Yachtsman's Caribbean and Flavors of the Caribbean Review: 19Jan-02Feb 2013

Love.II.Cruise

Pre- Info

Usually people want to know the perspective you are talking from. This usually results in people reading more or less of the review. This trip was a romantic getaway for just the two of us. DH = Dear Husband.

We’ve taken several cruises; these trips included the following lines: Carnival (1 for me, DH never tried), Celebrity, Princess, Oceania, Regent, and Royal Caribbean.

I’ll start this review by discussing our experience in St. Maarten. If you don’t want to read that, you can easily skip to the embarkation part when I post it.

We've cruised most of the Caribbean and were looking for something different than the big cruiseships with the crowds, constant selling, etc. I have some research to do with flights out of Tampa? to St. Maarten and hope to book around July 4th for the 12/16 cruise.

Question: Do you think it is better to book Deck 1 or Deck 2? I could also get used to "sloshing", but wondering if the "view" would be better from Deck 2.

Thanks SO much.

Barbara

We've cruised most of the Caribbean and were looking for something different than the big cruiseships with the crowds, constant selling, etc. I have some research to do with flights out of Tampa? to St. Maarten and hope to book around July 4th for the 12/16 cruise.

Question: Do you think it is better to book Deck 1 or Deck 2? I could also get used to "sloshing", but wondering if the "view" would be better from Deck 2.

Thanks SO much.

Barbara

No better view unless you are cuising the North Sea, in which case the port hole on deck one might be under water. I usually book deck one because the rooms are identical but cheaper on deck one. Only time I was on deck two it was an upgrade ... No better view. We find the aft cabins most convenient to most of the ships facilities other than the dining rooms which are forward.

Did none of you on deck one hear that rolling-bowling-ball sound from somewhere "beneath?" I wouldn't book a cabin on deck one again.

Really? We have been on deck one seven times, and we never experienced a rollong bowling ball sound. Were you perhaps having bowling dreams?

Really? We have been on deck one seven times, and we never experienced a rollong bowling ball sound. Were you perhaps having bowling dreams?

LOL. I wish. I do recall your posts regarding your preference for deck one. Our experience was on the Windsurf, cabin 123. I don't know what to tell you. It didn't occur every night, & when it did occur it wasn't always constant, tho' some nights it was. My husband took an engine room tour and asked the chief engineer about it. His Russian accent suddenly got VERY thick and incomprehensible. :p

LOL. I wish. I do recall your posts regarding your preference for deck one. Our experience was on the Windsurf, cabin 123. I don't know what to tell you. It didn't occur every night, & when it did occur it wasn't always constant, tho' some nights it was. My husband took an engine room tour and asked the chief engineer about it. His Russian accent suddenly got VERY thick and incomprehensible. :p

I would suggest avoiding deck one on the Windsurf. On a recent cruise, we had stateroom #150, and our room and the entire hallway on deck one reeked of cigarette smoke. When we inquired, we were told that the crew has a smoking room on the deck below and the ventilation there "had problems." Several couples on that deck asked to be moved to other levels, and WS was able to comply.

I would suggest avoiding deck one on the Windsurf. On a recent cruise, we had stateroom #150, and our room and the entire hallway on deck one reeked of cigarette smoke. When we inquired, we were told that the crew has a smoking room on the deck below and the ventilation there "had problems." Several couples on that deck asked to be moved to other levels, and WS was able to comply.

Yes, I remember reading your post before we left on our cruise, so I was hyper-alert for cigarette smoke on deck one. We never encountered it. Of course, we were primarily walking the hallway on the starboard side of the ship and you were on the port side, so maybe that accounts for it.

Really. Actually, I think I have heard that they have a bowling alley in the smoking room. (;-) On the other had I do know a couple things. The crew often smokes outside on deck near the dining areas, and in spite of it being not allowed there are passengers who smoke in their staterooms. The smoking sensitive person was probably lucky enough to be near one of those. When I smell smoke inside, I call the desk and let them sniff it out. But, we have been relatively close in 129 and 127, and we never heard the bowling alley. When we are aboard Star Legend next week I will ask if there is an indoor smoking room for the crew. After all, there are no indoor smoking areas for the paying passengers.