Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

You know, everyone keeps taking about how bad it is for the passengers, that are peeing in the showers and pooping in buckets,

What about the crew, that lost their tips, and are peeing in showers, pooping in buckets, living in the basement, AND have to clean up the Pee in the showers, poop in the buckets and everything else.

Plus they are probably not getting paid for the next 2 weeks at least, because those cruises are also cancelled.

So, for the passengers, families, stop bellyaching, and get over it, at least you don't have to clean up the mess they are causing for free.

This is probably not the time to berate pax or their families for what they are going through.

The crew are also suffering. But I don't think that's the pax fault or that the pax need to feel guilty over it.

3000 people catching norvo also is a risk, and with raw poop and pee all over (from posts here on CC) I would take the risk of stepping off the ship and on the other ship.

Risk falling in the water for a few minutes, or get a very bad sickness and risk dieing, I would risk the water

Why would it take more than a few hours? They get all (most) of the passengers off the ship in a few hours every day in Grand Cayman and Cabo by tenders, and then they put them back on again also. The return trip from Cozamel can be done in one long day, and they are part way back where they are floating,

As for the ship "moving" it floated 90 miles in 30 hours, that is about 3 miles per hour, and yes it is bobbing up and down and around, but hey, they transfered 3 tons of food and supplies from one ship to another, how did they do that, Toss each box/bag and bottle from the lido deck of one to the other? I would bet they tied one ship to the other, and slid the gangway across and before they started moving things they told the crew "be carefull the ships are still moving" and they did it and did not drown

According to reports and pictures, they used lifeboats to re-supply the Triumph.

Ok they, how do you think they transfered the supplies?

I agree they probably did not have to say to be safe the ships are still moving, because common sense would tell you that.

The crew would launch one of the high speed rescue boats or a lifeboat from the Elation or Legend and come alongside the Triumph. The provisions would then be transferred to the Triumph.

Aquahound can tell us exactly how it would happen.

I have been thinking about the passengers who take medications. While traveling I always take a day or 2 extra but not everyone does. Would there be a pharmacy on board to dispense passengers medication as needed? I hope so!

They will have some basic medications, but not a fully stocked pharmacy. You aren't going to be able to get your birth control pills, Topomax, Lipitor, etc. They'd have a limited amount of insulin, inhalers, Epi-Pens, morphine or similar for trauma or acute kidney stones, antiemetics and anti-diarrheals, a few types of antibiotics, something to treat pinkeye, cough medications, etc.

Presuming the tip earners are not performing service duties and are now performing crew duties, one might think they are currently working for a wage now.

But what about the salaries of those passengers that were supposed to be back at work? Shouldn't we be concerned about their lost wages as well?

Well, I'm not sure "we" should be concerned, but CCL should absolutely be reimbursing people for lost wages/vacation time.

There should be a concern for people who might lose because they weren't at work.

We don't like to give the government money that isn't required. It's simple really. I have been on several cruises and my wife on many many more than me. We don't have passports and we don't buy trip insurance (unless going in winter from here in the Northeast). We have never needed either.

We now have passport cards, only because we took a road trip to Canada this summer. And getting them was a nightmare because of our idiotic government. It's just so expensive to get them so when you don't really need them then the motivation simply isn't there.

I keep asking myself why there are so many Passport and Insurance police on CC. I swear you guys are getting commission or something. :D

While I have backed down from my Passport policing of 5 years ago and don't really care what others do I will say I have had the experience of being in a foreign country without a passport and don't desire to ever repeat it. That is honestly the reason I will always have one when I cruise

Yes that crew is simply AMAZING!!!! They were all so wonderful when I was on the ship on a b2b this past xmas and new years. They truly think of each other as family and treat each other that way.. This is what keeps me going. I hope this comforts you until you can hear your sweet boys voice.

This is also to Athomemom99, and all the other family of crew members...

