1st time cruisers: Carnival's "Cheers" program?

bjgs263

We are on the Valor leaving San Juan on 3/24/13. I've read about Carnival's "Cheers" program and am trying to figure out of it's worth it or not! We are not BIG drinkers but enjoy a glass of wine or two at dinner, an occasional beer and maybe a fruity drink poolside! At approx. $50 per day/per person, this program would cost my girlfriend and around $700 total for the entire cruise. The program doesn't include bottled water!!!!

Any suggestions? Is my information correct above?

Anyone had a good or bad experience with the program?

Thanks!

We are on the Valor leaving San Juan on 3/24/13. I've read about Carnival's "Cheers" program and am trying to figure out of it's worth it or not! We are not BIG drinkers but enjoy a glass of wine or two at dinner, an occasional beer and maybe a fruity drink poolside! At approx. $50 per day/per person, this program would cost my girlfriend and around $700 total for the entire cruise. The program doesn't include bottled water!!!!

Thanks!

Go look on the Carnival board. There are tons of discussions about Cheers. Also, there are drink price lists floating out there that you can google and figure individual prices out vs. Cheers.

We aren't cruising until July, but will not get Cheers because we have the kids with us and it's a heavy port intensive cruise. If it was just the two of us, we probably would get it.

Thanks!

As I understand it you would need to drink roughly 7 mixed drinks a day, each, in order to break even. If you can do that (even on port days) then it would be worth your while provided you intend to drink that much anyway. Another option is to buy a bottle of liquor through the bon voyage department to have in your room.

While I understand that we can each bring one bottle on the ship on day # 1, some people have suggested that you can also bring 1 bottle each at each stop along the way.

Is this accurate?

If I pick up a bottle of rum in say, St. Maarten, will they allow me to bring it back on the ship (paying the corkage fee)?

Hey bjgs263 and everyone else considering the Cheers Program. We just got back from our 1st Cruise and it was on the Carnival Valor. We had many debates and couldn't find out much about the Cheers Program specifically. We had a bottle of booze removed from our carry on at the Port. We ended up doing the cheers program. It's $690 US for Cheers for 2 people which includes 15% gratuity. Throughout the week we kept our drink chits to determine how good a deal the Cheers program was. Between the two of us we had 107 drinks ranging from $4.95 beers to $9.95 glasses of wine. When ordering our drinks we always upgraded our alcohol to top of the line like Grey Goose rather than regular bar Vodka, which increases the cost by at $1.50 a drink. This is included in the program provided you don't go over the $10 limit. At the end of the cruise we calculated our bar bill for those 107 drinks would have been $736.00 . You might think whippie a $50 savings.Plus $150 in mix, But I can tell you that depending on where your room is and the convenience of not having to go back to your room to fill your flask, plus the additional $70-$80 per person for the pop card, plus some gratuities if you choose to tip think we would do it again in a minuet. For those considering it... the 7 drink a day rule is a good gauge. If your strictly a beer drinker at $5 a beer I wouldn't do Cheers.

Keep in mind that on our cruise we had 3 days in port , so we left the ship for 4-6 hours at every port. We did have one day where we were slightly under the weather and it effected our drinking ability. We maybe have 1-2 drink a week when we're not cruising, so honestly we aren't alcoholics. FYI, Booze bought at ports of call is kept by them until you disembark. Hope this helps you decide.

While I understand that we can each bring one bottle on the ship on day # 1, some people have suggested that you can also bring 1 bottle each at each stop along the way.

Is this accurate?

If I pick up a bottle of rum in say, St. Maarten, will they allow me to bring it back on the ship (paying the corkage fee)?

You may only bring wine onboard (1 750ml bottle per adult), not hard liquor, and then only at the port of embarkation (although some have reported bringing wine on in the ports). If you bring liquor back you are supposed to check it and it will be returned on the last day (and I have seen people report that they've been able to walk by the check-in table with no problem).

• 1 month later...

Just returned from an 8 night cruise on the Carnival Breeze and we purchased the Cheers Program. Here are the details: We left from Miami and were not permitted to purchase the program until the second day. We signed up for it at the lobby bar in the atrium the second morning. The cost was $691.50 per person for the remaining 7 days. Keep in mind that if you purchase individual beers (Bud Light), it will cost you $6.61 and just under $10.00 for a mixed drink after the 15% gratuity is added on. Also, soft drinks are just under $2.00 which are unlimited if you purchase the program. We definately saved a lot of money by purchasing the program. As for the five minute rule and 15 drink maximum, they DO enforce it! Actually, I had 8 or 9 mixed drinks the second night and the bartender cut me off at the piano bar! I then went to another bar and got a drink but the point is I think those who purchase the plan might stand out more as far as the bartenders paying attention to how much you drink. Also, my husband actually approached his fifteen drink limit two times and the bartenders reminded him how many drinks he had left. Buckets of beer will save you $2 but we enjoyed the fact that we didn't have to carry buckets around the boat. FYI buckets of Bud Light which gives you 4 16 oz beers cost $25.86 after the gratuity is added. I'm getting this information from my sign and sail statement as I write this.

• 4 months later...

The "Cheers" program was designed as a "Revenue" maker for Carnival. Carnival is constantly trying to come up with ideas to maximize revenue while on-board the ship. By forcing everyone in a cabin to purchase the "cheers" program, they in effect, are guaranteeing that they are going to make an additional $100/day extra per cabin.

