Basilica. That was such a good idea. Try to find a place to sit at the Sistene and allow the app to guide you. We ended up sit splitter headphones for my KindleFire. We also wanted to pace ourselves rather than use a guide. I think we had an amazing self guided tour. I bought a book at the Vatican Museum to help us understand. It wasn't that helpful. Rick Steve's (once again) gives a very adequate explanation in his book.

We bought the tickets online in the USA- so easy. We just got the basic entrance/no guided tour. We were amazed that we just kept being able to walk and not wait just because we had that voucher! We also got our ticket entrance time changed once we got there. I thought we would need more time to get there- wrong! BTW- just my opinion. I would take a taxi to the Vatican rather than the metro. I never felt so squished in my life and the true stories of pickpockets is unreal. (One fellow traveler on our cruise had his wallet lifted on that train). IMHO. I had a security vest and wasn't nervous about that, but this is one time I would spring for a taxi.

Once again, that "secret exit" from the chapel to the basilica is worth its weight in gold. DON'T go out the suggested exit. So excited for you!

ConnieG

Did you have any trouble taking the "secret" exit? Did you wait for another group or just go to it and go on through?

Since you were able to use your Kindle, does that mean we won't have trouble using our iPhone to listen to Rick Steves? I was concerned that they might not let you turn them on or something?

Thanks!

As I understand it, you can only purchase Vatican tickets 60-days (or less) from the date of your visit - Yes/No?? :confused:

Vatican Museums (and gardens) tickets, yes. They are sold two months (or less) prior. Other parts of the Vatican either don't require tickets (St. Peter's basilica) or tickets can only be purchased on site (the treasury, the cupola).

Personally, we didn't have any trouble taking the secret exit and no one was there to stop us. We followed the recommendation of seeming to "blend in" with a tour group. Sort of like walking in NYC- just look like you know what you are doing and belong there. Think of yourself and your companion/s as a private "tour group". I heard that there have been times that the door was not accessible. If that was me, I would hang back for up to 20 mins. until the situation changed. BTW- my DH learned that I was just a bit more savvy than he was. He kept insisting the way out was the door labeled "exit". Nope! Look for the one on the opposite side of the hall (opposite the Last Judgment) and it is the one on the right side (once again- opposite the "EXIT". You can't get back in, so think this through carefully.

Go to Rick Steve's site and you will see all kinds of apps for Rome and other cities. I didn't esp. enjoy the Colloseum app and learned to use the headphone jack after that. He and the other speaker got a little silly and it would have been okay except other could hear. I purchased a splitter for two sets of headphones to plug into the jack. It worked really well in the Sistene where we just sat next to each other. A little trickier when walking in St. Peter's Basilica, but doable.

Be sure to download the app so that it is on your device rather than in the cloud. It was great having pictures and the audio to guide us.

One thing that I learned about too late is the Scavi tour and it gets booked up way ahead of time. Go to the Vatican's website and look for the link. You send a request in with your date. Try to keep as flexible as possible. I tried about 45 days before and it was full. Others said that the Scavi tour was their best experience.

I can also recommend going out to the Catacombs, the Appian Way and the Claudian Aqueducts. That was MY favorite day and the only organized tour while in Rome. I personally didn't find Rome that easy to navigate by foot. It seems to me that the travel industry there makes it difficult for the independent sorts.

BTW- the Vatican is FULL of pickpockets- esp the trains and buses going there. Be sure to wear some sort of security vest/jacket.

Did you have any trouble taking the "secret" exit? Did you wait for another group or just go to it and go on through?

Since you were able to use your Kindle, does that mean we won't have trouble using our iPhone to listen to Rick Steves? I was concerned that they might not let you turn them on or something?Thanks!

We had to blend in with a tour group, there was a guard on the door stopping individuals and pointing them back to the door marked "Exit". Two women also with a Rick Steve's book were doing just what we did, and we kind of smiled at each other while tucking the book under our jackets and pretending to listen to our 'adopted' tour guide before heading out the door. No trouble using headphones and any kind of device with podcast or recorded tour.

ConnieG

Since you were able to use your Kindle, does that mean we won't have trouble using our iPhone to listen to Rick Steves? I was concerned that they might not let you turn them on or something?

Thanks!

On our last visit to the Sistine Chapel, the chapel was packed!! There was a person at the "tour" exit that would not let you use the tour exit unless you were part of an organized tour that was departing. We just waited till we saw a group headed for the exit & joined them. :)

I think the Sistine chapel is packed most of the time. Guards telling people to be quiet, no photos. It was pretty much like sardines.

I heard that the Sistine chapel may have a ticketed entrance in the future because of the "irreverant nature" of the visitors.

I think the Sistine chapel is packed most of the time. Guards telling people to be quiet, no photos. It was pretty much like sardines.

I heard that the Sistine chapel may have a ticketed entrance in the future because of the "irreverant nature" of the visitors.

Wow ... a ticketed entrance? Really? Your post is the first I have heard of a ticketed entrance. I wonder how that would ameliorate the issue of the "irreverant nature" of the visitors. :confused: I, too, have noticed the priests constantly admonishing the crowds with "silenzio". Didn't diminish the din at all. I wonder if they would need to restrict the number of people in the chapel at a given time in order to decrease the decibel level ... hmmm....

I have had the good fortune to have visitied the Sistine when it was not packed. Depends on what time of the year you visit & the time of day. Very enjoyable experience when it is not crowded. :)

jill

thanks very much.

From what I recall, I don't think you can make reservations for the "normal" tickets on the Vatican site until 60 days in advance.

Not sure what days you're going to be in Rome, but for the past few years, the Vatican Museums have opened on Friday evenings (7-11pm; last entry at 9:30pm) from May-mid July and again in the fall. I'm planning a trip for my brother and SIL, and am waiting to see if they're going to continue the Friday evening hours this spring. I've been told that the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel are much less crowded during these special openings.

Rick Steves' Audio Europe 2012 app is available on from Google Play. It's free. As ConnieG mentioned, make sure you've downloaded the audio tours and podcasts you need, rather than having them stream.

Enjoy your trip!

I know the Vatican-led tour stops at the Sistine Chapel, but would be still be allowed to use the group exit door towards St Peter's without having to blend? We don't have enough time for a real private tour.

That kind of stuff stresses me out. :D

Would I be able to ask my Vatican tour guide to show us to that door and have the guard let us through? We're there on a Wednesday so the Vatican/Sistine Chapel/St. Peter's combo isn't available to be booked.

I know the Vatican-led tour stops at the Sistine Chapel, but would be still be allowed to use the group exit door towards St Peter's without having to blend? We don't have enough time for a real private tour.

That kind of stuff stresses me out. :D

Would I be able to ask my Vatican tour guide to show us to that door and have the guard let us through? We're there on a Wednesday so the Vatican/Sistine Chapel/St. Peter's combo isn't available to be booked.

Just go for it. Don't ask the guide--they will tell you no. It's much easier than it sounds. DH and I just walked straight through.

I heard the Vatican does not accept anymore credit cards, how can we pre purchase it? Thanks. AC60:confused:

Archived