Carnival

jrm116

I believe, based on my experience with redundant systems in the architectural field (completely writing this as pure speculation though) that dual systems should operate independently of each other so that they do not share space at any point: separate machine rooms, separate conduit, individual wiring, etc. It is very expensive and requires a lot more space.

Really ... the thousand and one other threads speaking of Carnival and of the Triumph had not given you the info you are seeking, so you create yet another thread ....

Are you a mod or host? If not just report the thread if it offends you so much. You didn't have to click on it you know.

Of course...if you want facts and/or logic, you might read this

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5201

only 4 ships currently have the full "redundant/return to port" features that are required of ships that began to be built in July 2010

Breeze has it

NCL Breakway....and 2 MSC Ships..MSC is able to add this to their other 2 new builds (their whole fleet is extremely new)

and it is apparently not required and too expensive to retrofit

so there you have it

go on Breeze...they are designed with 2 systems...if one fails, the other kicks in...the idea is to be able to do a "safe return to port" with no tugs,

1/2 speed....the backup system should bring peace of mind

Other new ships that come into service will have this from now on

Best answer in thread.

Voyager of the Seas was stranded in New Caledonia for two days a week or so ago... Redundant system?

For all those citing incidents on other cruise lines...

PLEASE CITE SOME INSTANCE THAT WAS AS HORRIBLE AS THE TRIUMPH AND COSTA CONCOORDIA!

In 2010 NCL had propulsion issues on several ships. Now it's CCL's turn. I believe as ships age these things are bound to happen because maintenance probably isn't as great as it could be. Same thing with airlines, cancelled and delayed flights happen all the time. You can't not live your life because something bad might happen.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

PLEASE CITE SOME INSTANCE THAT WAS AS HORRIBLE AS THE TRIUMPH AND COSTA CONCOORDIA!

I can't believe you would even think these are on the same calibur. No one died or had a major injury on the Triumph.

2008 passenger overboard incident

On May 11, 2008, a 46-year-old female passenger of Norwegian Dawn fell over the railing into the Atlantic Ocean about 45 miles (72 km) northeast of Atlantic City during a cruise from New York to Bermuda. Foul weather that night and early morning forced the coast guard to stop in their search for the woman.[/url]

2009 Power outage incident

On November 27, 2009, Norwegian Dawn lost all power while returning to Miami. United States Coast Guard ships and helicopters were dispatched to the scene to assist. During the power outage, the more than 2,000 passengers on the ship had no access to running water, electricity, air conditioning or toilet services in the hot Caribbean environment. The temperatures in the area at the time were around 85 °F (29.4 °C) with 67% relative humidity. At least some power was restored and the ship was able to make port in San Juan, PR, not Miami as the itinerary dictated, to allow repairs to be made.

2010 Engine Incident

On August 27, 2010, Norwegian Dawn experienced engine problems. NCL gave all passengers $50.00 back from their port charges, as they had to leave Bermuda early to return to New York at a slower speed.

Where did you find this info? Not trying to start an argument, but looking for ways to research prior mechanical incidents on a given ship (on any line). Thanks.

Where did you find this info? Not trying to start an argument, but looking for ways to research prior mechanical incidents on a given ship (on any line). Thanks.

There are methods to bury information on the Internet regarding incidents experienced by the Dawn and other ships so the best way is to type the name of the ship plus "wiki" in the search function and you will get the Wikipedia page on that particular ship.

"As horrible" is a relative term so you may not consider these "as horrible" but all of the following included deaths and / or injuries:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11975460/

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/09/15/norway.cruise.fire/index.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/04/02/cruise-ship-day2.html

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/02/2013210174620941891.html

I can't believe you would even think these are on the same calibur. No one died or had a major injury on the Triumph.

Who said these were of the same caliber? Not I! Of course, the Concordia tragedy was worse than the Triumph. No one disputes that. But both of these ships are owned by Carnival.

I simply asked for examples that approached what happened on these two Carnival ships. Still waiting to hear for examples from NCL and RCCL.

Who said these were of the same caliber? Not I! Of course, the Concordia tragedy was worse than the Triumph. No one disputes that. But both of these ships are owned by Carnival.

I simply asked for examples that approached what happened on these two Carnival ships. Still waiting to hear for examples from NCL and RCCL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37187326&postcount=36

I guess luck is what counts when you are only a couple hours away from port

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Grandeur_of_the_Seas#Power_loss

to the OP: do whatever you want for the reasons you want. At 24 ships averaging 2500 pax every week thats over 3 million passengers per year. I don't think the fact that you are thinking of jumping ship will even make a ripple in that big pond.

and, I'll say it again. If someone really thinks Carnival sailed a 500 million dollar boat KNOWING that it was going to have an incident and would possibly sink, than I'd really wonder what that person's decision making capabilities really are since common sense doesn't seem to factor into their equations.

The problem with your reasoning is that this poster is not the only one thinking of leaving carnival. I have been reading many posts where carnival cruisers stated that they intend to leave. The incident on this ship was listed as part of the reason, but not the only reason. People are fed up with carnival's deterioration of food, entertainment, and service. I realize that many of you cheerleaders will stay with carnival, and you should know that the powers that be at carnival are laughing all the way to the bank. They aren't laughing with you, they're laughing at you! If you are content to be the butt of the joke, keep defending carnival!

In regard to your statement about no major injury, do you consider illness in this too? We have yet to hear how many of these passengers will come down with e-coli related sickness, which can be deadly to the elderly, the young, and to anyone whos immune system is compromised!

Best post on this thread. 4 different lines, death, injury, "loss of enjoyment of life" hahaha. These have it all.

Oy Vay! :rolleyes:

I want to take a cruise on Carnival, but now I am skeptical. They had the Splendor break, the Italy boat sink (wasn't CCL, but from what I understand, its the same co.), and the Triumph.

I'm thinking about moving away from Carnival and doing someone else. I feel like they have been having all these problems. Am I overreacting or not? Did they just mis calculate or do they really screw things up really often?

To give some credit, poster yogimax waving his RCL pompoms mentioned that their ships have redundancy and he is correct.

There are a number of cruise lines out there offering poor service, food, entertainment and just about everything so when you think about it, RCL's poor quality actually is redundant

Archived