What is it like staying onboard on port days?

charlie52

Our first time at CoCo was in 1987 :eek: Our last time there was in 2007.

If you have never gone, you are missing a wonderful day. Much better than Princess Cay. And the bar service is as it is on the ship

Last cruise went to Labadee, which was wonderful. We had a cabana with a group of friends, and had a fantastic day. But hubby isn't much of a beach person. We won't get a cabana for just the two of us.

Having a nice, quiet day on the ship sounds pretty great to us.

We are booked on a two week NYE cruise to celebrate our anniversary later this year. We have just discovered some free time in April to get some down time and the best bang for our $$ seems to be a cruise. The issue is that we prefer to cruise on X but the only cruise available goes to the same ports we have been too several times and will return to the end of the year. I am thinking that since we are just looking to get away and relax perhaps this isn't such a big deal and that we could just enjoy the pool alone on the port days. This is something we have never done. (Honestly, I am not sure that we could do it as snorkeling would be calling our name) What I would love to hear are some experiences of being onboard while most of the passengers are out on excursions. Thanks in advance for helping us make a decision...

When we first started cruising I couldn't imagine not getting off the ship in a port. Now, I cherish the visits to Nassau and Cozumel as we nearly never get off the ship in these ports anymore. We have the pool and bars all to ourselves....and a few other guests. It is really a nice relaxing day. It's not very often you get the ship pools and other amenities to yourself for a day. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll have a great day.

Now listen everyone... Don't bother trying it... It's boring and there's nothing to do! And whatever you do don't try it on the 5th of March reflection cruise port of San Juan!! [emoji12]

One of the best days we had on a cruise was on an overnight stay in Egypt. Almost all of the ship took overnight tours to Cairo and stayed in hotels there. As we had previously visited Cairo, we decided not to do so again.That evening we were the only one of only a handful of diners in the MDR. Excellent service and some off-menu items the cook prepared for us. Needless to say, the rest of the ship's venues were equally deserted.

Edited by DavyJoneses

On our last cruise, after 6 days TA and 8 more days touring Western Europe, our last ship day was in Gothenburg. After 2 weeks of marginal to rainy weather, we decided to stay on board an see what the weather decks looked like. Had a great uninterrupted stroll on a bright sunny day.

We have done both, taken excursions, walked on shore and stayed on the ship. Love staying on the ship.

Last cruise we met a gentleman who does not get off the ship at all. He loves it. So…..different strokes for different folks. That is what we love about cruising you can do "lots for do nothing"

We are booked on a two week NYE cruise to celebrate our anniversary later this year. We have just discovered some free time in April to get some down time and the best bang for our $$ seems to be a cruise. The issue is that we prefer to cruise on X but the only cruise available goes to the same ports we have been too several times and will return to the end of the year. I am thinking that since we are just looking to get away and relax perhaps this isn't such a big deal and that we could just enjoy the pool alone on the port days. This is something we have never done. (Honestly, I am not sure that we could do it as snorkeling would be calling our name) What I would love to hear are some experiences of being onboard while most of the passengers are out on excursions. Thanks in advance for helping us make a decision...

Look at a port day as a wonderful opportunity to do a ship rather than a shore excursion. More relaxing, more restful, and certainly cheaper.

If we go ashore which is seldom, we may only go as far as to buy some tshirts for the grandkids.

I have taken at least 3 cruises where I never got off the ship until diembarkation day. Depends on the itinerary of course, but somtimes we just book to cruise not tour.

Me, too. When I cross that gangplank to embark, I'm where I want to be until it's time to get kicked off. Unless, of course, I am on a sailing to destinations I have yet to visit. There are still a few on the old bucket list...all in good time.;)

Needless to say, I love me my Transatlantics! Sea days rule.

We were also trying to keep this "secret"!

The port days are a great chance to enjoy the pool without a crowd

on Carib cruises. Also the winds at sea are minimized which is a positive.

On our next cruise in Jan we will probably only get off at the private island.

If we get a little stir crazy and the port is not tendered sometimes we walk around for a bit and are back on the ship by lunch. The drink package makes staying on board even better. Frankly I always wondered why a line did not have a cruise to 'nowhere' ie a bunch of sea days and maybe a day or two at a private island.

We were also trying to keep this "secret"!

The port days are a great chance to enjoy the pool without a crowd

on Carib cruises. Also the winds at sea are minimized which is a positive.

On our next cruise in Jan we will probably only get off at the private island.

