What is it like staying onboard on port days?

charlie52

Exactly what we are doing on Silhouette this fall. Been there, done that to each port so we are doing a "Spa at Sea" week. Gym time, spa services, pool, sauna, relaxation before the holidays. Cheaper than an actual week at a land spa and much better accommodations. Next cruise however, 3 ports we have not been to so off the ship we go!

Not so NCL still has an around Hawaii cruise. It has been cut back to one ship, The Spirit of America, but it still goes out weekly.

Yes, that's correct. I should have noted that NCL used to have three US flagged ships. All had US maritime union crews. All but one was reflagged. The point remains that the Jones Act requires either US flagged ships or a stop at a distant foreign port. BTW, this provision of the Jones Act was intended to increase US maritime union employment.

So last December we took the 14 day Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse (we take this cruise every year). As I recall that itinerary had 9 ports. DW and i have our favorite beaches on every island and normally just use public transit (or perhaps a taxi) to get to "our beach" which is normally chosen because there will be few (or any) other cruisers and often it is a beach from which we can snorkel. But the morning we reached our first island, DW was not feeling well so we decided to stay aboard. We had a fantastic day (DW perked-up by lunch) and enjoyed ourselves so much that we decided to skip all the ports and just stay aboard for the entire 14 days. We did make a 30 min exception in St Maarten since we ran to one of the booze shops inside the port to pick-up some adult beverages.

What a joy being on an empty S-Class ship (there actually are a few others that also stayed aboard). We could choose any deck chair we pleased, it was quiet, no lines at the bar, the grill, etc. And for some wonderful reason they did not blast the usual music over the speakers so I could actually enjoy my own music :). Going on that same cruise next month and DW and I are again considering staying aboard in some or all ports.

Hank

We like staying on board on port days. On our March cruise we will only get off at 3 or 4 ports, unless it is to just walk & stretch our legs in the morning. On our December B2B, except for Key West, it will be the same, just disembark to walk a bit then right back on board. We just did a 2 week Canada/New England cruise which was the 1st time there, and even then planned no excursions on 2 port days.

So last December we took the 14 day Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse (we take this cruise every year). As I recall that itinerary had 9 ports. DW and i have our favorite beaches on every island and normally just use public transit (or perhaps a taxi) to get to "our beach" which is normally chosen because there will be few (or any) other cruisers and often it is a beach from which we can snorkel. But the morning we reached our first island, DW was not feeling well so we decided to stay aboard. We had a fantastic day (DW perked-up by lunch) and enjoyed ourselves so much that we decided to skip all the ports and just stay aboard for the entire 14 days. We did make a 30 min exception in St Maarten since we ran to one of the booze shops inside the port to pick-up some adult beverages.

What a joy being on an empty S-Class ship (there actually are a few others that also stayed aboard). We could choose any deck chair we pleased, it was quiet, no lines at the bar, the grill, etc. And for some wonderful reason they did not blast the usual music over the speakers so I could actually enjoy my own music :). Going on that same cruise next month and DW and I are again considering staying aboard in some or all ports.

Hank

How were you able to get onboard past security with alcohol?

Well, there's a two day Norwegian Breakaway Cruise leaving New York City on February 12 and returning to NYC on the 14th, with no stops. Isn't that a "cruise to nowhere"?

They used to have cruises to nowhere but the feds have determined that those are a violation of federal law. Some refer to that law as the Jones Act. This Act prohibits transferring cargo/passengers in a ship between two US ports unless the ship is US flagged or it must have an intervening stop at a "distant" foreign port. Of course, if the ship is US flagged then it must be staffed with members of the US Maritime Unions. Norwegian, IIRC, tried that around Hawaii but had to stop the practice of US flagging due to customer dissatisfaction with crew services.

How were you able to get onboard past security with alcohol?

Ahhh, a good question. Normally it is a non-issue since you simply turn over your booze (there is a table near where you enter the ship) and its held to the last evening of the cruise when its delivered to your cabin. In fact, on St Thomas and St Maarten most of liquor stores will deliver the booze to the ship for those who do not want to carry the stuff where it is held until the last night of the cruise. When you go through the X-Ray and they see the booze you will told to drop it at the nearby "booze table" where they label the packages (with your name and cabin number) and give you a receipt.

But last year, we were carrying our own booze (packed in boxes) and when we boarded the ship the "booze desk" was unstaffed (might have been his break time) so we actually took our Cognac directly to our cabin.

Hank

We are booked on a two week NYE cruise to celebrate our anniversary later this year. We have just discovered some free time in April to get some down time and the best bang for our $$ seems to be a cruise. The issue is that we prefer to cruise on X but the only cruise available goes to the same ports we have been too several times and will return to the end of the year. I am thinking that since we are just looking to get away and relax perhaps this isn't such a big deal and that we could just enjoy the pool alone on the port days. This is something we have never done. (Honestly, I am not sure that we could do it as snorkeling would be calling our name) What I would love to hear are some experiences of being onboard while most of the passengers are out on excursions. Thanks in advance for helping us make a decision...