Every crew member we've met have been wonderful people! One of my favorite things of cruising is meeting all the different crew I can, and asking them about their homes, families, work life, etc. Seeing the friendships and close bonds they form with each other when things are going well, I can only guess how supportive and comforting they are to each other during an event like this. Keep thinking positively and know that each of your loved ones on board right now are true heroes.

Tell me you don't really think 2 cruise ships rafted off to one another. Really?

Tell me how the transfered the supplies then? Did they have the crew use a life boat to move the supplies (oh yea people on CC say that is not safe)

Did the toss it from one ship to the other?

Did they jump in the water and swim it to them?

How else did they move the supplies?

Yes, in 2003 I was on the Paradise and the medical tender pulled up next to the Paradise at midnight while moving, and they opened the deck 0 door, slid the gang way across and rolled the person on the gearny across, then the crew went back and got luggage, and the other 3 people from his party and they all walked over to the tender, that was tied to our ship holding them together while we were moving slowly. When it was done, they pulled the gangway back, untied and it turned away from us, and sailed away. We never stopped moving, I was on the open deck about with my wife, and we watched this happen. With our own eyes. So yes they can transfer people and luggage from a moving ship to another moving ship at night in the open sea, by walking cross the gangway. It is not a guess, thought, or idea, it is a FACT it can and does happen.

Does an airline reimburse you for missed work when you miss a flight? I think not.

People don't lose a week or work because a plane has a mechanical problem. It would be a highly unusual situation for anyone to be delayed by more than half a day or so.

For those of us with family onboard, this post has been a decent source of information. CCL has been less than useless!!! One automated phone call a day with old information that has been covered on the news! Calling and talking to them is an exercise in frustration. Most of those you speak with either dont know whats recently happening, or are unwilling to give any relevant news!!!

I really fail to understand all the senseless endless debates about passports etc.... I realize that all here have and, are entitled to their opinions, but I wish they would take these debates to another post at least.

Does anyone know the current location of the ship? Other than from the old news positions?

It was just reported on Fox that it's 270 miles from the coast of Alabama, and two tugs are pulling it. It should arrive by Thursday night if the weather remains in their favor.

There is a possibility that the CG would not allow a "dead stick" ship to be towed into a port after dark.

The estimated time of arrival at Galveston and Mobile may have made Mobile a better option for a daytime arrival.

We dealt with this issue with the ex USS Oriskany being towed from Galveston to Pensacola, daylight only operations.

Just MY opinion, but may have come into someones though process.

I'm sure the ship being repaired in Mobile weighed heavily also. I believe the ship yard that would do the repairs is right across the channel in Mobile from the now old Cruise ship terminal.

BTW, Pensacola International (gotta love our mayor!!) is only an hour away by bus. New Orleans is only 2 hours.

I hope but fear the worse that disembarking 3000 people with limited elevators and luggage is gonna be a huge cluster and take some time. Hopefully they learned something from the Splendor.

Ok they, how do you think they transfered the supplies?

The crew would launch one of the high speed rescue boats or a lifeboat from the Elation or Legend and come alongside the Triumph. The provisions would then be transferred to the Triumph.

Aquahound can tell us exactly how it would happen.

You are exactly right (reallyitsmema). That is precisely how they did it. They used the small boats from Elation and Legend to transfer the goods.

waldocruiser1 - Come on, use a little common sense here. Take a good look at a cruise ship. Notice how the sides are not flat....life boats that stick out, bridge wings, balconies, etc. If 2 modern cruise ships attempted to raft off to one another, it would be a disaster. The ships would be destroyed.

I've always been a proponent of disseminating as much information as possible to passengers when the unexpected is happening. But when I hear people suggesting cover ups and lying due to the fluidity of a situation I begin to understand the downside.

I agree, and I think the best way for companies to deal with the 24-hour news cycle is to get ahead of it. CCL should set up a twitter feed for this incident and post regular updates. Estimates can be tricky since they are subject to change, but they can certainly post what has happened.

e.g.

