Beach Based Snorkelling?

TBone2K

I've done some reading looking for a tour with snorkelling where I know we won't have to climb onto the boat without a ladder. From what I can tell, boats change based on the number of people taking the tour. So its hard to know 100%. So that leaves us with snorkelling off a beach somewhere.

So are there any beaches around with good snorkelling? We'd be okay getting a taxi as long as we are going to a public area, and can rent the equipment.

You can snorkel directly from downtown George Town. Walking distance from the tender piers. The Cali wreck is about 50 yards offshore. You should be able to find instructions in the Grand Cayman board.

There is also a very inexpensive ship excursion that will take you to the Cali - unless you are on the very first tenders of the day you'll see the snorkelers on your tender ride in.

The best beach snorkeling is, IMO, Cemetery Beach. You can easily get a public bus or taxi there. There is no equipment rental there, but you can rent equipment at the Public Beach which is on the way to Cemetery Beach.

Hello,

I've never been on a curise, in April will be going on my first one and I'm reading to see what I can find to help me. I saw where someone metnion tenders. am curious to know what is tenders?

thanks for whover may reply to this one.

Tenders are the boats the boats that take the passengers from the cruise ship into port. Some Islands don't have docks and they are required to anker ship of shore and transport the passengers from there.

Hello,

I've never been on a curise, in April will be going on my first one and I'm reading to see what I can find to help me. I saw where someone metnion tenders. am curious to know what is tenders?

thanks for whover may reply to this one.

Check out this link for tender pictures and info on snorkeling near the ship.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/gc_dec_2005.htm

I just posted a review that talked about this :) We just found a shuttle to take us to the beach & rented snorkeling gear for $10pp there. We had a blast. You can see some of our pics on my review as well :)

Do you mind posting a link for the review?

We took the bus to Hell ($2.50 p.p.) then we took the bus back from Hell and went to Cemetary Beach. The beach was great, but the snorkelling was just so so - at least what we saw. Maybe we were unfortunate and missed the good stuff. On a positive note, we did see a stingray swimming somewhere down below us and a bit of coral.

Last year we missed this port altogether as the waves were rough - at the end of November (end of hurricane season too i guess).

We took the bus to Hell ($2.50 p.p.) then we took the bus back from Hell and went to Cemetary Beach. The beach was great, but the snorkelling was just so so - at least what we saw. Maybe we were unfortunate and missed the good stuff. On a positive note, we did see a stingray swimming somewhere down below us and a bit of coral.

Last year we missed this port altogether as the waves were rough - at the end of November (end of hurricane season too i guess).

How easy was it get the bus back from cemetery to port?

I'm a little nervous about the water and snorkeling. We went to Cemetary Beach and it was great for me. I could just walk into the water and get used to it and start snorkeling. There is a great reef there but it is about 100 yards out. You have to swim out to it and there was tons of coral and fish. I bought a vest because like I said I am pretty nervous but you are pretty buoyant. I did not see anywhere to rent gear so bring your own.

Im pretty sure I remember seeing a bus stop across the street from Cemetary Beach. We had rental car so I can't say for sure.

To use the public bus to get back to the port from Cemetery beach (or anywhere along Seven Mile Beach) you will need to cross the road and wave at any passing bus. You do not need to be at a designated bus stop.

There is not a set timetable for the buses but that area is served very frequently and you will likely not have to wait more than 5 minutes.

To use the public bus to get back to the port from Cemetery beach (or anywhere along Seven Mile Beach) you will need to cross the road and wave at any passing bus. You do not need to be at a designated bus stop.

There is not a set timetable for the buses but that area is served very frequently and you will likely not have to wait more than 5 minutes.

Thank you very much for your help. Both in this thread and the other one. :)

gambee and caribsun thanks for responding to my questions.

We were planning on going to Hell and the turtle farm, just wondering if Hell is that exciting to see or not?

If you go on one of the excursion that let's you swim with the Sea Lions, etc, they will give you a life jacket, or am I'm reading that wrong. As my daughter wants to do this and being out there without one scares me.. So should I still take one of my own?

gambee and caribsun thanks for responding to my questions.

We were planning on going to Hell and the turtle farm, just wondering if Hell is that exciting to see or not?

If you go on one of the excursion that let's you swim with the Sea Lions, etc, they will give you a life jacket, or am I'm reading that wrong. As my daughter wants to do this and being out there without one scares me.. So should I still take one of my own?

As far as I know all cruise lines require the issuing of flotation vests on any ship excursion that involves passengers getting into the ocean. These are not life jackets. They are usually inflatable vests that people can inflate by blowing into a tube.

Depending on her swimming skills and age, you may want to purchase a personal flotation device correctly fitted for your daughter. The USCG has a page describing various options and selection suggestions at http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfdselection.asp

Archived