Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

They have already said that Sunshine will be around 160000 GRT, so about the same size as Freedom class.

According to an article today from Seatrade Insider, they now list QUANTUM OF THE SEAS as 167,000 gt, up from the original press release from Royal Caribbean at 158,000 gt. 4100 passengers is listed as the lower berth capacity.

This will make QUANTUM larger than NCL's new Breakaway Plus order at 163,000 gt, and also the largest cruise ship ever built at Meyer-Werft in Germany. Both the new Royal Caribbean and NCL ships are being built at Meyer-Werft. Breakaway Plus will have a lower berth capacity of 4200, so 100 more passengers although she will be slightly smaller in gt (at least for now). It would not surprise me if NCL were to somehow up the tonnage of Breakaway Plus before this is all over.

What is interesting is we still have no dimensions for QUANTUM. I'm very curious what the length, width, height, and draft will be. I imagine these dimensions will be very close to Breakaway Plus, which I believe is pushing the limit of the maximum size of ship that can be constructed at Meyer-Werft.

Ernie

I know you know what they mean, but as Cotswold Eagle points out, the term originated in physics as a description of a change from one energy state to another. However, as a popular idiom, it has come to mean a "great, sudden, or discontinuous change." So what the RCI folks are saying is that the Quantums (OK Carol what is the plural of Quantum Quanta?) will be dramatically and radically different. We'll see.

Yes Quantum sounds more like a physics test than a fun vacation. I wonder what kind of market research came up with this ?

Anthem is fine. I just wish they had picked something compatible, like Symphony.

Whatever, I am sure they will be beautiful.

Can't wait to see the new features Royal is promising.

Also keep in mind that all new ships built at Meyer-Werft have to make a passage down the River Ems to get out to sea, and I believe this limits just how large they can be (width, height, draft, and length). I thought the Solstice Class was the largest that could be accommodated down the river, but perhaps not as I'm guessing that NCL's Breakaway Plus and RCI's Quantum Class will be slightly larger than the Solstice Class in width and length.

CELEBRITY REFLECTION is 1047 feet long with a width of 123 feet (122,000 gt). It will be interesting to see how much larger QUANTUM and Breakaway Plus are.

Ernie

Okay, IMVHO why not put both ships in Jersey! :D We're underserved by the EOS and Summit. The Silhouette was here for a very short bit and then left. So, why not both of these PLUS something new from Celebrity. The area can certainly sustain more ships more profitably than any other area.

If one of these does come to Bayonne I hope Royal also brings back the 2 week (Xmas, New Year) cruise to the Caribbean rather than drap cruises to PC and the Bahamas.

Can you imagine if they bring Anthem of the Seas to Bayonne and make Springsteen the Godfather, then we can say "baby, we were Born to Run". What better an anthem could there be! :cool:

Cheers,

Aaron

Okay, IMVHO why not put both ships in Jersey! :D We're underserved by the EOS and Summit. The Silhouette was here for a very short bit and then left. So, why not both of these PLUS something new from Celebrity. The area can certainly sustain more ships more profitably than any other area.

If one of these does come to Bayonne I hope Royal also brings back the 2 week (Xmas, New Year) cruise to the Caribbean rather than drap cruises to PC and the Bahamas.

Can you imagine if they bring Anthem of the Seas to Bayonne and make Springsteen the Godfather, then we can say "baby, we were Born to Run". What better an anthem could there be! :cool:

Cheers,

Aaron

LOL now now, lets not get greedy. :D I'd happily settle for Quantum in Bayonne!

Cheers,

Aaron

this is a wonderful idea aaron! i've been sailing on the EOS for many years and it's gotten very crowded. i would love to see more than rccl ship as well as a celebrity ship homeport in bayonne. i don't think they'll put two new ships, but maybe one old one and one new one.

i also miss the longer cruises.

i can't wait for further annoucements on the quantum's/anthem's homeport!

I was wrong about CELEBRITY REFLECTION having the largest dimensions so far. It appears the Disney ships are currently the largest by dimension to make the passage down the River Ems. I don't know the dimensions of Breakaway Plus.

Here are the top three:

DISNEY FANTASY

Length: 1115 ft Beam: 137 ft

NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY

Length: 1062 ft Beam: 130 ft

CELEBRITY REFLECTION

Length: 1047 ft Beam: 123 ft

I guess we can count on QUANTUM being at least the size of DISNEY FANTASY, perhaps even slightly longer and wider but not sure about that.

Ernie

I know I am just speculating but I have a feeling one of these new Quantum ships will be homeported from Bayonne. I have a feeling it would be Quantum. If you look at the NYC market, most of the cruise lines with a big presence has or will increase their tonnage. Carnival is replacing the Miracle with the Splendor and NCL is replacing the Gem with the Breakaway. Also, the NCL Breakaway will be new and almost as big as the Quantum class ships. It makes sense from a business standpoint for Royal to have their newest ship out of Bayonnne. I believe RCI once said that the new "Sunshine class or Quantum class" will be an all purpose built ship meaning she will be suited to cooler climes. If you add up all of these parameters it is possible that Royal would bring one of the ships into the NYC area. I for one will enjoy it. I always liked sailing on the Explorer but it would be great to have a brand new ship sailing nearby. Now if they could make the ship cruise faster and visit different ports that would be even better! But of course distance and fuel costs are always the concern.

Looking forward to hearing more news on these new sister ships!

