Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

No it's not. The ship is beautiful, it just needs a repair. Maybe it will even get upgraded. Accidents happen, some more fatal than others. The ship will resume service on April 16th, 2013. The Splendor caught on fire when it was 2. The Triumph is 14, but is up to par with the Conquest class, the newest ship of that kind being 6 years old. The SPlendor is a tad better. It's an amazing ship.

I agree, I expect the Triumph to return in triumphant fashion in 2 months(sorry couldn't resist).

The upgrade they will need to do to it will be much more elaborate than what was originally planned I am sure.

About busing passengers away from Mobile...

when the Splendor came in to San Diego after their episode, passengers were given the option on whether to be bussed back up to Long Beach/Los Angeles area (where the cruise originated from) or remain in a hotel in San Diego while flights were arranged to get them home.

Since many passengers had their car at the pier in Long Beach/Los Angeles, they chose the bus ride....a 2 hour trip.

This may be the case with some passengers on the Triumph.

I agree. When I first read that post (that contained the latest (4th) update), i did a double take and read it again.

First thought: Why the heck are they making these people go on a 2.5 hour bus ride minimum after they get off that ship??? These people need food, a shower, a bed, much needed rest... To load everyone's stuff into the bus is gonna take at least an hour itself, so get them to the hotel asap!

and then get them going to the airport in the morning when they're a little bit rested. If you have to have the buses do 2 runs (from port to mobile hotels, then mobile hotel to airport the next day, so what? Pay for it! That's the least you could do. :rolleyes:

Area Hotels (Mobile) include Marriott, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc....these are not 30 room "motels."

Edit: AHHHHHH, Maybe they're taking them out of there to get them away from the media....

There are about 33K hotel rooms in New Orleans. Mobile may have about 6.5K and that may be generous. You are looking at between one to two thousand rooms needed. Assuming Mobile is running at about 70% of capacity, that is every remaining hotel room in Mobile including a whole lot of really bad hotel rooms scattered all over the area. In New Orleans, they can probably house everyone in a series of nice hotels all within a reasonable distance of the airport. I remember my company just trying to get 300 rooms in Mobile one time with short notice. They could only find 150 it took four different hotels to do it scattered all over the place. It's not like Houston or Tampa or even Port Canaveral when it comes to room availability.

Honestly, this was my first thought too. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but the decks are awfully clear if it's that bad below decks.

Maybe people have set up in shaded areas instead of the top deck. Personally, I would have chosen an area in the shade since I would not be able to be out in the sun.

About busing passengers away from Mobile...

when the Splendor came in to San Diego after their episode, passengers were given the option on whether to be bussed back up to Long Beach/Los Angeles area (where the cruise originated from) or remain in a hotel in San Diego while flights were arranged to get them home.

Since many passengers had their car at the pier in Long Beach/Los Angeles, they chose the bus ride....a 2 hour trip.

This may be the case with the passengers on the Triumph.

Except that it's a 7.5-8 hour ride back to get their cars from Mobile, not two hours.

"I remember my company just trying to get 300 rooms in Mobile one time with short notice. They could only find 150 it took four different hotels to do it scattered all over the place. It's not like Houston or Tampa or even Port Canaveral when it comes to room availability" ............................:D How would I ever know this ? Not that it would likely be useful to me . But good to know . Thanks .

Maybe all the hotel rooms in Mobile are booked by family members who want this nightmare to end sooner than later. I know I would be in Mobile if I had loved ones on this ship.

I was thinking about those family members -- the 2 mothers of the girls onboard without them who were interviewed at the port. I wonder what will happen with the people who have family waiting there -- I'm guessing if they want to leave straight from Mobile they can, on their own dime:confused:

There are about 33K hotel rooms in New Orleans. Mobile may have about 6.5K and that may be generous. You are looking at between one to two thousand rooms needed. Assuming Mobile is running at about 70% of capacity, that is every remaining hotel room in Mobile including a whole lot of really bad hotel rooms scattered all over the area. In New Orleans, they can probably housing everyone in a series of nice hotels all within a reasonable distance of the airport. I remember my company just trying to get 300 rooms in Mobile one time with short notice. They could only find 150 it took four different hotels to do it scattered all over the place. It's not like Houston or Tampa or even Port Canaveral when it comes to room availability.

That was first thought, not the other, so then I looked up area hotels in Mobile -- there are quite a few major chains. Of course no one knows the availability, and logistically, it's easier to put everyone in the same place, but it just seems like more of a burden on these people who so deperately need a break.:(

Mobile hotel rooms filling up with Carnival officials, cruise crewmembers and families of people onboard per Mobile news source:

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/02/hoteliers_preparing_for_influx.html#incart_river_default

"A press release issued Wednesday afternoon by the Miami-based cruise line indicated hotel rooms for disembarking passengers have already been booked in New Orleans, however, Mobile’s hospitality industry is scurrying to accommodate concerned families driving in to meet their loved ones as well as an entourage of about 100 Carnival representatives expected to arrive Wednesday night.

David Randel, president and chief executive officer of the Mobile Bay Convention and Visitors Bureau, said local hoteliers have also indicated between 300 and 400 rooms have been booked for at least three nights to house disembarking Triumph crewmembers."

"Randel said he could confirm that as many as 400 Mobile hotel rooms have been booked for crew members and not passengers for at least three nights, and the Carnival team of about 100 should begin arriving within the next few hours."

I also feel sorry for the Pax once they get back to Galveston. This is the NBA all star weekend in Houston so traffic will probably be heavier.

Besides If waiting for a flight home hotels might be a little full as well

\

That was first thought, not the other, so then I looked up area hotels in Mobile -- there are quite a few major chains. Of course no one knows the availability, and logistically, it's easier to put everyone in the same place, but it just seems like more of a burden on these people who so deperately need a break.:(

Yeah, I agree that an extra three hours or so (once adding load/unload time) stinks. Hopefully it will be the last trial.

PS According to CNN, every passenger will now get an additional $500 per pax on top of the refund.

Mobile hotel rooms filling up with Carnival officials, cruise crewmembers and families of people onboard per Mobile news source:

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/02/hoteliers_preparing_for_influx.html#incart_river_default

"A press release issued Wednesday afternoon by the Miami-based cruise line indicated hotel rooms for disembarking passengers have already been booked in New Orleans, however, Mobile’s hospitality industry is scurrying to accommodate concerned families driving in to meet their loved ones as well as an entourage of about 100 Carnival representatives expected to arrive Wednesday night.

David Randel, president and chief executive officer of the Mobile Bay Convention and Visitors Bureau, said local hoteliers have also indicated between 300 and 400 rooms have been booked for at least three nights to house disembarking Triumph crewmembers."

"Randel said he could confirm that as many as 400 Mobile hotel rooms have been booked for crew members and not passengers for at least three nights, and the Carnival team of about 100 should begin arriving within the next few hours."

Ah, yes... all of the additional ground personnel coming in. That's right. That was only mentioned once, and never really talked about on here so I completely forgot about that. Makes sense. Thanks.

Yeah, I agree that an extra three hours or so (once adding load/unload time). Hopefully it will be the last trial.

PS According to CNN, every passenger will now get an additional $500 per pax on top of the refund.

Why? To cover food, sundries at the hotels?

Archived