Life jacket for drill?

cwbabe48

I know it is for safety reasons that we no longer take the life jacket to muster, but I miss it.

My first cruise I was up at my station, not having a clue as to how to tie it. A very nice crewmember came over and helped me. We were all such a sight with our lifejackets on going up and down the stairs. For me, it signaled that a great cruise was about to begin.

Everytime I look at the DVD of our first cruise and see the portion on the muster, I can't help but smile.

I'm not 100% certain,but I believe HAL stopped requiring life jackets be worn for muster was for safety reasons,i.e.: people stepping on,tripping on straps being dragged up and down stairs and on deck.

Makes sense to me. Im glad they made the change.

Bon Voyage

Do you have to take your life jacket to the drill before Embarkation?
The others have answered the life jacket part, BUT as the muster drill is held on the ship, it is after embarkation. I don't know how they do it before you embark on Royal Caribbean, but in all my years on HAL, it is always after. :)

I guess I am in the minority but I believe lifeboat drills should be as realistic as possible. I think you should go to your station (which HAL still does) and have to don your lifejacket. During a disaster is not the time to learn how to put one on or how to make sure your straps don;t cause others to fall. Those lessons are best learned in a practice not the real thing.

During a disaster is not the time to learn how to put one on or how to make sure your straps don;t cause others to fall. Those lessons are best learned in a practice not the real thing.

I agree with that premise, but not the conclusion that we should bring life jackets when we know that some people won't follow the instruction about dragging straps. So long as innocent people get hurt when the straps are dragged HAL shouldn't knowingly put them in danger.

At least some of the ships have switched to jackets that snap; no straps to drag and trip others. If and when all the ships have the new style jackets, then perhaps it's time to reconsider the procedure and go back to donning life jackets before the drill.

I agree with that premise, but not the conclusion that we should bring life jackets when we know that some people won't follow the instruction about dragging straps. So long as innocent people get hurt when the straps are dragged HAL shouldn't knowingly put them in danger.

At least some of the ships have switched to jackets that snap; no straps to drag and trip others. If and when all the ships have the new style jackets, then perhaps it's time to reconsider the procedure and go back to donning life jackets before the drill.

Haven't the life jackets been replaced & now have snaps/clips? :confused:

Archived