Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

There really IS something wrong with the Destiny platform designed ships....even if Arison prefers to ignore it and continue watching his blasted basketball...

Looking over the last 18-24+ months via various reports from crew, media & pax.

Destiny, Triumph, Splendor, Glory, Breeze, Dream, Liberty have ALL reported electrical and/or propulsion issues on a regular basis over the last 18 months, most complete power losses, some electrical fires..add in Concordia, Magica, Serena, Fortuna & Pacifica which have also reported similar problems during this timespan…ALL are Destiny platform design ships.

Compare that to the Spirit/Vista 1/Vista 2/Signature platform ships and you only get Legend one time and Costa Deliziosa one time with an azipod problem.

Concordia was reporting blackouts and other electrical problems right upto a few hours prior to her loss. She had been experiencing blackouts, loss of essential equipment (depth sounder, radar, black box and autopilot) several times in the THREE WEEKS immediately prior to her demise…indeed, a full repair crew were to meet and board on January 14, 2012 at Savona and they were to stay with the ship for 7-10 days to carry out repairs to her sail/no sail equipment…she was allowed to sail with her sail/no sail equipment out of service on the previso that the engineering crew were to meet her on the 14th.

There IS something VERY wrong with the Destiny platform family of ships.

The DIFFERENCE tween the Destiny platorm and the Spirit/Vista 1/Vista 2/Signature classes is simple…

Destiny platform have ONLY been built at Fincantieri from a design blueprint by Fincantieri.

Spirit & Vista 1 originated in Kvaener Mesa and were then adapted/enlarged by Fincantieri. The original blueprints had more than enough redundancy to allow for growth and design tweaks.

There is NO redundancy being built into the Destiny platform ships, which is why they are constantly suffering from systemic failures.

Had this been about a car, truck or bus...they would be recalled. Had this been about an airliner...they would be grounded.

But cos we are talking about a cruise ship type, carrying upwards of 4000 people each that generates millions in revenue....a blind eye is being turned by everyone...and one day there will be an even bigger loss of life from one of these ships...either by an uncontainable fire or structural failure or another grounding partially due to human error but partially due to equipment failure.

FYI, the webcam on Dauphin Island started working again, but only does a refresh of the image every 5 minutes. Shouldn't be too far from here at this point, but not visible yet.

The webcam at Fairhope I poseted earlier is a better webcam, but further into the Bay (east side). This can be controlled by the viewer so if she gets into the bay before dark she should be visible. However, nothing to see now.

Just to repeat, here is the CNN Live feed on Local Channel 15

http://www.local15tv.com/content/livestream/default/Carnival-Triumph-Making-its-Way-To-Mobile/iAebEeXnhUyKqbAckjeFNQ.cspx

If it's true it'll be tomorrow before they port, they need to get people off that ship NOW. They're close enough to land to do it. I don't care about the cost and Carnival shouldn't, and I bet people would choose to get off the ship, even if there's some risk involved, rather than stay on it.

Someone here posted that they were readying some sort of tenders to get people off, but I don't know if there's any truth to it.

Let me first say... I totally agree with you- "how else should Carnival have handled this" -my only thought is (and I am asking because I really do not know the answer and would like to) what if - GOD FORBID - that ship had caught fire and they would have had to evacuate. What happens after everyone is safe on their life boats? How do they get rescued from the middle of the ocean? Coast Guard? How do they get passengers from a bobbling life boat to the cutter? I hope you don't think I am being flip...I really just don't know.

Any ship in the area would have been required under maritime law to respond and render assistance.

2ldeoig.png

what does the last one say, a ship afloat?

It says "the ship's afloat!"

Another one says "get us to louisiana!"

I'd be going stir crazy; I can only imagine how they must feel. I love hearing how great the crew is though because Carnival's crew on my cruise was truly outstanding. They went above and beyond for me under normal conditions and I'm so proud that the crew is getting praise for how they're handling this situation-- and they have it a lot worse than the passengers do. So three cheers for them. I hope they get compensated for overtime and what they're going through; the passengers are getting money so I think the crew should too.

admit that CCL nixed Progesso to save on transportation costs? Or was it because the Mexican government might not have been so kind, (in the pockets) as the American? There had to be a reason for making these people suffer what, 3 extra days?

More like 1-2 extra days, but still...

Maybe they should.have been so fast removing those mattresses for show.

One thing to consider is that they removed the sheets and mattresses so the helicopter could deliver supplies to the upper deck. If one of the sheets got caught up in the wash from the helicopter, that could be catastrophic to those on the ship and the helicopter.

This interview with Julie Moran on CNN right now was very enlightening. She said they had an inside room and it was too dark and hot to sleep inside. They have their luggage with them (contrary to what was reported on this thread early on). She said they were sleeping on mattresses on the open decks until last night when it got too cold and is now sleeping in the dining room. She said the crew have been outstanding and the only gripe they have is with the head honchos in Miami. She said the carpets in the hallways and stairwells are saturated to the point of sloshing when you step on them. She said they are not starving. There's been plenty of food just not what you would "want to eat". She did say that people were hoarding food and taking like 15-20 of everything. She said the smell was a mixture of sewage and rotting food. She said the coast guard dropped food yesterday and they were able to get a grill running and had grilled chicken yesterday.

