Picture ID at ports for minors?

I was just on the oasis of the seas a few weeks ago with my mother and sisters. I'm lucky that next week, I'm going on the Allure with my DH and DD (16 - looks older) and DS (13). Whenever we got off at a port, it said to take your seapass and a picture ID. We would leave our passports on the ship and take our driver's licenses. We needed to show these to get back on the ship.

Do kids need a picture ID to get back on the ship. The only picture IDs they have are their passports, and I don't really want to take passports on snorkel excursions.

Thanks, Karen

I don't remember the age for ID on RCCL since I didn't have my kids with me on my RC trips, but we buy non driver ID for our kids for traveling. They are $12 each were I live. I just feel better having it. The first time we got them was when we were taking an infant to Mexico at a time when passports were not required to fly to Cancun. Have done it ever since.

I was just on the oasis of the seas a few weeks ago with my mother and sisters. I'm lucky that next week, I'm going on the Allure with my DH and DD (16 - looks older) and DS (13). Whenever we got off at a port, it said to take your seapass and a picture ID. We would leave our passports on the ship and take our driver's licenses. We needed to show these to get back on the ship.

Do kids need a picture ID to get back on the ship. The only picture IDs they have are their passports, and I don't really want to take passports on snorkel excursions.

Thanks, Karen

It depends on what day of the week, who's working that day, the length of the line of people waiting to get back to the ships and maybe the phases of the moon. (At least it's the way it seems.)

My experience is that some ports check photo id and others only for the sea pass card. However, this is very inconstant.

For instance. I've been to Nassau twice in the past year. One time they required photo id along with the sea pass. My sister-in-law forget her ID on-board and they didn't want to let her enter the port area. We're going to go get her ID for her from the ship when the security guy finally relented and let her go with us. However, when I was there two weeks ago I handed the guy my open passport along with my seapass card. The card was covering my passport photo and he didn't even both to move it and ushered me through the door.

Some ports RCI seems to stress to take photo id and others they don't. (With the exception of their private ports.) My DW and I have to decided that we are ALWAYS going to take our passports when we go ashore in a foreign port. Even if we don't need to them to get back onto the ship we'll have them in case of an emergency plus they are proof of our citizenship where a state driver's license is not. When we get our passport renewed were going to get the cards along with the book. The cards aren't valid for check-in at the ship but would be less of hassle to lose on the beach instead of the book.

My experience is that my kids - currently 16 and 14 - have never been asked to show it. Nevertheless, we always have their school student cards - which have their name and photo - as picture id. We all also carry a photocopy of passports.

Age 16 and up need a picture ID. Will they be asked, yes and no. My son was asked in St Thomas and they weren't going to accept his picture ID since it was a paper learner's permit. They argued with us and I almost had to leave him at the gate to go get him passport. Other ports were not an issue. This was a while ago but I don't see them get lax, I would expect them to be stricter.

I do not remember any of this last cruise but kids were younger then. My DD has a photo id (her license) but my DS,14 does not have a photo id. Thing is, he looks older than she does!:eek: I guess if they ask him, then one of us (parents) would have to go get passport.

Would they accept a photo copy of his passport as a photo id?

We have always used photo copies of our passports and have never had any bother, years ago RCCL always held the passports of non US passengers and when Nassau started asking for photo ID guest services photo copied our passports for us and said that was all that was required. When we renewed our passports a few years later we just photocopied them and laminated them so that whenever we need ID we use them

It may not be necessary but I have always travelled with passports for my kids. I just feel that it's the safer (in case of a problem that might necessitate our needing to fly home from another country) and more convenient (open the passports to the photo page - no unfolding multiple sheets of paper).

Their picture is linked to the Seapass card when the attendent sticks it in the machine at the gangway. But we never go anywhere without photo ID, just for common sense reasons. Our passports stay locked in room safe, but we carry color copies that I laminated with a couple of sheets from the office supply store. Cut a sheet in half and laminate the trimmed photocopy; trimming the laminate about one quarter of an inch bigger than the passport makes a pretty good water tight "pouch". Slip them in a backpack or beach bag and don't worry.

Wait, my nephew is 2...he doesn't have any kind of photo id. Is this a problem?
Only those 16 and older need photo ID at the ports. It's not all the ports, but some (St. Thomas, Nassau, Cozumel, Bermuda, Boston, Bar Harbor, Grand Cayman, San Juan, to name a few) have a local Port Authority checkpoint where you need to show ID in order to enter the secure area around the ship for boarding. Children who are with their parents are not asked for ID.

The easiest photo ID to take with you at ports, for adult or child, is a photocopy of your passport.

Just scan and print off a few copies and fold to fit in pocket.

They cost nothing, and since they are so easy to replace if necessary, we don't even bother laminating them.

A friend tipped us off not to take a driver's license off the ship with you in port unless you need it for driving. His driver's license was lost or stolen at one of the ports, and without a driver's license, he was not allowed to rent a car that he needed later.

Only those 16 and older need photo ID at the ports. It's not all the ports, but some (St. Thomas, Nassau, Cozumel, Bermuda, Boston, Bar Harbor, Grand Cayman, San Juan, to name a few) have a local Port Authority checkpoint where you need to show ID in order to enter the secure area around the ship for boarding. Children who are with their parents are not asked for ID.

Thank you!!

We always bring our passports with us when we leave the ship.....my daughter even has her own.

You might be able to get a county photo ID for you kids. The DMV, at least in NJ, also does non-driver IDs but I'm not sure at what age they start them.

Archived