Attempt at a Semi- LIVE report from the Adventure of the Seas b2b, Feb 17 & 24, 2013!

ckrobyn

CKROBIN -

I'm following for a play-by-play of your sailing. Can't wait. DW and I are sailing a Western on Oasis in April. We have never sailed the Southern route and have questioned whether to pre-book a Southern sailing while on-board in April. To date, we have only done Eastern and Western. I assume that you have sailed this numerous times? I have read threads concerning the Southern routes ships needing dry-dock soon; this does raise some concern as we have never tried any of the ships in the class and are unfamiliar. Any advice on pro and cons for booking this route at this time would be greatly appreciated. Hope you enjoy your two weeks! I will be watching for updates to enjoy from Ohio.

Thanks very much - from what I am hearing, the AOS is in good shape. I realize that she is going into drydock, but I also know they would not allow the ship to be in a state of disrepair. A couple of paint chips and some frayed carpet (if that's the case) would never phase me anyways.

We have sailed the AOS at least 10 times and the southern itinerary is second to none :) I don't see any cons at all!!!

Robyn, I just started a new thread, "Photos of Appetizers, Entrees, and Desserts" for anyone who would like to add photos of their meals as a quick reference for those wondering about the new menus. We are doing our B2B in May and I will take as many photos as possible to add to the thread and was wondering if you would be willing to take photos of your meals & maybe your tablemates would even be willing to show their meals for your Cruise Critic Friends. Looking forward to your review, have a great cruise:)!!!

I will bring my camera to the MDR as often as I remember :rolleyes: and I will try and take decent pics of my meals.....I do love looking at everyone else's photos, so I will do my best. I won't be posting photos until I return.

We had great afternoon in OSJ - the charm is simply lovely. We did a lot of walking, up and down hills - in and out of gift stores, craft stores and even a cute little vintage store. The taxi ride was a flat rate of $15 and it took around 10 minutes. While en route, we were able to see the Celebrity Summit and the Brilliance of the Seas sitting proudly at their pier near OSJ :) We stopped at a nice little frozen yogurt shoppe called BLIZZ and it was delish. It is seriously hot here today, and so when we arrived back at the Marriott we went for a dip in the pool/ocean. I must comment that in all my years coming here, I have never seen the ocean near this hotel SO calm......there is very little wind.....hope it stays like this for sailaway tomorrow!!!

Right now I am sitting in the hotel lobby enjoying free internet with my Corona ;) The place is buzzing with guests who have disembarked today, and those that are arriving for their cruises tomorrow. You can literally see the excitement on everyone's faces :D

Tonight we are going to an Italian restaurant - it is just a short walk from the hotel, we have been there before.......I just can't recall the name :rolleyes: I will post it later. After dinner we will probably go for a walk along the Condado - it is very nice in the evening with lots of activity.

I bought a small battery operated fan today :eek: I hope it does not land my suitcase in the naughty room???? I will let you know......LOL!!!

Edited by ckrobyn

Did you end up stopping at the Barrachina? I almost always make a visit when I'm in San Juan.

It does get hot in San Juan when the sun starts beating on those dark blue cobblestones!:eek:

And.... it is snowing here right now.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Did you end up stopping at the Barrachina? I almost always make a visit when I'm in San Juan.

It does get hot in San Juan when the sun starts beating on those dark blue cobblestones!:eek:

And.... it is snowing here right now.

We actually didn't :( We saw it, just didn't go in today. Speaking of cobblestones.....we saw a lady wipe out on them, she fell and I think it was pretty bad unfortunately. Between the grates, uneven pavement and cobblestone.......I was extra careful!:rolleyes:

Snow you say???? I feel for you.....I really do. :o

I am looking forward to reading about your embarkation at the Pan Am pier. We are leaving from SJU on our repo cruise aboard the Grandeur of the Seas in April. I have read it is not the most efficient place to board. I am hoping you tell me they are all exaggerating.:p

I have read that there is a store that sells wine, sodas and water on the pier after you go through the security line. [i plan to be in SJU a couple of days early--but, someone on our roll call asked this]

Thanks in advance. I did a live thread from our cruise to Alaska. It took some work. But, I had a really great descrition of our cruise when I was finished. When you are finished --go to the "thread tools" at the top of the page and select printable version. I went through this and deleted all of the posts except my descriptions of the cruise. It is a great record.