Why didn't the crew handles the rations and take the choice away from te passengers on how much food was given to each person to insure fair share?

The one thing that occurred to me, I would be less likely to consider a Eastern Caribbean cruise now, just because of the sheer distance between ports. Seems like Western would be a better bet if there was an issue, lots more islands and ports to be able to go to if needed. (Of course it helps that I've done the Western a lot).

looks like a lot of people on the open decks and waving..Seems they are enjoying themselves

this made me laugh! I'm sure they're really enjoying themselves right about now. Maybe they're waving off the return, and would like some more free booze and time to bond with their fellow pax and then they'll have more stories to tell their friends when they return?????

You should work in Carnival's PR dept.

thorough investigation and remedies for these ships. What we don't need: Congressional grandstanding and burdensome regulations that will solve nothing and put cruising further out of the reach of the average traveler.

Politicians love nothing better than to exploit tragedy, and this would not be helpful. We simply need to fix the defect, provide better response, and serve punishment to anyone who knowingly ignores a safety risk.

If it's true it'll be tomorrow before they port, they need to get people off that ship NOW. They're close enough to land to do it. I don't care about the cost and Carnival shouldn't, and I bet people would choose to get off the ship, even if there's some risk involved, rather than stay on it.

Problem is the tenders. Even if close to shore, it can be tough w the tenders if seas are rough

I was just in St Bart's on tender and the seas were very very rough. They probably should not have run the tenders, my mother fell into the tender boat and hurt herself and it was a huge ordeal getting her back on the ship bc it was so rocky. She was lucky she did not get hurt more, but she had huge black and blue marks all over her body and since then she has daily headaches bc she hit her head. Also, everyone on the tender boat was jerked around, people easily could have got hurt. Alot of people complained, it was really really bad,

There were all adults there, but when you add in children and elderly people, if the ocean is rough it is very dangerous transferring to tender boat in open ocean. Kid could easily fall in the ocean or get crushed. It is also hard to get in boat if it is swaying and w no electricity they may have difficulty pulling it up.

Someone could die. At the very least, if they get the tenders involved, someone would probably break arm or leg. I have been on tons of cruises and tons of tenders and until you see for yourself what it is like in open ocean you do not realize how tough it is to transfer in tender boats in those conditions.

Makes you nervous what happens if you has to abandon ship...my experience in st Bart's makes me realize how hard it would actually be to get in tender boat especially if ship was lisping.

The live pictures are showing relatively calm seas so it's just the wind that may be causing problems. CNN reports that Triumph is traveling at less than a knot.

I expect Progreso / Mobile will be debated for years.

And strong currents!

I sure hope so; that is what desperately needs to happen. Any excuses at this point are, in my mind, totally ridiculous.

It's pretty rough out there. Did you watch the video of the pilot and other people boarding? They do this all the time and he was having trouble. Transfer would be really risky.

admit that CCL nixed Progesso to save on transportation costs? Or was it because the Mexican government might not have been so kind, (in the pockets) as the American? There had to be a reason for making these people suffer what, 3 extra days?

From what I read and it could have been wrong but the ship had drifted north with the current and it was the same distance to Progresso as it was Mobile and it would have been against the current.

This interview with Julie Moran on CNN right now was very enlightening. She said they had an inside room and it was too dark and hot to sleep inside. They have their luggage with them (contrary to what was reported on this thread early on). She said they were sleeping on mattresses on the open decks until last night when it got too cold and is now sleeping in the dining room. She said the crew have been outstanding and the only gripe they have is with the head honchos in Miami. She said the carpets in the hallways and stairwells are saturated to the point of sloshing when you step on them. She said they are not starving. There's been plenty of food just not what you would "want to eat". She did say that people were hoarding food and taking like 15-20 of everything. She said the smell was a mixture of sewage and rotting food. She said the coast guard dropped food yesterday and they were able to get a grill running and had grilled chicken yesterday.

Agreed..many people had normal fear reactions and have been wonderful..I am sure there will be many many good people with honest accurate reports and who eloquently explain how they survived...and a few who did not do very well in the behavior department.

Maybe they had families of passenger and crew to fill Mobile...maybe they wanted to leave accessibility for those that could get there to pick up their loved ones themselves...Sarah

Everyone wants the passengers off as soon as possible but it just isn't going to happen anytime soon. If you watch the live feed you'll occasionally see small boats transferring people aboard. Pretty scary to contemplate that 3,000 times with less well trained people who may be far less agile.

I believe one of the CNN reporters mentioned that Carnival has tenders standing by if needed. So I doubt cost is the issue.

Archived