Sad news from the former Norwegian Majesty

WaldosPepper

Very sad news today regarding my most favorite-ever ship, the former Norwegian Majesty. Five crew members deceased, and several more injured when a lifeboat fell during a drill.

The article can be read here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5188

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire crew, all the passengers aboard, and the families of those injured or killed.

So very sad.

Very, very sad indeed. Waldos, I too share your love for the former NCL ship the Majesty. That ship had lots of charm and made me a fan of NCL. I was sad to hear a while back that a rogue wave hit the ship and a couple of passengers had died. Now this newest accident! My thoughts and prayers are with all involved.

Such terrible news , unfortunatly that ship is old and past it so maybe other things on it are too. I sailed on it last June and we waited ages for the tender and when we were tendered to port the lifeboat we were in had black smoke coming out of it we all thought it was on fire very scary . I do hope this is properly investigated

Such terrible news , unfortunatly that ship is old and past it so maybe other things on it are too. I sailed on it last June and we waited ages for the tender and when we were tendered to port the lifeboat we were in had black smoke coming out of it we all thought it was on fire very scary . I do hope this is properly investigated

It probably has nothing to do with the age of the ship. The ship is about 20 years old not that ancient by most standards. Its maintenance that matters. Also even on new ships there is at least one accident a year on the life boats...many of them fatal and most unfortunately turn out to be some form of human error.

Condolences to the family of the crew.

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but the ship's owner is said to be Louis Cruises (leased to Thompson?)....that name sounds familiar...haven't they suffered some other recent casualties?

...the Sea Diamond sinking in 2007?...rogue waves hitting Louis Majesty (now Thomson Majesty) in 2010?...yes, the line has had bad luck (each of those incidents resulted in 2 deaths).

Still, it looks like this was a "freak" accident, like others have said. The ship is actually the NEWEST ship in their fleet, so that's not a good argument at all.

I LOVE the Majesty and thoughts go out to everyone impacted!!

Very sad news today regarding my most favorite-ever ship, the former Norwegian Majesty. Five crew members deceased, and several more injured when a lifeboat fell during a drill.

The article can be read here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5188

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire crew, all the passengers aboard, and the families of those injured or killed.

So very sad.

That is heartbreaking. I'd just heard on the news that a lifeboat had fallen on a cruise ship during muster drill but the news didn't say which ship and wasn't correct about injuries. Didn't mention crew deaths at all.

What a horrific scene.

Heard the news on the TV this morning, no mention of ship name or line. I believe this is the old Royal Cruise line, Royal Odessey... wonderful ship, we took our first Mediterranean cruise on it, a favorite ship for us too. Too sad this news.

Heard the news on the TV this morning, no mention of ship name or line. I believe this is the old Royal Cruise line, Royal Odessey... wonderful ship, we took our first Mediterranean cruise on it, a favorite ship for us too. Too sad this news.

This ship was the Royal Majesty, not the Royal Odyssey. According to Wikipedia there were two different ships that sailed for Royal Cruise Lines under the name Royal Odyssey, one from 1981-88 and the other from 1991-97.

Archived