Our Cruise is Overbooked!

stewpapa

Can't say I've heard of this on RCCL.....Princess is a different story....you do a search on the Princess board for "move over offer" and you'll see alot of activity!

I can tell ya 1st hand how that works.....we were suppose to leave on a Sunday for a 7 night cruise.....Weds we got called....."if you cancel your Sunday cruise and can go the next day, we'll move you from your inside cabin to a balcony cabin, and there's no extra charge for going on the 14 night cruise " !! We ended up getting the best category of balcony cabins, and I want to say they even threw in some OBC.....My arm hurt for a couple of days from having it twisted so hard, but we recovered :D :)

Can't say I've heard of this on RCCL.....Princess is a different story....you do a search on the Princess board for "move over offer" and you'll see alot of activity!

I can tell ya 1st hand how that works.....we were suppose to leave on a Sunday for a 7 night cruise.....Weds we got called....."if you cancel your Sunday cruise and can go the next day, we'll move you from your inside cabin to a balcony cabin, and there's no extra charge for going on the 14 night cruise " !! We ended up getting the best category of balcony cabins, and I want to say they even threw in some OBC.....My arm hurt for a couple of days from having it twisted so hard, but we recovered :D :)

Friends of ours (parents) were booked on Princess for an Alaska cruise. They were in a balcony cabin and they were asked if they would switch to an interior with a lot of onboard credit for their sailing and offered an additional free cruise in a balcony stateroom. They declined.

I don't know what I would have done. Alaska?... first time there? ...hard to say.

How is my point "moot"? If I book a particular cabin, they can ask all they want, but I'm not giving it to them. Oversold means they oversold guarantee (even if someone doesn't want to believe it). You can't oversell assigned cabins. While they can overbook the ship apparently via guarantees, they can't sell the same cabin twice for a cruise.

BTW, reading the link to the previous thread, the person contacted had booked a guarantee and that's why they were contacted. So, I stand by my statement.

Well I guess I won't have to fight you for guarantee cabin. :D

I´m going on a B2B on AOS in March, staying in a suite, and RCL phoned me 3 weeks ago and said they had made a mistake booking me into the suite on my first leg. Someone else had booked that cabin and could not understand how it was assigned to me.They offered me JS with a reduced price and $100 OBC. I declined since I had this cabin booked since the end of July 2012, (had upgraded from a JS) and told them to check again.

They phoned me back 1 hour later. It turned out that "my" cabin had been assigned to someone else in September and that they had made a mistake. They were sorry and I could keep the suite, and gave me $50 OBC for my "troubles":)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cello56

This happened to us last April on Freedom of the Seas. They called us about a week or two before and asked if we would switch to Allure of the Seas instead since they overbooked Freedom. They were calling literally dozens of Florida residents who were within driving distance of Ft. Lauderdale. There was no upgrade as far as cabin type, and no OBC. We took the offer mostly because the girl calling seemed so desperate. In hind sight I should have asked for some OBC since it cost us a lot more in gas, plus an extra day of dog sitting ($80).

Due to the higher price of cruise on Allure, she likely felt she was giving you compensation.

Actually, the cost on Freedom that particular week was pretty much the exact same as Allure!

Someone on our Roll Call for our Mariner of the Seas cruise leaving tomorrow Feb 17th from Galveston got called with an offer to cancel for a later cruise and get a cabin upgrade and $200 OBC on their next cruise because our cruise is "overbooked" They turned it down. Has this happened to you? What happens if no one accepts the offer?

Back in 1986, we were booked on Sun Viking for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.

We were contacted thru Travel Agent and offered a 10 day cruise, cabin upgrade on the Nordic Prince. We took the deal. The Nordic Prince sailing was 2/3rds full, and we were sold on cruise vacations from that point on. :)Tom

Friends of ours (parents) were booked on Princess for an Alaska cruise. They were in a balcony cabin and they were asked if they would switch to an interior with a lot of onboard credit for their sailing and offered an additional free cruise in a balcony stateroom. They declined.

I don't know what I would have done. Alaska?... first time there? ...hard to say.

I would have taken that in a heart beat!!!

My first cruise back in 1998 was a company sales awards trip. It was supposed to be in OVs on a four day cruise on another Royal ship, but there was some sort of issue with that cruise/booking. Royal asked the company to switch dates and upgraded us all to a seven day on the Monarch in Junior Suites. Then Delta cancelled our flight and upgraded us to first class on 3 out of 4 legs of our journey to San Juan. Talked about being spoiled!

Like others, I have heard of this (dubbed as "move over" offers) on Princess. It is very standard for them. I rarely hear of it on RCI. It seems to only happen occasionally.

I would agree most likely oversold as a result of guarantee bookings. There are many cancellations that occur just before cruising so I imagine it is a gamble and they include in their pricing the need to do these move over offers.

I suspect most of the time the find someone to take the offer. In very rare, extreme cases, do they have to cancel a booking for being oversold.

If I lived close to port, I would likely take one of these offers. Living in Missouri, I obviously have to fly to most ports...or a very long drive to NOLA or Galveston where I have likely pre-booked other arrangements that would be a loss to reschedule.

Archived