I am looking forward to reading about your embarkation at the Pan Am pier. We are leaving from SJU on our repo cruise aboard the Grandeur of the Seas in April. I have read it is not the most efficient place to board. I am hoping you tell me they are all exaggerating.:p

I have read that there is a store that sells wine, sodas and water on the pier after you go through the security line. [i plan to be in SJU a couple of days early--but, someone on our roll call asked this]

Thanks in advance. I did a live thread from our cruise to Alaska. It took some work. But, I had a really great descrition of our cruise when I was finished. When you are finished --go to the "thread tools" at the top of the page and select printable version. I went through this and deleted all of the posts except my descriptions of the cruise. It is a great record.

I can tell you from past experience that there is a small store that sells alcohol, but not water and soda - unless something has changed?

I think the entire disembarkation and embarkation process has improved over the past few weeks....we shall see :rolleyes:

I'm going to try and update as often as I can - but I have definitely committed to at least once a day :D more if we are in port with free wifi!!!

Edited by ckrobyn

We are leaving from SJU on our repo cruise aboard the Grandeur of the Seas in April. I have read it is not the most efficient place to board. I am hoping you tell me they are all exaggerating.:p

There are 2 terminals in San Juan. One has a duty free store, and the other one doesn't. If you are on a repo cruise and one of the home ported ships is also there....chances are you will be assigned to the terminal without the store. Sorry.

Robyn...... if you see this before boarding..... if you can try and get a taste of the Hug-a-Colada drink they sell after security.... it's delicious!!!!

Of course I am seeing this. I am still sitting in the lobby bar, still drinking my corona, and still enjoying free wifi :p

I will definitely try the Hug a Colada!!! Thanks for the tip. Oh and by the way, when our taxi passed by the Sheraton Convention hotel, I was pointing at it saying "that's where Linda stayed"!!!!!:D My DH and DD already think I am nuts, but even more so because they don't get the whole "I know this person from CC" thing ;) LOL

Looking forward to your live-ish feeds. We are sailing out on the AOS in April. This will help us feed the crusie addiction monster while we wait for our turn to come. If you get a chance our room is going to be 9570 our first junior suite. Wishing you good travels!

We are in same cabin on med cruise in july - would also love to see any photos and of the balcony!

There are 2 terminals in San Juan. One has a duty free store, and the other one doesn't. If you are on a repo cruise and one of the home ported ships is also there....chances are you will be assigned to the terminal without the store. Sorry.

By home ported ship do you mean Adventure - so I can actually buy wine to take on board from the duty free shop in the port ??? ;)

Thanks Robyn. . . I will be following along for the next 2 weeks !

I think you know that I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE. . ."LIVE" reports !

Radio

;);)

Edited by Radio

By home ported ship do you mean Adventure - so I can actually buy wine to take on board from the duty free shop in the port ??? ;)

Yes. You have a 50/50 chance of having the duty free store in your terminal. When Serenade & Adventure were doing Sat./Sun departures they had the terminal with the store. When we did a repo cruise, Adventure had the store, and we had the "other" terminal. Sorry for the interruption.

Edited by Coralc

:D 1 MORE SLEEP :D

I am betting that you are so excited you probably wont have one more sleep as you will be up all night with anticipation. Cold and snowy here. Wishing I was in beautiful Puerto Rico!

Am very excited for you and am looking forward to this LIVE FROM thread.

Edited by Loves_Dogs

I'm so excited for your review! Adventure is my favorite ship as well...she was our first...and you never forget your first love! :) My husband and I really love the southern itineraries and have fantasized about doing a B2B, unfortunately can't get 2 consecutive weeks off work :( We're planning to book the Jewel this summer, it's been quite a few years since we've cruised the southern islands so I'm excited to tag along!

Excited is an understatement!!

We just saw Brilliance and Celebrity Summit sail by our hotel :) If I can get any sleep at all, I will still try and wake up to see the AOS sailing into port....:rolleyes:

Tonight we changed our plans and went to a Japanese restaurant next door to our hotel called "Cherry Blossom" - they have cooking tables and they seat about 12 people, we were sitting next to several people who had just returned from their cruises. The food was excellent and the conversation was great - I always enjoy meeting people from all over the world when I travel.

We did another Walgreens run and the place was packed with people getting ready to cruise tomorrow - you could feel the anticipation in the air :p

I have scrolled back and taken note of cabin #'s for those who want pictures, and also for those who have asked for specific information....I will do my best to answer everyone.

Our plan is to arrive at the Pan American Pier at about 10:30AM - hopefully the passengers debarking are quick and we can board....but if not, we will enjoy chatting with everyone in line - that's part of the fun!!!

Thanks for all the great replies today - I am so happy to share my ship, and my cruises with you :D