If you're not "big drinkers" as you claim, it's probably not worth it for you. I would classify my DH & I as big drinkers and we calculated we pretty much broke even. One sea day we both maxed out the 15 drink maximum & got 2 tubes of beer. If either one of you are only going to have a few drinks per day, you're better off to just pay for them individually.

Since this is your first cruise, I'd recommend paying for the drinks individually on your first cruise. My guess is you won't spend more than $700 on drinks for the both of you during the course of the week (based off of your post). If you find that you spend close to the amount of the package, you can always book it on your next cruise.

You are correct that bottled water is not included in the cheers program.

Enjoy the Valor and sailing out of San Juan. This has been one of our favorite Carnival cruises! We love the port intensive itineraries!

If you're not "big drinkers" as you claim, it's probably not worth it for you. I would classify my DH & I as big drinkers and we calculated we pretty much broke even. One sea day we both maxed out the 15 drink maximum & got 2 tubes of beer. If either one of you are only going to have a few drinks per day, you're better off to just pay for them individually.

Since this is your first cruise, I'd recommend paying for the drinks individually on your first cruise. My guess is you won't spend more than $700 on drinks for the both of you during the course of the week (based off of your post). If you find that you spend close to the amount of the package, you can always book it on your next cruise.

You are correct that bottled water is not included in the cheers program.

Enjoy the Valor and sailing out of San Juan. This has been one of our favorite Carnival cruises! We love the port intensive itineraries!

If you noticed, the OP was on a cruise last March! I think your answer is too late for them.

Thanks for the info!! I am still confused! My husband and I can put down quite a few drinks in a days time. When you hit the 15 drink mark, can you purchase anything for full price after? Also, say we want a tube to drink, will this count as part of our 15 drinks or will it be considered off the cheers program since it is higher than the $10 minimum?

If you noticed, the OP was on a cruise last March! I think your answer is too late for them.

I didn't realize. Looks like the person before me bumped the thread.

HeatherMay34 - On the day that we both hit our 15 drink max on the cheers program, we were still able to buy 2 tubes of beer at Red Frog (for full price). The tubes aren't included in the package anyways, but they did not cut us off once we did the max of 15. However, there have been reports on the board that some people were cut off at 15 - I think it's up to the bartender discretion if they will continue to serve you or not (and allow you to pay full price for the additional drinks over 15). My DH & I are reasonable drinkers (at least on vacation) and we only hit the max 1 of the 8 nights (probably because it was a sea day & we started before noon at the pool). Hope this clears things up for you!

Tubes of beer are NOT included in the Cheers program. You pay full price for them - just under $30 each tube.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't realize. Looks like the person before me bumped the thread.

HeatherMay34 - On the day that we both hit our 15 drink max on the cheers program, we were still able to buy 2 tubes of beer at Red Frog (for full price). The tubes aren't included in the package anyways, but they did not cut us off once we did the max of 15. However, there have been reports on the board that some people were cut off at 15 - I think it's up to the bartender discretion if they will continue to serve you or not (and allow you to pay full price for the additional drinks over 15). My DH & I are reasonable drinkers (at least on vacation) and we only hit the max 1 of the 8 nights (probably because it was a sea day & we started before noon at the pool). Hope this clears things up for you!

Tubes of beer are NOT included in the Cheers program. You pay full price for them - just under $30 each tube.

Can you bring water on board?

It really is a way for carnival to make tons more money on each cabin. If one person in cabin gets the cheers than the other person must as well. My girlfriend and I were first time cruisers last year. We are in our mid twenties and drink but don't get out of control. We were happily buzzed throughout the cruise and we only spend $325.00 between the two of us and that included the soda cards we each purchased on the first day. We were on the legend and it was 42 dollars a day plus gratuities for the program. Don't get me wrong if you really hit it hard it might be worth it but in our case it wasn't. Plus we snuck a little bottle of rum back from one of the islands so that helped out. We are cruising on the valor in December 2013 and def. will not get the cheers program since we only have one day at sea.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if there has been any feedback from anyone who sailed on the Valor and bought the Cheers program? We are sailing on the Valor in October and cannot decide if it is worth the money or not. I looked at our last cruise S&S (Eastern Caribbean) and I think we would have actually saved a little but with such a port intensive cruise as the Valor we just aren't sure :confused:. On a different thread someone mentioned if you don't use your total 15 drinks you could take beer unopened back to your room. As we are planning lots of beach days I wonder if we could bring a collapsible cooler and bring some of those beers with us? Has anyone done this before or does this sound silly? :o

Just wondering if there has been any feedback from anyone who sailed on the Valor and bought the Cheers program? We are sailing on the Valor in October and cannot decide if it is worth the money or not. I looked at our last cruise S&S (Eastern Caribbean) and I think we would have actually saved a little but with such a port intensive cruise as the Valor we just aren't sure :confused:. On a different thread someone mentioned if you don't use your total 15 drinks you could take beer unopened back to your room. As we are planning lots of beach days I wonder if we could bring a collapsible cooler and bring some of those beers with us? Has anyone done this before or does this sound silly? :o

It is my understanding that they will not let you have an unopened beer but this is something that may vary by bartender.

When you purchase the drink package....does this include unlimited soft drinks? Do non-alcoholic drinks affect your beverage count? IE....I have 10 beers and 5 soda, do they cut me off? or are non-alcoholic beverages free but not counted against the total?

The sodas aren't counted from what I've read.

Archived