Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

What happens after everyone is safe on their life boats? How do they get rescued from the middle of the ocean? Coast Guard? How do they get passengers from a bobbling life boat to the cutter? I hope you don't think I am being flip...I really just don't know.

That cutter is only 210' feet long and can't accomodate 4500 people. They would bring some people aboard...elderly, health issues, etc, but most would be kept in their life boats until other vessels arrive on scene.

Mike Pedia (?sp), interviewed by CNN at the port, waiting for his wife to get home. Yeah, I've talked to her twice now, she said her and her group are just fine, as I expected she would be..they are playing cards and having a good time. It was rough for the first 20 hours or so.

CNN Live interview now with Julie Morgan...

Paraphrasing "Slept on top deck for three nights until it got too cold, then sleeping in dining room." "Room was very hot and very smelly. Sewage backing out of the showers. Because of the extreme tilt of the ship, if we showered the water would slosh around onto to the floor. Only going to room only to change and take a 'kind of' shower."

"Crew on the ship has been phenomenal and getting 3 hrs of rest a day," The one big complaint she has is "with the head office."

"There will be a pair of shoes I won't be keeping" ... "All the stairwells that are carpeted are saturated and squishes"

About the smell "It is revolting... combination of sewage and rotting food... depending on where you are on the ship when you think you've found a non-smelly place the wind changes"

One poor crew member in the one working toilet in there for hours to flush it and keep it clean.

I'd like to know if they were able to drop items of absolute necessity today - like medications, baby formula, diapers. I'm just curious if CCL staff are organized enough to know the most critical needs of the passengers on board the ship - especially the elderly, young, and those with chronic health conditions.

I still can't imagine what these passengers are going through. We're seasoned cruisers, and I asked my husband last night "What would you do in this situation" - he couldn't answer. There is no way I could make a good situation out of this whole mess.

In my opinion (and we've cruised Carnival since the early 80's), Carnival was negligent in allowing this ship to sail. The problems have been listed in black and white on this board for months now. Can't wait to hear the NTSB report on this incident.

With all this being said, I'm sailing on the Legend in less than 60 days. and I'm not saying that as a cheerleader of Carnival. It's something we've already booked, and can't do anything about it now. I've trusted CCL, RCCL, NCL, Princess, Celebrity for the past 28 years. We love cruising, but something's got to give on this penny penching mentality of cruise line industry in general.

You should be able to find clips at the CNN video site of their helicopter coverage of a USCG helicopter dropping supplies earlier today. It was carried live as well. Several "baskets" were lowered to the ship. It's not known if these were general supplies or things like emergency meds.

I'm also anxious to see what the NTSB finds out and the conclusions they draw from that.

Let me first say... I totally agree with you- "how else should Carnival have handled this" -my only thought is (and I am asking because I really do not know the answer and would like to) what if - GOD FORBID - that ship had caught fire and they would have had to evacuate. What happens after everyone is safe on their life boats? How do they get rescued from the middle of the ocean? Coast Guard? How do they get passengers from a bobbling life boat to the cutter? I hope you don't think I am being flip...I really just don't know.

I think that would have been a completely different situation. In the case of abandonment, in which there would have been danger of loss ofl ife, then the risks would have been acceptable. Other ships in the area could have assisted and picked up people from the boats and transported them to the nearest port. They were 150 miles from the coast of Mexico, so it would have been a task and there is little confidence that people would have wanted to endure that trip in and of itself in a bobbing lifeboat stuffed with other folks who would likely be seasick.

Transferring from one big ship directly to another would have been a daunting task.

I would be interested to hear all of the arm chair quarterbacks hear tell me how Carnival could have handled this situation much differently.

I have heard some say that passengers should have been transferred to another ship. Obviously this statement was made by someone who has no idea the dangers and difficulties in doing something like this between a large ship with no propulsion or stabilazation. Not to mention what would have to be done with people's luggage and the logisitcs of getting that stuff back to them in an effecient and timely manner.

I have heard complaints about taking the ship to Mobile and whynot somewhere else. Well, those decisions were likely made by the people running the salvage boats based upon the prevailing winds and currents and the diffculty in taking a powerless ship of this size thru a narrow waterway into the port, such as the excursion from the Gulf into the port of New Orleans.

Many are suggesting that these folks need to be put into a position to take a shower before being bused to their hotels. Do you have any idea how long something like this would take? or the lgoistics of providing hot water and soap for over 3000 people? Imagine someone taking a long hot shower while others wait in line to get their turn. Folks are complaining about waiting in line to get a sandwich, and you want to subject them to this?

I am really amazed at the "sue" mentality of people and how a company who was providing a vacation service to people is ready to be sacrificed at the altar of the courts for a few measly dollars that will likely mostly go to the lawyers.

I for one would be happy that I was alive considering the implications of what happened. I have traveled extensively in some third world countries and I know that these should not be compared, but the stench of sewage is not going to kill them, and certainly is not worthy of lawsuit.

To get the answer you seek, look no further than how the Splendor incident was handled. There was nothing. It kudos thrown around from fans to naysayers. Even the media couldn't get the story they were looking for.

But it goes to show there is no Playbook at Carnival, which explains why you can get at least two different answers to anything that goes on there.

CNN is certainly doing its best to make the worst of a bad situation. The drama kings and queens on the air are not to be believed! I will be so happy for those on the ship tonight when they are off Triumph. I hope all have safe travels home and it will be fasinating to hear true stories instead of all the speculation.

I like how they are still reporting about passengers staying outside due to "sweltering" conditions inside, yet they are almost to Mobile and the temperatures are in the 40's. nice reporting. Meanwhile the reporters standing at the Mobile port are wearing coats.

LOL I know, it's awful isn't it? CNN Headline: Sweltering Ship Moving to Chilly Area

It's fun to watch though! LOL

I'm glad that whatever else is going on, the passengers seem to have universal praise for the crew on the ship. I have always been impressed with the overworked crew-members on our cruises. At least one part of Carnival is working well...

I like how they are still reporting about passengers staying outside due to "sweltering" conditions inside, yet they are almost to Mobile and the temperatures are in the 40's. nice reporting. Meanwhile the reporters standing at the Mobile port are wearing coats.

So it isn't hot inside the ship? I'm sure it is quite toasty in there with 3000 people with no circulating air, and some "extra humidity."

I was being sarcastic. Somewhat.

I agree that in the long run Mobile might not have been the best choice.

For Carnival, Mobile was a no brainer. It has the shipyard with the only drydock on the Gulf Coast able to accommodate their ship. It's about what's good for Carnival.

It does seem that that Carnival has a string of bad luck.

This it the last thing they needed. They are already looking at $500MM tab on the salvage work going on off Italy. And if that operation fails watch out. This company could be in big trouble.

I’ve been on 10 cruises. All but 3 on CC. I’ve had nothing but wonderful experiences with Carnival but I’m not going to push my luck anymore.

I'm not sure how much of this is bad luck versus bad management.

Then the Captain should be fired, he should have known the conditions..Doubtfull reason.

You are correct. It was in inbound storm front from the west that was both forcasted and visible on radar. The Captain still decided to get underway and therefore crashed his ship. He was 100% responsible.

What I have seen here in the last few days is that no matter what is done, people will criticize and bash Carnival for it. Jesus!!! Even because the ship has rotated in the area I see people here flaming Carnival for choosing Mobile. On CNN they had a quite detailed explanation on what it takes to get the ship into the channel. It's complex enough for a ship under power to get in, imagine a huge ship with no power and the wind pushing against it. They are fighting against the wind to get ship in position. Let them do their job and stop criticizing from your armchairs.

Archived