Can I upload pics in the RCCL computers?

Can I upload my pics into the RCCL computers and then send them to my email address? This way I'd be able to clear out my SD card each day. Anyone know if this is possible?

No, not possible. The Royal PC's are locked in cabinets and are not accessible.

The ones I saw for my camera were about 30 - 40 from what I remember and I think it was the 16gb ones that were highest...maybe I'm shopping at the wrong place? How much should they cost?

What kind of card?

SD?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Sandisk-8GB-SD-SDHC-Secure-Digital-Flash-Cam-Memory-Card-GENUINE-SDSDB-008G-/200819731225?pt=Digital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item2ec1c9eb19

The ones I saw for my camera were about 30 - 40 from what I remember and I think it was the 16gb ones that were highest...maybe I'm shopping at the wrong place? How much should they cost?

Check Best Buy. They frequently have memory cards on sale for less than $1 per GB.

For cruises and such I usually carry a number of 2 to 4 MB SD cards that I some times can find in 2 pack at Wally World for under $10. I tend to be a doubting Thomas and am afraid that the file on a big SD card might become corrupted or misplaced.

I carry a small netbook (think it was around $200) and download my pics every night. I take lots so I create a new folder for each day. Then I back them up on a portable hard drive. Can you tell I don't want to lose any of my pics? :D Then it's easy to transfer them to my pc at home after the trip.

YES! Holy Cow I'm getting ripped off over here.....

Yes, yes you are. Here's the link to tigerdirect.com's SDHC cards: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=7066&name=Secure-Digital-High-Capacity-Memory-Cards&.

4Gb (Kingston) $4

8Gb (Sony) $5

32Gb (Kingston) $20.

ETA: I have a 16Gb in my DSLR and I get ~2,000 pictures on it at the highest resolution. I don't usually do anything with the pictures except look at them, but I want the highest resolution so I can do anything I want later.

Yes, yes you are. Here's the link to tigerdirect.com's SDHC cards: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=7066&name=Secure-Digital-High-Capacity-Memory-Cards&.

4Gb (Kingston) $4

8Gb (Sony) $5

32Gb (Kingston) $20.

ETA: I have a 16Gb in my DSLR and I get ~2,000 pictures on it at the highest resolution. I don't usually do anything with the pictures except look at them, but I want the highest resolution so I can do anything I want later.

This is probably a stupid question but does it matter what brand I use as long as it is the same specs?

And thank you so much everyone!!

Don't do what I did. I made the mistake of thinking I had a big enough card on our Med cruise. Halfway through the drive along the Amalfi Coast, I ran out of room:eek:! I was so upset. I had to depend on the others in my group to get pictures. Once we reached Positano, our driver found me a store to buy a new card. I paid $60!!! Needless to say, I now always have extra cards with me. You can pick them up pretty inexpensively at Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

Brand name does matter. Memory cards can and do fail. Since pictures are one of the most valuable things that I bring home from a vacation, I tend to spend a little more on my cards. I get a lot of my tech stuff from Newegg.com. If you filter out the obviously biased customer feedbacks, you can get a good feel for a particular brand/card. B&H Photo/Video is another good site for feedback on particular cards.

You could also look into getting a portable photo backup drive which are designed to do what you want to do. These are essentially portable hard drives with built in card readers. Put your memory card into the device at the end of the day and copy everything to the hard drive. You can then reformat the card and use it again the next day. Problem is, these things start at about $120 and go up in price depending on storage space. I don't use one but I've seen photographers say that they use them purely for backup, i.e. they leave the original pictures on the memory card AND put a backup copy on the drive. That way they're covered should the memory card fail. You might be better off just buying several memory cards.

Even if possible, it would be very expensive. Memory cards are so cheap, it's much more cost effective to just buy a larger card.

Can I upload my pics into the RCCL computers and then send them to my email address? This way I'd be able to clear out my SD card each day. Anyone know if this is possible?

Only if you bring along a cat who knows how to saw his way into the locked computer tower enclosures:rolleyes:

Archived