First Balcony

cruzn4life

Not new to cruising, but new to splurging for the balcony - any suggestions on "must haves"? We book a gty and got mid-ship on the Caribe deck. Spring break can't get here soon enough!
You've received a GREAT cabin assignment!

The balcony is half covered and offers privacy if you want it for morning breakfast on the balcony (room service - recommended)! and great views of the ocean.

Make sure you bring sunscreen as the balcony may also be sunny.

First balcony cabin and you're on Caribe deck?! LOL! You are doomed. Good luck ever going "back" to even a normal sized balcony cabin after this :D

Congrats and enjoy it!! We were balcony cruisers for years, until we tried a suite.

We were doomed too.;)

Not a "must have", but a "must do". You'll probably sleep with your drapes at least most of the way closed. That first moment you wake up, sensing the first rays of sun seeping through your balcony door, make yourself get up and look out at the scenery. I've woke up to sunrises, a rainbow, and of course picturesque landscapes.

Though you may be tempted to just roll over and sleep some more, try my suggestion. Have your camera ready.

I'll enjoy my first Caribe balcony two weeks before you (also mid ship). I'm excited for the extra depth, and some sun light on the balcony

You've received a GREAT cabin assignment!

Make sure you bring sunscreen as the balcony may also be sunny.

+1

Now you can have your own private sailaway/arrival celebrations.

Bathrobes are a must for early morning port arrivals - they give you a very 'put together' look. Last month on the Pacific Princess, we were having breakfast out on Deck 9 aft when a Celebrity ship arrived in port, with a few guys out on their balconies in their undies - TMI. Bathrobes on those gentlemen would have definitely helped that situation! ;)

Seriously, balconies are quite addictive and you will love having one.

We always book midship Caribe balconies. Absolutely love them. You have the best of both worlds with being partly covered and open. Suggest you book the ultimate balcony dinner if you want to splurge on a really fantastic event on your balcony. Love having morning coffee on the balcony. Woke up one morning and we were in Monte Carlo surrounded by yachts. Oh my it was stunning.

The Caribe balconies are great -- they're twice the balcony size of other balconies and you have lots of room! The first half of the balcony is covered (from the balcony upstairs), the second half is open. The open part can be a bit weird since the person above you can see you. You can also see the entire balcony below you.

It's so nice to be able to sail in and out of ports with your own private view. You do take a gamble on what side of the ship you're on vs. where the interesting port views actually are, but it beats standing up on deck with tons of other people regardless, in my opinion.

Mornings and evenings are also great on the balcony. I highly recommend ordering the free room service breakfast and coffee for enjoying on the balcony. We also usually have a drink or two or glass of wine on the balcony before/after dinner.

Another nice thing I like is that if you're cruising with friends or a group and you have balconies next to each other, you have doors you can open to connect the balconies, making a nice private walkway between rooms.

I was comped a free "champagne balcony breakfast" last year and thought it was very nice but probably wouldn't pay for it.

We always book a balcony, especially in Alaska. We try to get amid ship if possible and if not then towards the aft end of the ship. We like to have a way to get outside with out a lot of other folks around.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises

Crown Princess – March 2013 Western Caribbean

Island Princess – June 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – November 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a REALLY nice touch, especially on on formal nights if you do not want to dress up.... We sign up for at least one each cruise and usually pick a sea day with formal night as the sun is setting behind us.... It really doesn't get better than that.

I am on the Caribe deck as well on a cruise with the Island Princess in April...cabin C423. It looks like we are right by the elevators. Does this mean my balcony isn't as deep? I looked and I saw that a cabin nearby, C333 looks to be open, so I might see if we can switch to that cabin.

I am on the Caribe deck as well on a cruise with the Island Princess in April...cabin C423. It looks like we are right by the elevators. Does this mean my balcony isn't as deep? I looked and I saw that a cabin nearby, C333 looks to be open, so I might see if we can switch to that cabin.

Check out this website, which shows the relative size of the balconies, whether they're covered or not, and also has photos so you'll be able to see what you've got.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id3.html

As for switching, I believe C333 is in a different cabin category than C423.

Check out this website, which shows the relative size of the balconies, whether they're covered or not, and also has photos so you'll be able to see what you've got.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id3.html

As for switching, I believe C333 is in a different cabin category than C423.

This is awesome. Has anyone done something like this for the Sapphire or any of the other ships?

We are doing our very first balcony too! We are on the Sapphire doing a CA Coastal cruise and we have B474. It is towards aft and looks a bit bigger than the "normal" baja balconies ... so excited!! :D

Do you have B747? It would be great to find photos of that balcony. Have you found any?

Archived