Hate the names. Judging by the cut out if looks as if the ship will have the covered solarium like the vision class.

As far as location I think it's funny no one has mentioned this. Rccl's home base is Miami. Their main office is just outside their pier. Just so happens the only Rccl ship there is majesty. Which also just happens to be retiring may next year. Leaving their home port dead empty. I would bet a lot that's where it will be going.

OK...crossing fingers....2014 for the first NEW ship....2014 for the NEW Panama canel....2015....RCL will cruise out of California Again.....Just say'n and really Hoping!! :):):) Bring us one of the left over ships...we will love her as our own !

Mike

Absolutely agree with you, Mike, this SoCal girl is feeling ignored. Pretty please. :)

Katink

How the Quantum Class ships were named, from the Royal Caribbean blog:

In case you haven’t heard we recently announced that Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas are the names of our new Quantum Class of ships. Quantum of the Seas will join our Fleet in late 2014 and Anthem of the Seas in spring 2015.

While I still am not able to share details about the Quantum Class of ships, formerly known as “Project Sunshine”, I can assure you that we are continuing to raise the bar of innovation and expectations of what our guests can do on a cruise vacation. We felt as though the name Quantum was a great fit since we are going a step above and propelling it forward. We’re taking a quantum leap.

The word anthem is defined as a song of praise and Anthem of the Seas is indicative of many of the best qualities and features of Royal Caribbean International. Quantum represents a step change in cruising and anthem is a song of praise for that step.

Selecting the name of a new ship is an interesting process. It’s even more interesting when we’re developing a new ship class. We worked with a naming consultant who provided several different avenues to explore. We looked at names that were categorized as experiential names, cosmopolitan names, leading edge names and more. But with Quantum, we felt that the tone fit what we were seeking.

Quantum of the Seas is a name that everyone on our Project Sunshine Steering Committee immediately liked. We voted on paper when selecting the names and the results were pretty much unanimous. We all gravitated to the same two names.

We are working to set the stage and landscape for the future of cruise vacations with Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas. But you’ll need to wait a bit longer until we can share the details with you.

We remember when they announced Oasis Class and how we followed the building of it and then the crossing......which was amazing....

We booked that thing 2 years before she arrived and now they're holding cards so close to their chest with not even a hint of deck plans, etc............

Give us something more then a name to get excited about.......come to think of it QUANTAM just doesn't hit the mark - at least without a visual to go with it.......

Don't they want to have it already pre-booked months in advance even before she hits water?

Crusing next week and will check Loyalty Ambassdors to see if any pre-booking scheduled yet.........

Was this a deliberate hint?

In the blog about the two new ships, I was struck by this sentence near the end.

"We are working to set the stage and landscape for the future of cruise vacations with Quantum of the Seas and ANthem of the seas."

Could it be that the ship will be filled with live "landscaping" throughout similar to Oasis Class Central Park and that there will be a special, innovative stage for incredible stage productions?

My biggest fear is that they will try to "squeeze" Oasis class passenger capacity into a Freedom class size ship. I'm sure the ships will be beautiful with amazing new amenities, but at what cost? Imagine the public spaces on "at sea days" on Freedom class ships - now add a few hundred more passengers.... I forget the exact statistics, but I know this is the goal of RC. The more people they can fit, while improving fuel consumption will improve their bottom line.

I'm not sold on the "Quantum Class" yet. We'll have to see........

Doc

The Q - good idea. They can send if to Australia and spell it Qantum of the Seas - likd Qantas, the Aussie airline.
Qantas was from Queensland and Northern Territories Aerial Services, so maybe Qantum of the Seas will be based permanently in OZ as Queensland and Northern Territories Ultimate Maritimer.

Thom

Was this a deliberate hint?

In the blog about the two new ships, I was struck by this sentence near the end.

"We are working to set the stage and landscape for the future of cruise vacations with Quantum of the Seas and ANthem of the seas."

Could it be that the ship will be filled with live "landscaping" throughout similar to Oasis Class Central Park and that there will be a special, innovative stage for incredible stage productions?

Very well could be! Royal Caribbean does like to play around a bit and I wouldn't put a subtle encrypted hint past them.

Ernie

I like Anthem of the Seas....it has a nice ring to it but Quantum:rolleyes: Do NOT like that one but hey in the end who really cares about the names...they begin to grow on you anyway.

Now listen up Royal Caribbean...Homeport one of these Quantum class ships over to Bayonne for the Summer...or else!;)

My biggest fear is that they will try to "squeeze" Oasis class passenger capacity into a Freedom class size ship. I'm sure the ships will be beautiful with amazing new amenities, but at what cost? Imagine the public spaces on "at sea days" on Freedom class ships - now add a few hundred more passengers.... I forget the exact statistics, but I know this is the goal of RC. The more people they can fit, while improving fuel consumption will improve their bottom line.

I'm not sold on the "Quantum Class" yet. We'll have to see........

Doc

Space ratios only tell part of the story, but QUANTUM's space ratio appears to be quite respectable and in range with the Oasis and Freedom Class.

Freedom Class: 42.49

Oasis Class: 41.71

Quantum Class: 40.73

Compare with some other new builds:

CARNIVAL BREEZE: 35.24

ROYAL PRINCESS: 39.17

NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY: 36.39

CELEBRITY REFLECTION: 40.05

Unnamed Carnival Newbuild: 33.75

Ernie

Archived