Visiting The Arizonia in Honolulu Excursion on the Celebrity, Century

ka1958

Going on the upcoming Celebrity Century cruise 15 Nights Hawaii Feb. 17, 2013 = march 4, 2013. Looking at the excursions to the Arizonia in Honolulu. My question is has anyone experienced noy being able to get onto the Arizonia. Before I purchase this excursion it does state due to the popularity you may not be able to get on it. Has nyone ever had the problem of not being able to get on it? Does anyone have any suggestions on getting around in Honolulu and being able to sightsee on your own?

Also got on a MDR waitlist for the 6:00 pm, Are they accomodating to change it?

The best place for your research is the Celebrity board. Particularly for the dining question, but for the excursion question as well.

That being said, this may be a case of a limited number of tickets for an excursion, and when they are booked, that is it.

As to getting around in Honolulu, this is discussed extensively on the Hawaii board. Bus, taxi, rental car are all discussed.

Gotta get to the Visitors Center early . May still have wait time until time

you get assigned to take the launch over to it. Can tour the museum , the Missouri , ect. while you wait your time.

Been to Hawaii 3 times, only got there early enough for the limited tickets

one time .

if you purchase a ship's excursion you will be fine. yes it does get crowded on board the memorial but people on organized trips get first dibs( not just ship excusrsion but those companies that offer the tours locally)

plus the time of year it shouldn't be too bad for tourists.. the Japanese will tend to visit during Golden Week (last week of April through the first of May) and most Americans with kids are still in school.

I find the public transportation in Honolulu to be fine actually. used it a few times to go to places like the Zoo and shopping when there during some medical evacs from Japan

I use to work for ship tours but not for Celebrity, however the cruise line sets up in advance the times they will arrive in Pearl Harbor and have tickets set aside for a trip out to the Arizona. I would definately go see it if you have the chance. I have been out there several times when in Hawaii as a tourist. If they give you a chance to have time to go to the Missouri I would do that also. It is a must see place.

We did this by ourselves with plenty of advice from the Port of Call Hawaii board (over the Xmas holiday). We left the ship as soon as it was cleared and grabbed a taxi right outside the ship to Pearl Harbor. I believe we shared the taxi with another couple also going to Pearl Harbor. Definately take a taxi -we took a bus back and the bus made a lot of stops. We did not bring any backpack, only a camera since we heard if you have backpack or bag you have to check it. We wanted to save every minute. I got on the Missouri ticket line and my husband got on the Arizona line. We got tickets that were in the afternoon (I'm thinking maybe 1:30ish). So we took the Pearl Harbor bus to the Missouri, took the tour and spent several hours there, had lunch, went to the Arizona and found out we now were to watch a movie and then come back for the Arizona. There is a small museum across from the ferry to the Arizona that included a smaller screen version of the movie we had just seen. I am just saying this because if you happened to miss out on the Arizona, you could still tour the Missouri battleship, the museum and see a small movie. There is also a walkway which we did do (probably plaques to read) and a submarine tour which we did not do. The Arizona memorial, while it is something you want to do, is now crowded with people and you lose a little bit of the spirituality of it. There is not a lot to do there as there is on the battleship. But don't get me wrong, it is interesting. The walkway was quiet when we did it and we had more of a chance to reflect on the day.

If you do not get tickets to the Arizona you could do all the above at Pearl Harbor and take a taxi back to the Palace (Ioni?) where we did an audio tour on a previous cruise. We really enjoyed the palace. This is within walking distance of the ship. Or there is the Bishop museum (not walking distance from the ship) which we have not made it to yet.

There is also a shopping mall next to where the cruise ship docks or you can take a shopping bus into Wakiki. For us, Pearl Harbor and the Missouri and Arizona tour was a pretty full day. We also walked around the mall for an hour.

There are tons of things to do in Honolulu. Just check the port of call page. On the cruise where we visited the palace we took a bus to Wakiki and went to the beach for a few hours and visited the hotel where we had honeymooned 40 years earlier. On both our cruises the ship was docked until 11:30 so you have time to do a few things.

If you do not get tickets to the Arizona you could do all the above at Pearl Harbor and take a taxi back to the Palace (Ioni?) where we did an audio tour on a previous cruise. We really enjoyed the palace.

close. Iolani Palace. it is the only true palace( home to Royalty) in the US

I also suggest a trip to Punchbowl Cemetery. some really beautiful murals there.

TY so much for your information. We were thinking about taking a taxi and going on our own.

I'm not sure a taxi is the best solution. It can get very expensive as traffic in Oahu is terrible. You could rent a car and go off on your own, but to insure you get tickets for the Arizona, I'd stick with the ship's tour. You're guaranteed a visit to the Memorial.

Archived