Carnival Legend has arrived, food transfer in progress

Tug 1 has arrived

Tow hookup completed

ship now underway for Mobile

speed Y knots

etc.

Not wanting to be overly pessimistic, but at what point (with dodgy sanitation, little clean water, little chance of washing, and people living close together in areas not being cleaned) does a cholera epidemic begin?

The ship must be like the black hole of Calcutta. Imagine the stench..........

I hope the CDC has someone on board monitoring this.

A correspondent on CBS News this morning categorized the ship and situation as "a floating biohazard heading toward Mobile)

At what amounts to about $10/yr for a passport (yes, and a $8 photo, processing fee, a stamp or gas to drive to a passport facility, etc..) I can't help but think if people can't swing that perhaps they should reevaluate getting themselves into a situation where they might be faced with expenses that would be even more costly: injury away from home, flying home due to any unforeseen need, etc...

First time USA passports for a family of four (two adults, 2 children) now cost a total of $480 + the photos, etc.

That is not insignificant when compared to the cost of a three or four day cruise, especially if a future trip that would require passports is not anticipated.

The need for a passport or passport card for a US citizen when crossing into the USA from Canada or Mexico and the need for a passport when flying to the USA from a country that does not require US citizens to have a passport is a USA government requirement, mainly started after 9/11.

I agree that it is best these days to have a passport, but there are valid financial reasons not to require one on a "closed circuit: cruise.

Yes, a situation could arise where you need to unexpectly need to disembark in Mexico or have to fly back internationally.

But you could have other unusual situations where you do not have proper documentation. As one example, if you are flying and need to make an unusual landing (weather, mechanical trouble, etc) in Russia, but do not have a Russian visa which is required if you fly into that country. Obviously, travelers do not get visas for every country they may fly over, but do not plan to stop in.

CG Ship's commander is live on CNN now

Yup.

USCG has not boarded vessel

USCG has no intention to board ship unless help is requested by the master of the vessel

USCG has not assessed any level of passenger comfort

Two tugs on scene, moving 5-8 mph (not knots)

Current pushed ship 70 miles north

ETA in Mobile is late Wednesday/early Thursday

Tell me how the transfered the supplies then? Did they have the crew use a life boat to move the supplies (oh yea people on CC say that is not safe)

Did the toss it from one ship to the other?

Did they jump in the water and swim it to them?

How else did they move the supplies?

Yes, in 2003 I was on the Paradise and the medical tender pulled up next to the Paradise at midnight while moving, and they opened the deck 0 door, slid the gang way across and rolled the person on the gearny across, then the crew went back and got luggage, and the other 3 people from his party and they all walked over to the tender, that was tied to our ship holding them together while we were moving slowly. When it was done, they pulled the gangway back, untied and it turned away from us, and sailed away. We never stopped moving, I was on the open deck about with my wife, and we watched this happen. With our own eyes. So yes they can transfer people and luggage from a moving ship to another moving ship at night in the open sea, by walking cross the gangway. It is not a guess, thought, or idea, it is a FACT it can and does happen.

A moving ship under the control of its master is a completely different animal than a ship floating, uncontrolled in the middle of the gulf. The captain in the instance had the ability to stabilize the ship and set the speed. That is not the case with the Triumph.

The provisions were transferred by TRAINED crew to TRAINED crew. Very different then transferring 3,000 paniced passengers.

They will have some basic medications, but not a fully stocked pharmacy. You aren't going to be able to get your birth control pills, Topomax, Lipitor, etc. They'd have a limited amount of insulin, inhalers, Epi-Pens, morphine or similar for trauma or acute kidney stones, antiemetics and anti-diarrheals, a few types of antibiotics, something to treat pinkeye, cough medications, etc.

Ok, I had to chuckle at the mention of birth control pills. I guess people might be bored enough to decide to get it on.

Archived