Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

If you have to ask , maybe you don't have real good grasp on how the Mexican Govt operates .I imagine they don't do anything until they extort plenty of dollars out of somebody first . People sick and dying is no big deal in Mexico .:mad::mad::mad:

very true, Knuckle, look at how well they;re handling the drug cartels that run their country, beheading and murdering entire police forces and innocent people. Mexico is a nasty Third World country and I;m surprised so many people still care to visit such a place.

Somebody told NBC that people are "acting like savages, fighting over food/tents"

How ridiculous! I think in those cases, most everyone would try to make the best of it as theres no where to go. I'm not there but I seriously doubt anyone would "act like a savage" on any ship of any line. God love our media!

I could be wrong, but I'd expect CCL will give priority to those with passports--possibly sending them home via commercial flights where seats are available. Just like an airline does in an irr ops situation, re-book the easy ones first and then move on to the rest.

Possible ... they might also decide to deal with everyone en masse ... but I have no definite info. Does anyone have examples from prior incidents? I thought of the Splendor, but can't really use that as an example, since it was towed to San Diego.

Why hasn't the Mexican government offered more help? What about the Mexican Navy getting their behinds out there and helping out in some way?

Seems like the least they can do since Carnival ships provide such a large amount of income to the people and businesses in their ports.

I mean ... a TUG BOAT? For a huge ship like Triumph? Can't they do better than that ????

Don't think of the Mexican navy like the US navy. They are not a deep water fleet, but consist of coastal patrol craft. The US navy is best positioned to assist if needed, but it is clear that CCL is able to do all that the navy would do by providing supplies.

Ocean going tugs are the only way to get the ship to a port. They are designed for this type of job and will get it accomplished relatively quickly, though that is going to be 36 - 48 hours after the tow begins because they are limited to about 4 - 5 knots.

It comes from years of raising kids. We try not to let them say "Sh$tHOUSE"

LOL!! I bet their teachers appreciate that!

I wasn't being critical, BTW. I really just think it is funny that so many people are using the term potty (here, FB, etc) in reference to this situation.

There are about 4 - 5 posters who have family/friends on the Triumph and are getting sporatic updates from them. (please keep them comeing)

News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

The tug boat is/was running late. The ship may or may not be in route to the Port in Progresso.

The passport problem will probably not be an issue as there can be exceptions in certain situations.

The pax are eating veggies and there is some coffee.

They are also allowed in to their rooms now, (as seen by the recent picture), but it's hot w/o the AC running.

I'll add in, they have a Coast Guard cutter flanking them for support/assistance.

There were 2 known medical emergencies requiring evacuation.

Some pax are sleeping on deck under improvised tents.

Somebody told NBC that people are "acting like savages, fighting over food/tents"

How ridiculous! I think in those cases, most everyone would try to make the best of it as theres no where to go. I'm not there but I seriously doubt anyone would "act like a savage" on any ship of any line. God love our media!

That was posted upthread. I searched for the source but could only find blog sources and the Daily Mail. I'd file it under "unconfirmed".

I called my cousins after I found out about Triumph from CC this afternoon. Turned out they had only just found out they were not going. They were upset at first because they were so looking forward to the cruise. But now they all sound upbeat again, talking about doing a road trip around TX to Big Bend National park. They were also planning on visiting family in Houston after the cruise and that part is still on. I am sure they will have fun, but just not the way they planned.

And after reading this thread, both they and I are thankful they are not on Triumph right now...

I agree. A blessing in disguise. Well flying there from the NE isn't a quick and inexpensive trip that most can do whenever they feel like, so I'm glad they didn't hop on a plane and come right back. Even if they don't get to the park, Galveston itself looks like a pretty awesome place to stay and explore!

My father was on dialysis and needed treatment every three days for 3 hours. I was surprised that patients were allowed to even travel, but I saw on the Carnival web site that dialysis machines were permitted on board. Dad's machine was bigger than a washing machine so obviously things have come a long way over the years.

Yeah, she did not bring anything. Had made the after cruise arrangements in Port Canaveral well before the cruise and I was very nervous about her going on it with us because even though it was a short 5 day, it was pushing her limits. she should have had a treatment before debark and I was afraid for her the whole time. I'm sure that family onboard Triumph was very nervous until they got word that they would be medi-vac'd off. If i were you, i'd been worried about my dad too (bigger than a washing machine... that's not getting packed) unfortunately.

I think you are over simplifying it. Some people won't be US citizens. Others will have passports. Even if they don't force everyone to get a passport through the Embassy before they leave Mexico, there will be extensive delays as they positively verify everyone without a passport via any number of extra screening procedures. Anyone without a passport should expect to spend hours at CBP on their way back into the US.

I could be wrong, but I'd expect CCL will give priority to those with passports--possibly sending them home via commercial flights where seats are available. Just like an airline does in an irr ops situation, re-book the easy ones first and then move on to the rest.

This is probably very inaccurate. What they will do is fly US custom agents to Mexico and clear them into the US as they leave the ship, and put them on the busses that take them directly to the airport and the planes that CCL has chartered.

Nothing unusual about CBP doing this, it happens whenever you end a cruise in Vancouver and is no big deal.

People are getting concerned about the passport issue for no reason at all.

It's all about people control! Only crew and passengers get on the ship. Only crew and passengers get on the plane.

They will have passengers on the plane, however not likely crew. Maybe cruise staff, the rest will be needed to clean the ship then if they want to some may fly home to their homes likely on their dime or wait with the ship for work when it sails.

I think that people are correct in being disappointed, these are not free vacations and cost more than just the cruise itself. I understand things happen but Cruise lines when it comes to over 4,000 lives, crew and guests, the Cruise lines have to be proactive instead of reactive. It was reported by guests their were problems before the fire. They earn millions of dollars and need to protect their assets not just ignore them away. Now instead of just one or two weeks and the cost of fixing the boat you have all the bad PR, cost of getting people to safety, and cancelled future cruises. Its really bad math on their part.

Possible ... they might also decide to deal with everyone en masse ... but I have no definite info. Does anyone have examples from prior incidents? I thought of the Splendor, but can't really use that as an example, since it was towed to San Diego.

Yes, Star Princess. I don't recall any special treatment. It basicly was deturmined by where home was and was a plane going in that direction. That was in 2005 and things may have changed. The biggest problem was that all ID was lost in the luggage. Customs put us on the "watch list" so they stopped just short of a full body inspection.

Media - Just gotta HATE them. They were saying the same thing with the Splendor fire and when the ship docked they couldn't find anyone to say anything bad about the way things were handled.

I agree. A blessing in disguise. Well flying there from the NE isn't a quick and inexpensive trip that most can do whenever they feel like, so I'm glad they didn't hop on a plane and come right back. Even if they don't get to the park, Galveston itself looks like a pretty awesome place to stay and explore!

Yeah, she did not bring anything. Had made the after cruise arrangements in Port Canaveral well before the cruise and I was very nervous about her going on it with us because even though it was a short 5 day, it was pushing her limits. she should have had a treatment before debark and I was afraid for her the whole time. I'm sure that family onboard Triumph was very nervous until they got word that they would be medi-vac'd off. If i were you, i'd been worried about my dad too (bigger than a washing machine... that's not getting packed) unfortunately.

Fortunately things have improved over the years. Dad only last 2 years on dialysis.

My father was on dialysis and needed treatment every three days for 3 hours. I was surprised that patients were allowed to even travel, but I saw on the Carnival web site that dialysis machines were permitted on board. Dad's machine was bigger than a washing machine so obviously things have come a long way over the years.

Two different types of dialysis. One can be done with a fairly compact machine on board, one can't.

Archived