Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

You're telling me that teachers and nurses make under $15 an hour? I highly doubt that. I'm guessing that there are very few people on that ship who makes less than that. I live in a low wage area and even here anyone who can afford a cruise makes over $15 an hour.

I read where there are 500 McDonald employees on board the Triumph. Dunno if they are hamburger flippers, or what their positions are, but doubtful they can afford to lose any wages. Teachers and nurses here make more than $15/hr.

Sheesh! Watching the report on Fox News now. Drama drama drama.

The two Moms were on there repeating the details of conversations with their kids.

Seems like most of what's being reported is based on two day old first hand info from the ship, and the press releases from Carnival.

Aye. With no new reports from pax on the ship in a while, the media can only recycle what they heard Monday. Terrible PR for CCL.

Remember they are not required to pay anything and more than likely there would be very little compensation in a law suit unless someone can show a real loss.

Probably a class action suit would net each passenger a total of $600 cash and a coupon for $500 off a future cruise. The lawyers would get $5,000,000 cash.

missed the point.....

No you missed the point that our members are going to report to cc, people on board who have no idea this site exists is going to report to the press which would be one explanation of why what the press is reporting differs from reports from members.

The $500 won't even cover lost wages.

Do you really want to call what they've been on a "cruise?"

Why wouldn't they cover transportation? People would have had their own arrangements if Carnival didn't have a defective ship.

Always looking on the bright side. Santa Clause would have no chance

or before it becomes one of those cruise lines that your travel insurance will not cover...like Windjammer Barefoot Cruises...Aloha Airlines....

well, my travel guard has those on the list. I think both are bankrupt now but they were put on the list before that and when they were having problems.

There are other travel entities as well that travel insurance wont cover if you are booked on them. They are usually on the list because of impending bankruptcy and the like, but a poor safety record can't help...

sort of like being in the "assigned risk" pool for car insurance.

Interesting as Aloha was covered under FAA regs (AA subsidiary) and Carnival under "Port State Control:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_State_Control

I have been reading posts about the ship getting close to areas where there may be cell phone reception. Since there are no new updates here, I am assuming that has not happened yet. Do you think Carnival would keep them out of cell phone range on purpose? I am sure they are not looking forward to the reports that will come out.

I read where there are 500 McDonald employees on board the Triumph. Dunno if they are hamburger flippers, or what their positions are, but doubtful they can afford to lose any wages. Teachers and nurses here make more than $15/hr.

How would somebody know there are 500 McDonald's employees on this cruise??

I'm beginning to think that 95% of the information on this thread is a bunch of CRAP!

I have been reading posts about the ship getting close to areas where there may be cell phone reception. Since there are no new updates here, I am assuming that has not happened yet. Do you think Carnival would keep them out of cell phone range on purpose? I am sure they are not looking forward to the reports that will come out.

The thought had crossed my mind, although the reality is that no, I don't think this is being done on purpose.

Holiday Inn Mobile complaining that CCL didn't call them to book rooms. Only one hotel cited, though.

My guess is that because they no longer use Mobile as a port, they have no contracted rates with hotels there. and it was a purely financial decision to book the hotels in NOLA where they have contracted rates. In other words it costs them less even though it further inconveniences passengers.

How could they keep them out of cell phone range?? No power for 3-4 days so it would seem logical that most phone batteries are dead.

Aye. With no new reports from pax on the ship in a while, the media can only recycle what they heard Monday. Terrible PR for CCL.

Last night I watched a very competent media relations person for (I believe) the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department give a press conference regarding the running to ground of Christopher Doner.

Later, while monitoring this thread I wondered why Carnival, a corporation that could pay the Sheriff's entire annual budget out of petty cash, didn't have a professional providing the media with facts and answering questions.

Probably a class action suit would net each passenger a total of $600 cash and a coupon for $500 off a future cruise. The lawyers would get $5,000,000 cash.

We all need to remember that there is a difference between contract law - the T&C's that we all agree to when we book our cruise and Tort Law that applies when there is negligence on the part of the carrier (in this case Carnival) that in many cases supersedes contract law.

Let's see how it all works out.

How kind and generous of you to expect people to get off the ship at who knows what time on Thursday, ride a bus for 8 hours, and be back at work on Friday in spite of their ordeal as well as possibly being sick or stressed or whatever. And you are also expecting them to live within a short distance of Galveston.

Before you label me as kind and generous, I would ask you to please READ the post I responded to. The question was the amount of days lost and that people were planning on attending work on Monday and would not lose a day of work. If they were planning on attending work that day, it is possible that they could attend work Friday... But oh well, lots of us just post without reading :)... I wasn't saying they should do that, just an option.

Archived