What is it like staying onboard on port days?

charlie52

I agree! Although I am always amazed at what I call the "strollers" who know the crew is ready to roll up the gangway and yet they nonchalantly stroll onto the ship as if the whole world has to stop for them!

there is actually an etiquette to it - cheer the runners, boo the walkers, and as to the "strollers or saunterers" - well "two dozen of the best" is too good for them.

My next cruise is very port intensive - 13 nights with just one day at sea. DH and I plan to stay on board on two port days and on one or two other days will be off the ship around 11am and back on at 1-2pm. It will be my first staying on board in port but I'm really looking forward to less crowds, maybe a discount spa treatment, and just relaxing by the pool.

Monica

Our first cruise (on another line) to Panama Canal DH and I were traveling with seven other people, and in two Central American countries we opted to stay on the ship in port. We slept in, watched a movie, worked out, read a book, lounged in the Solarium and met some new people onboard. Our traveling companions ridiculed us for not getting off in those ports, but we had unrushed, peaceful, pleasant days onboard. It's nice to avoid the chaos once in a while.

In ports we've been to numerous times, we still find the opportunity to hit the beach for awhile too strong to resist. We usually leave early, go to the beach for a few hours and get back to the ship for a late lunch by 2 PM. The ship is still quiet with plenty of room by the pool for a nice relaxing stretch.

We are booked on a two week NYE cruise to celebrate our anniversary later this year. We have just discovered some free time in April to get some down time and the best bang for our $$ seems to be a cruise. The issue is that we prefer to cruise on X but the only cruise available goes to the same ports we have been too several times and will return to the end of the year..

The last time we decided to remain on ship was on QM2 berthed at Sokhna on the Red Sea for trips to The Pyramids. It was a long journey and as we had been before and had a memorable day we decided to relax on board as to go again would not beat the first. There was no town to explore, the port is purely for tours and a container traffic. The coaches had cleared the port and no sooner had we relaxed than there was a sandstorm and we had to retreat inside. We still found plenty to do, just not what we planned.

I love staying on the ship while at ports I've been to a number of times. I have no problem getting a seat in the buffet for breakfast or lunch. Never had a problem finding a lounge near the pool. Don't feel guilty taking a nap. It is quiet and relaxing. If I ever get bored, I know I can get off the ship and walk around and then come back to the quiet.

• 2 years later...
No one has mentioned my favorite port activity - watching the pier runners!

About 30 minutes before sailing time, get a large cocktail and find a place with a good view of the gangway and watch the hilarity ensue!

Hahahahaha! Will be SURE to do this. And, yes, I'll let the younger members of my group deal with the crowds, alcohol headaches, hot sun and last-minute-rush while I enjoy the view!

One of my minor life goals is to cruise enough that I can have been to some ports enough that I feel comfortable staying behind. I haven't been to any 1 port more than 2x, so I still feel like I need to take advantage of the exotic locations. But what everyone's said about how fantastic port days are (especially the spa specials and not as many people) often makes me wish I were on the ship...

Our next cruise, South Pacific, is all new ports for us which we will probably never visit again owing to the distance involved.

We are really looking forward to it but I am really going to miss my quiet 'empty ship' day(s) which we normally manage on Med and Caribbean cruises!

We also love watching the 'late returners' scrambling back to port late. Best memory was in Muscat seeing a couple legging it towards the boat carrying two very large straw stuffed camels whose necks got limper and more sagging as they ran towards the gang plank! Often wondered how they got them home....

We love staying onboard on port days as others have said its like having the ship booked out for a private gathering with no queues anywhere and you can pick whatever sun lounger you want and get a table at the Buffet without hunting... [emoji4]

For us the cruise is all about relaxing & the ship... And a cheeky cocktail or 3 [emoji483][emoji41]

Great idea to relax and chill out!

We always pick one port day to stay on board....usually a tender port or a non favorite or much repeated port.

It is so nice after the majority of cruisers get off the ship...time to enjoy the spa (@ port special prices), solarium, outdoor areas, Cafe Baccio....

We also take at least one night off from dinner (lite bites at the buffet) and onboard activities....time to relax!

It's your holiday, and if it suits the two of you, why not. In seven cruises we've never stayed on board, but having seen Cozumel enough times, unless there's a really great shore excursion, I might give it a pass or, at best, walk around the immediate ship area. If it's a new port, I'll always want to see it.

Ditto to all the above! The first time we did it we felt a little silly wondering what people would think. But we soon realised its OUR holiday and OUR choice and we do it every cruise now (as most of the ports we've been to before at least once). We have had table mates and even crew look at us as if we were daft for not going ashore, but honestly, it's so relaxing. Sleep late, wander round, something to eat, swim, read a book, nap, few cocktails (obviously!), love it! We always book cruises for the ship rather than itinerary. The cruise we are going on in 2 weeks has 7 sea days out of 14 and they are honestly our favourite, love exploring the ship and staing onboard! :)

Ditto to all the above! The first time we did it we felt a little silly wondering what people would think. But we soon realised its OUR holiday and OUR choice and we do it every cruise now (as most of the ports we've been to before at least once). We have had table mates and even crew look at us as if we were daft for not going ashore, but honestly, it's so relaxing. Sleep late, wander round, something to eat, swim, read a book, nap, few cocktails (obviously!), love it! We always book cruises for the ship rather than itinerary. The cruise we are going on in 2 weeks has 7 sea days out of 14 and they are honestly our favourite, love exploring the ship and staing onboard! :)

I agree. We often do B2B cruises. On the turn around day, the ship is nearly deserted. Even the a good many crew members get off the ship in the morning for a bit. We stay on and basically have the ship to ourselves until 1PM or so.

Last Nov we just could not find a tour in Columbia that excited us, so we stayed on board, it was great! We got to maintain our heart rate durning a jog before heading to the gym. Then had no problem getting a lounger in the Persian Garden.

image.jpg.8c10d458a05a97fb6f4d014052944243.jpg

We stayed on the ship in Cozumel on our last cruise, it was very nice - I've been there, done that. Our next cruise has a stop at Coco Cay, which we'll probably stay on the ship for. I don't like tender ports, and I don't see a lot of difference between a private island or a private ship, except the food & bar service on the ship are much better. :)

We stayed on the ship in Cozumel on our last cruise, it was very nice - I've been there, done that. Our next cruise has a stop at Coco Cay, which we'll probably stay on the ship for. I don't like tender ports, and I don't see a lot of difference between a private island or a private ship, except the food & bar service on the ship are much better. :)

Our first time at CoCo was in 1987 :eek: Our last time there was in 2007.

If you have never gone, you are missing a wonderful day. Much better than Princess Cay. And the bar service is as it is on the ship.

About 30 minutes before sailing time, get a large cocktail and find a place with a good view of the gangway and watch the hilarity ensue!

:D That's golden advice alexspepa, I will be doing that for sure! Any traveller worth their salt will have a "remember-the-time-we-nearly-missed-the-sailing/flight/bus" story!

We do like to pop along from time to time in the hope for runners [emoji23]