What Does the Media Have Wrong?

MrPete

I am not going to repeat where i saw the too positive and too negative and where i have posted seeing a couple of others points of view on each side and i did not watch it nonstop...but had it on alot on the final day and i felt they tried to get both sides and be fair...i think the bias of the observer is more high than the story they were trying to get out fairly on CNN...i saw them make good comments about the good and bad being a lot in the make up of the survivor who lived through it but also not sugar coating the prolonged frustration and unsanitary unpleasantness and discomfort of the deal as well as the good fortune to be safely home....Sarah

So you are saying that they only decided to restore bathrooms to expensive cabins and the officers? This is quite an interesting observations based on nothing but pure speculation.

Perhaps you didn't hear the reports that came out during the first day or two which said quite plaiinly that "some" cabins in the forward part of the ship had bathroom facilities.

Have you ever taken a bridge tour? If you have, you know that the cabins of the captain, chief officers, cruise director, language ambassador are all in the forward area of the ship, immediately behind the bridge. You might also have observed that this is where some of the most expensive cabins are located!

Those people were clearly in search of their 15 minutes, as it appeared that they were dancing, laughing, and having a great time putting on a nice show for the cameras.

Certainly. I got to assume they were not in that position for 4 and a half days. :rolleyes:

DW and I were watching CNN as the ship pulled in to Mobile. They were talking to some of the passengers still on the ship by phone. I asked DW how all of a sudden the passengers knew what CNN's phone number was to call them. I can't imagine a 16 year old girl calling information to find out what the phone number is of CNN. I'd call family before I'd call CNN.

DW and I were watching CNN as the ship pulled in to Mobile. They were talking to some of the passengers still on the ship by phone. I asked DW how all of a sudden the passengers knew what CNN's phone number was to call them. I can't imagine a 16 year old girl calling information to find out what the phone number is of CNN. I'd call family before I'd call CNN.

I don't know if it was posted here, or the megathread, but someone said the "CALL CNN" with a phone number BANNER was on the circling helicopter.

What did they get wrong?.. Nothing in their eyes..for media today it's all about ratings. It was a major news story for that cycle.

I think CNN has the most coverage , also CNN just went thru a major shakeup dues to failing ratings . Their new strategy ( well documented ) is to be left of center with more of a tabloid flash . Not getting into politics... Just stating their strategy . I would of like to see the news outlets have more experts on for their coverage , not people's trying to sell books ( I think foxes had a former officer on who had just published a book) perhaps a nautical engineer , someone who could explain to people that a ship that size could not stay at a 45 list for a long time .. But that would be boring so they go with what's flashy

So at the end of the day , sadly I treat all news the same try to get the facts and do my own editing of the drama/ flash/ editorial

Talking about the media... why did Carnival take down the "Tent City" before the ship docked?

Why did Carnival not allow the folks getting off the plane in Houston talk to the media?

Sure the media got some things wrong, like terminology. But you cannot dispute the vast majority of reports from the passengers who spoke of the deplorable conditions.

Actually, Carnival should be very happy that the media has not focused on the pre-existing problems of Triumph and asked the question of why it was allowed to sail in the first place. I mean, even warnings were given here on CC!

As to why the makeshift tents were taken down, that was done prior to the helicopters hovering above the ship to drop off supplies. The downdraft from the helicopter(s) would have had the sheets and blankets blowing all over the place.

While I did mostly watch CNN's coverage of the Triumph being towed to Mobile, I did see a report on ABC News that made me shake my head. The reporter referred to the ship as being disabled at sea for eight days. I think he was using what some refer to as "fuzzy math". Let's count together. The fire , which disabled the ship, occurred on Sunday. The ship arrived in Mobile on Thursday. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Hmm, I count five days, NOT eight.

Is there even one network news agency that is 100% credible 100% of the time, that reports the facts without drama or made-up B.S.? Fox News probably comes the closest, despite what many detractors think about Fox.

Perhaps you didn't hear the reports that came out during the first day or two which said quite plaiinly that "some" cabins in the forward part of the ship had bathroom facilities.

Have you ever taken a bridge tour? If you have, you know that the cabins of the captain, chief officers, cruise director, language ambassador are all in the forward area of the ship, immediately behind the bridge. You might also have observed that this is where some of the most expensive cabins are located!

Those people do live in the front of the ship... But the leap between "some" cabins in the forward part of the ship and CCL only restoring expensive cabins and to the officers, is quite a jump. So far, the two reports of bathrooms that worked that I have read were a balcony and an inside. Hardly the most expensive cabins.

What did CNN get wrong?

I think the whole narritive they spun was wrong. Were the incidentals right? Ship without power, Few working toilets, a few people hording food early on, cucumber sandwiches.. Were these all things they got right? Yes, the incidental details of what happened seemed to be correct, however, what CNN got wrong was far bigger than that. It was the narritive of the story.

If you watched the CNN coverage for more than a few hours, you picked up that the sense that this was Lord of the Flies on the Barge of the Damned, or the Super Dome 2.0. And that wasn't really the case now. The overall story was the triumph of the human spirit in the face of what was most definatly challenging, horrific circumstances.

Not one person who was actually on the ship has posted on this thread, but so many seem to know what the media got wrong about the incident. ;):D

How do you know Antarctica exists? Have you Been there?

My guess is no.. so how do you know?

How do I know the media accounts on this were wrong? Listening to reliable accounts (PAX stepping off the boat), watching Videos made by PAX, and reading their own words here in the forum.

Not one person who was actually on the ship has posted on this thread, but so many seem to know what the media got wrong about the incident. ;):D

You didn't need to be on the Triumph to know basic factual errors about cruising and ships in general that the media completely screwed up... Carnival's armada of thousands of ships, how would they ever dock without stabilizers, etc, etc...

Archived