If we get a little stir crazy and the port is not tendered sometimes we walk around for a bit and are back on the ship by lunch. The drink package makes staying on board even better. Frankly I always wondered why a line did not have a cruise to 'nowhere' ie a bunch of sea days and maybe a day or two at a private island.

They used to have cruises to nowhere but the feds have determined that those are a violation of federal law. Some refer to that law as the Jones Act. This Act prohibits transferring cargo/passengers in a ship between two US ports unless the ship is US flagged or it must have an intervening stop at a "distant" foreign port. Of course, if the ship is US flagged then it must be staffed with members of the US Maritime Unions. Norwegian, IIRC, tried that around Hawaii but had to stop the practice of US flagging due to customer dissatisfaction with crew services.

They used to have cruises to nowhere but the feds have determined that those are a violation of federal law. Some refer to that law as the Jones Act. This Act prohibits transferring cargo/passengers in a ship between two US ports unless the ship is US flagged or it must have an intervening stop at a "distant" foreign port. Of course, if the ship is US flagged then it must be staffed with members of the US Maritime Unions. Norwegian, IIRC, tried that around Hawaii but had to stop the practice of US flagging due to customer dissatisfaction with crew services.

That is very interesting and thank you for sharing. Imagine that they could go to the private island and make a stop. I would vote for a 7 night cruise- anchor off a private island for a few days- and let passengers on and off sunup to sundown. Maybe let people sleep on the beach if they wanted. You could have a high end dinner on the beach at sunset and charge a fortune (I would pay).

Anyway happy enough to be 'stuck' on the Reflection for a week with a drink package and OBC.

That is very interesting and thank you for sharing. Imagine that they could go to the private island and make a stop. I would vote for a 7 night cruise- anchor off a private island for a few days- and let passengers on and off sunup to sundown. Maybe let people sleep on the beach if they wanted. You could have a high end dinner on the beach at sunset and charge a fortune (I would pay).

Anyway happy enough to be 'stuck' on the Reflection for a week with a drink package and OBC.

Something like that would be appealing to the wife and I but I'm sure others would find that boring.

Wife and I have mixed emotions about port days. We rarely go ashore and if we do, we seldom venture far from the ship. We cruise to enjoy the ship. We do like port days because it is much easier to enjoy the ship when everyone is off playing with the dolphins or something or other.

It's a fact, most of the cruise ships go to the same ports. So, if you've done a lot of cruising, you'll wind up at the ports that you've been to before. So we love it when people get off the ship, pool's not crowded, same for the gym, restaurants, etc. great time to relax!

That last Celebrity cruise we took my wife and I stayed on board in 2 ports. One port day was supposed to be spent lounging in the alcoves, but it didn't quite work out for us.... (VERY bad customer service by Celebrity unfortunately.) So we ended up by the pool after we got our money refunded.

It was, thankfully, quiet.

Not so NCL still has an around Hawaii cruise. It has been cut back to one ship, The Spirit of America, but it still goes out weekly.

What? You mean when american passengers tip american crew members it didnt result in excellent service? That really cant be true!

Not so NCL still has an around Hawaii cruise. It has been cut back to one ship, The Spirit of America, but it still goes out weekly.

Indeed, the Pride of America is the only US flagged ship from NCL, registered in Honolulu. Don't know if the crew is American though.:)

Our nephew is on the POA this week for honeymoon, plus Maui...

Friends took the same trip but said it could not compare favorably to Celebrity....but I bet the honeymooners will love it...!

Some folks did get to stay overnight on cocoa cay due to bad weather and seas, as I recall... (unplanned) we did our snorkeling, beach bbq and got back on the last tender that they let go back to the ship...the others had to overnight there...very rustic!

We stay on board at almost all tender ports plus some ports we dislike.....

Our very first Celebrity cruise in 2002 was a 10 night SouthernCaribbean cruise on Millennium. We went to St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

During open seating breakfast one day we sat with a couple who had not gotten off the ship at all. We were amazed. The said they might get off on our last port.

Fast forward 13 years and now we understand why they didn't get off the ship, it's so nice to have the pool, Thallosotherapy pool, and other areas all to yourself.

Last winter we made a stop in Cozumel along with 6 other ships and 21,000 of our close friends. Having been there 3 times already, we opted to stay on the ship. It was wonderful. No crowds, no lines, lots of chairs and great service from the crew. I would do it again, particularly if a small city of friends arrived in port at the same time.

Frankly I always wondered why a line did not have a cruise to 'nowhere' ie a bunch of sea days and maybe a day or two at a private island.

We have cruises to nowhere here.

Unfortunately they turn out to be heavy party cruises, which is understandable.