Yachtsman's Caribbean and Flavors of the Caribbean Review: 19Jan-02Feb 2013

Love.II.Cruise

In Room Dining: All Day and Night

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

All sandwiches are served with potato chips and coleslaw. NOTE: If there was a sandwich posted on the Yacht Club menu on the chalk board NOT listed on the above menu - you can get it for in room dining (we did).

IMG_2608.JPG

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Thanks for your wonderful review. Just curious which itenary you preferred. We are doing another Windstar next year and have been looking. We sailed the Spirit before on a similar itenary as the Yachtmen's. We are taking friends with for their first cruise with WS. I am seriously leaning toward the same again. This time would be on Windsurf.

Thanks for your wonderful review. Just curious which itenary you preferred. We are doing another Windstar next year and have been looking. We sailed the Spirit before on a similar itenary as the Yachtmen's. We are taking friends with for their first cruise with WS. I am seriously leaning toward the same again. This time would be on Windsurf.

Oh my, that is a tough question! We loved the excursion options on the first cruise, but we loved Dominica - a true rain forest in the Caribbean.

Honestly, we would do both cruises again as a B2B. We rarely do 7 day cruises - they are just too short to us (exception was Alaska due to our time constraint issues - next time we will do a longer cruise or do a b2b in Alaska). It was great being able to do a B2B on Windstar and do different itineraries.

Dominica was the only stop that was swaying me!!! We just spent 10 days on St John, with a visit to Jost. We just love that area. Time will tell, going to let the friends pick! Thanks.

Easier said than done... talk them into both! ;) That way they pay for the airfare only once.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Love, it seems I'm thanking you every day, but once again, please know how much we future cruisers appreciate the time you've taken for us! Love the menus, pictures are just fine, no need to do anything more complicated and time consuming. 6 weeks to go for us, your review has helped us get more and more excited.

Love, it seems I'm thanking you every day, but once again, please know how much we future cruisers appreciate the time you've taken for us! Love the menus, pictures are just fine, no need to do anything more complicated and time consuming. 6 weeks to go for us, your review has helped us get more and more excited.

I promise I'll do the menu's for you (and other cruisers)... but it may not be until the weekend. ;)

One of my biggest complaints about the Yacht Club sandwiches was that they were pre-made with the condiments on them. There wasn't a single sandwich on their menu I could eat (we had a different menu), however if they had offered the condiments (pesto, walnut vinagrette, etc.) on the side, I could have just not used them and been fine.

Oh my goodness, what a treat to read through these! I definitely feel better, plenty of choice on every menu, we won't have any problem findings things we like. I wasn't quite sure what to expect on a smaller ship but these are at least as elaborate as a larger cruise ship's menus. I do have a couple of questions, however. Will the waitstaff bring another portion if requested, or a small portion of something (perhaps a risotto) in addition? We have loved the chance to try things we might not otherwise order on our other cruises. Is it easy to request a substitution, such as mashed potato instead of baked? Is there a sommelier in the dining rooms, or a drink waiter, or does the regular waitstaff handle this? Are they knowledgeable about wine? And finally, is there iced coffee or cappuccino available at the coffee bar or anywhere else? Once again, many thanks for taking the time to do all this for us, there hasn't been as much info here on the Windstar boards as I'm used to on the other boards, due to the smaller ships with fewer passengers.

Oh my goodness, what a treat to read through these! I definitely feel better, plenty of choice on every menu, we won't have any problem findings things we like. I wasn't quite sure what to expect on a smaller ship but these are at least as elaborate as a larger cruise ship's menus. I do have a couple of questions, however. Will the waitstaff bring another portion if requested, or a small portion of something (perhaps a risotto) in addition?

On several occasions we ordered a small appetizer portion of the entree pasta dishes and risotto one night. I'm sure if you asked for an extra portion of a dish they would bring one. We found the dishes to be good size and as a result didn't order dessert very often because we were full - which the waitstaff originally found to be weird that we wouldn't order dessert, but they eventually got used to it. ;)

We have loved the chance to try things we might not otherwise order on our other cruises. Is it easy to request a substitution, such as mashed potato instead of baked?

We did do a substitution of home fries instead of hash browns at breakfast in the morning when ordering off the the breakfast menu in Veranda. I don't think we did it at dinner, but I can't see it being an issue.

Is there a sommelier in the dining rooms, or a drink waiter, or does the regular waitstaff handle this?

The drink staff is different than the wait staff and they have different vests.

Are they knowledgeable about wine?

We rarely ordered a full bottle of wine, but I do recall a Northwest wine we really enjoyed.

And finally, is there iced coffee or cappuccino available at the coffee bar or anywhere else?

I don't recall anyone ordering iced coffee or cappuccinos but I know they have everything to make one. I do recall an espresso machine in Compass Rose too.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to do all this for us, there hasn't been as much info here on the Windstar boards as I'm used to on the other boards, due to the smaller ships with fewer passengers.

You're welcome. :)

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

On several occasions we ordered a small appetizer portion of the entree pasta dishes and risotto one night. I'm sure if you asked for an extra portion of a dish they would bring one. We found the dishes to be good size and as a result didn't order dessert very often because we were full - which the waitstaff originally found to be weird that we wouldn't order dessert, but they eventually got used to it.

The portion are "Normal" size, not the overly large portion you will find in a restaurant. If you find them on the small size they will certainly accomodate you. They aim to please.:)

This review was so wonderful, and so detailed, that we will likely change our vacation plans for next February! We were planning on a repeat Celebrity cruise out of San Juan, but were toying with Windstar. Your review and wonderful pictures gave us a real sense of what our week would be, and this is it! I've dropped in on this board from time to time but nothing has given a fuller picture of the activities, the venues, the food...and it all looks great! Thank you so much!

This review was so wonderful, and so detailed, that we will likely change our vacation plans for next February! We were planning on a repeat Celebrity cruise out of San Juan, but were toying with Windstar. Your review and wonderful pictures gave us a real sense of what our week would be, and this is it! I've dropped in on this board from time to time but nothing has given a fuller picture of the activities, the venues, the food...and it all looks great! Thank you so much!

Thank you for the wonderful compliment!