It is HEAVEN!! You have the ship to yourself. Enjoy!

We are booked on a two week NYE cruise to celebrate our anniversary later this year. We have just discovered some free time in April to get some down time and the best bang for our $$ seems to be a cruise. The issue is that we prefer to cruise on X but the only cruise available goes to the same ports we have been too several times and will return to the end of the year. I am thinking that since we are just looking to get away and relax perhaps this isn't such a big deal and that we could just enjoy the pool alone on the port days. This is something we have never done. (Honestly, I am not sure that we could do it as snorkeling would be calling our name) What I would love to hear are some experiences of being onboard while most of the passengers are out on excursions. Thanks in advance for helping us make a decision...

Depending on the average age of the pax will likely determine how many stay on board. If it's an older group most have likely seen the islands & many will stay on board. If it appears to be a younger & new to cruising group you'll likely have most of the ship to yourself.

Ahhh, a good question. Normally it is a non-issue since you simply turn over your booze (there is a table near where you enter the ship) and its held to the last evening of the cruise when its delivered to your cabin. In fact, on St Thomas and St Maarten most of liquor stores will deliver the booze to the ship for those who do not want to carry the stuff where it is held until the last night of the cruise. When you go through the X-Ray and they see the booze you will told to drop it at the nearby "booze table" where they label the packages (with your name and cabin number) and give you a receipt.

But last year, we were carrying our own booze (packed in boxes) and when we boarded the ship the "booze desk" was unstaffed (might have been his break time) so we actually took our Cognac directly to our cabin.

Hank

Funny. We've never had an issue getting booze to our cabin either on Celebrity or Cunard. It's usually only a bottle or 2.

Just look at staying aboard as a "Ship Excursion". And, it is complimentary.

Having cruised often, I have opted to stay on the ship while the ship is in a port. The ship is quiet. No crowds, no noise, less activities, more relaxation.....all very nice. The MDR is closed. I love being on the ship and just relaxing. It is a perfect time to book a spa treatment which is often reduced in price.

After many cruises to the carribbean and to the same islands, I, too, am someone who loves to stay on board:D.

Please let's keep the joys of staying on board a little bit hush:rolleyes: After all we don't want everyone else to catch on and stay on board:) Then it will get crowded.:eek:

After many cruises to the carribbean and to the same islands, I, too, am someone who loves to stay on board:D.

Please let's keep the joys of staying on board a little bit hush:rolleyes: After all we don't want everyone else to catch on and stay on board:) Then it will get crowded.:eek:

It's really not too bad staying on board on port days depending of course on what work detail you're assigned. I hate being detailed to the paint crew.

Our nephew is on the POA this week for honeymoon, plus Maui...

Friends took the same trip but said it could not compare favorably to Celebrity....but I bet the honeymooners will love it...!

Some folks did get to stay overnight on cocoa cay due to bad weather and seas, as I recall... (unplanned) we did our snorkeling, beach bbq and got back on the last tender that they let go back to the ship...the others had to overnight there...very rustic!

We stay on board at almost all tender ports plus some ports we dislike.....

SpiritAmerica_zps44qofmnv.jpg

Pride of America off Ala Moana Beach Park Oct 17, 2015 7:30 PM HST.

Edited by rockfsh

After having visited the lion's share of ports, many several times, we find that hanging out on the ship when in port can be some of the most relaxing days of the trip. Can be like having our own private resort while everyone else is off and about. As far as we have found the sun is pretty much the same on the ship as it is on the islands. We realize that sitting on the pool deck may not be quite as scenic as some of the local beaches, but then it isn't costing extra for us to enjoy, like pretty much everything ashore will. Plus depending on the stop and the number of other ships that are there the same day the port city as well as popular excursion destinations can be extremely crowded. We check the actual port days ship census in advance before we sail to plan around those kind of crowds. If the port is one where transportation is going to be required in order to be able to experience the local vibe and there are several other large ships besides our stopping there too then we are more likely to plan on staying on board unless there is some really very compelling attraction that we don't want to miss.

Absolutely love staying on board port days. Ship is much less crowded, lots of room at the pool and deals at the spa! What a way to vacation!

Diane

Hi Diane,

I just saw your post and wanted to see how you are doing. Please send me an email at cruiztime at yahoo dot come. I would love vie to catch up.

I agree with Diane. When the crowd leaves the ship I feel as though it's my own private yacht. Very peaceful and comfortable. Give it a try since you have been to the ports before. It will be a new cruise experience for you and I think you will love it.

Marion