Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Same here. My wife and I spent 4 extra days on the Norwegian Gem due to hurricane Sandy and missed 2 days of work. Luckily for us we have good jobs with great bosses who understood that we were stranded and didn't dock us any wages. They didn't even ask us to use extra vacation time to make up the lost days.

Ummm .. you live in Canada.. Not in the good ole USA:rolleyes:

Apparently, in an effort to cheer up the disembarking passngers, the band Spinal Tap is being flown in to Mobile and will be set up to perform at the pier on ship arrival.

I just hope they don't play this song:

I find this disturbing...CCL can get a musical group on to perform an impromptu concert, but not get some basic necessities to the passengers? Who at CCL spent their time trying to book a band, instead of HELPING the situation?

Here's another FB post from someone who got a message from the ship...looks like the passengers aren't yet aware of how much their progress has been slowed by the weather conditions.:(

I FINALLY talked to my Mom Just now for the first time since she left for the cruise. Passengers are Able to Call and recieve calls! They should be off the boat in 4 hours!!!! She said everything is as bad as they are saying it is. "It's unbelievable" She says. People are stealing other peoples stuff. If she didnt have her friends with her she said she would not have made it, They all kept each other going! Im SOOOOO happy to hear she is ok!

I find this disturbing...CCL can get a musical group on to perform an impromptu concert, but not get some basic necessities to the passengers? Who at CCL spent their time trying to book a band, instead of HELPING the situation?

Since spinal tap is a fictitious band I think you missed the joke here.

You might want to google Spinal Tap.

Sarcasm, look it up in the dictionary :)

A couple of options--fall New England/Canadian cruise--the ship pretty much hugs the coast line the entire way--or a river cruise.

Sorry, I should have mentioned the option was a New England/Canadian cruise. My wife and I made exactly your point in rehearsing our "pitch"...it wouldn't be far from the coast. I think we'll convince if that's really what she wants to do.

Um, that was a joke. And they did have two ships stop to transfer food to triumph.

What I do not understand with this newest fire and subsequent disaster at sea - people living in sewage on their dream vacations and standing in line for four hours at a time for a bit of food - is why these big ships are not prepared to take care of the large number of people in their care. Ok, so the fire was put out,and no one was hurt. But what about the days that have followed? I'm speaking of the horrible reports of how these people are living not to mention the disease they could contract.

And for God's sake, buy some LED lights for the ship. Those things that stick on the wall last for quite a few hours. Put those sucks high on the walls so they don't get wet, and put them all over the ship so there is light. Even better have really great back up generators that can provide power for lighting and cooking and the basics of what we have come to know as life.

This entire situation is the most botched mess I have ever witnessed and in spite of having gone on right at 20 cruises, right now I don't have much desire to ever set foot on another ship. We had just gotten off the Splendor the day before she caught on fire. We dodged a bullet. And that's the last cruise we have been on.

I have not been too crazy about cruising in several years - once the viruses caught on they never got the ships really clean of them, and every cruise I went on I ended up sick after about 2005. It was very disappointing.

Just my thoughts. I'm not getting (1) why the ships are not prepared for emergencies, and (2) why no one has put forth any effort to evacuate the ship. And I'm not getting why they can't take these ships out of service and clean them up if they know there are viruses on them that are going to make people sick.

Only been on one cruise in my life. It was a seven day Carnival cruise on the Glory. While I enjoyed the vacation, the experience helped me decide if cruising was for me or not. I decided that I didn't care for "day at Sea." I also see issues what exactly what we are discussing here. Being too far away from land, international issues being closer to foreign countries, etc..

There are only two cruises I'm even considering, an Alaska cruise and New England/Canadian cruise. At least with those the ships are fairly close to land, and in most cases, near-by ports are available for emergencies. Looking at the maps of some of these cruises, doesn't look like the ships go that far off the mainland, and days at sea are limited for the most part.

I also wonder why cruise ships can't have at least one layer of back-up systems. I wouldn't put navigation/propulsion on this, but maybe it is time to incorporate larger public showering and toilet facilities that would have pumps that could be ran off emergency generators? That way people could at least shower and use the bathrooms. Plus, something should be done about food, even if it is just a decent amount of cold cereal and bottles of water, maybe even emergency rations for nutrients.

Archived