The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

My OH hasn't had an alcoholic drink for 12 years & I cant see that changing anytime soon.

Just wait; chair hogs, MDR bad dressers and smokers may change that!:eek:

Just kidding of course!!! Congrats to your OH! I know what you mean :)

Seriously, if you have a chat with a bartender and explain, Im sure they will be happy to accommodate you. They have to be on the look out for "sharers" on the program so are likely to watch closely at first. But once an established "routine" they will likely be ok with it. Just don't expect it :)

This has been asked but I have yet to read an answer really...

If you purchase cheers on day 2 do they charge you for day 1 and credit those drink from day 1 or do you just pay for one less day and those individual drinks that you drank on day 1?

If you purchase cheers on day 2 do they charge you for day 1 and credit those drink from day 1 or do you just pay for one less day and those individual drinks that you drank on day 1?[/quote]

Bold is correct.

You choose which day to purchase it. Day 1 or Day 2. On a 7 day cruise, you pay either 7 days or 6 days if purchased on Day 2. If purchased on Day 2 obviously any drinks you charged to your S&S card on day 1 would remain on your account and be payable by you as individual drink charges.

If you purchase cheers on day 2 do they charge you for day 1 and credit those drink from day 1 or do you just pay for one less day and those individual drinks that you drank on day 1?

If you buy it on day 2, they do not retro it back to day 1. You just pay for the remaining days.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just returned from the Splendor, and purchased Cheers on day 2. We were not charged for the first day, and our drinks from day 1 were not retro-active - we paid individually for those drinks.

We were happy with Cheers, and knew what we were getting into, but we would not purchase it again. I was all boozed out by the end of the trip and barely drank my last 2-3 days. DH did not drink much the last 2 days either, but he definitely got his money's worth from it. I was a loss. Oh well. We would not choose to purchase it again.

Here's my beef with Cheers: It is not available on HMC. We knew this when we purchased it. It was available for a while, then when they changed it, I posted to JH on FB asking about it, and he said it was too hard to account for drinks on HMC against Cheers, or some malarky like that. This is absolute horsecrap. They carry point of sale terminals off the ship and set them up in the bars, and carry them right back on to the ship on the last tender of the day. There is absolutely no reason they cannot accept Cheers on HMC other than that they don't want to. Which is fine, their company, their rules, but don't say that it's an accounting problem, when it's not.

We just returned from the Splendor, and purchased Cheers on day 2. We were not charged for the first day, and our drinks from day 1 were not retro-active - we paid individually for those drinks.

We were happy with Cheers, and knew what we were getting into, but we would not purchase it again. I was all boozed out by the end of the trip and barely drank my last 2-3 days. DH did not drink much the last 2 days either, but he definitely got his money's worth from it. I was a loss. Oh well. We would not choose to purchase it again.

Here's my beef with Cheers: It is not available on HMC. We knew this when we purchased it. It was available for a while, then when they changed it, I posted to JH on FB asking about it, and he said it was too hard to account for drinks on HMC against Cheers, or some malarky like that. This is absolute horsecrap. They carry point of sale terminals off the ship and set them up in the bars, and carry them right back on to the ship on the last tender of the day. There is absolutely no reason they cannot accept Cheers on HMC other than that they don't want to. Which is fine, their company, their rules, but don't say that it's an accounting problem, when it's not.

I totally agree with you about the HMC issue. I was on the Victory late April/early May, cruising with my sister. We did the cheers program simply for the convenience. Right before our cruise, the cost had gone up on the Victory to $49.95 + 15% gratuity. Since it was a 5 night cruise we didn't get "boozed out". For us, we absolutely made out well with it ;)

But now about HMC. We were very fortunate Carnival was still allowing the cheers program on HMC :D. And my sail and sign statement lists every drink I got on HMC. For location it shows "Captain on the Rocks". The times listed are after return to ship, but they are what I ordered while on HMC.

Our next "sisters cruise" will be 7 nights. HMC is one of the ports. Because most people (including myself) do tend to get "boozed out" by the end of a full week and because Carnival stopped allowing cheers on HMC, I'm not too sure yet if we'll purchase cheers next time. Might consider it if Carnival were to reinstate the use on HMC :cool:.

If you can't use it on HMC do you still pay for it? If so can you still use it on board whilst the ship is docked at HMC? Surely they can't charge you for something then stop you using it! :thumbdown::eek:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

I think the deal with HMC is that it doesn't update real time so they can't see when you've hit the magical number of 15 ;)

I think the deal with HMC is that it doesn't update real time so they can't see when you've hit the magical number of 15 ;)

That is the rumour I heard as well. Remember, it was after they went to the 15 drink limit that they removed HMC wasnt it?

But I agree overall, HMC would be nice to have included! :)

If you can't use it on HMC do you still pay for it? If so can you still use it on board whilst the ship is docked at HMC? Surely they can't charge you for something then stop you using it! :thumbdown::eek:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

You pay for every day, whether in a port or not. And HMC is considered a port. You can use it anytime, on the ship.

I've tried crunching numbers, and its worth it for me, borderline for my wife. We decided to get it if for no other reason then I don't have to worry about a bar tab, and it lets her try some of the drinks she's wanted to try but doesn't want to be stuck with if she doesn't like. If she gets it doesn't like it then 5 min later she can get something else

I will try it on shorter 4-5 day cruises but it becomes very expensive on the longer 9 day + cruises that I like to take. As many have stated, you start to pace yourself at that point. So cheers wouldn't really be worth it, IMHO :)

I will try it on shorter 4-5 day cruises but it becomes very expensive on the longer 9 day + cruises that I like to take. As many have stated, you start to pace yourself at that point. So cheers wouldn't really be worth it, IMHO :)

The majority of the shorter cruises are on Fantasy Class ships that are not participating in the program. There are 4-5 day Canadian cruises on the Glory as well as 5 day Victory cruises that are participating though.

Question: I am sure this has been answered but honestly I was too lazy to read all the posts :p Are they still requiring everyone in the cabin to purchase cheers?? I cruise in Sept and one girl would like to purchase but the other 2 do not.

• 3 weeks later...

There are no drinks that are exactly 10.00, but Grey Goose martini's that are 9.95 are included, as well as Patron Silver. Some ships will have some tequilas that are over 10.00, so they will not be included, but if you have to indulge in them, you get a 25% discount. Drinks of the day in the fancy glasses like the blow fish or the coconut are not included as well as floaters for on top of frozen drinks to give them an extra kick. But, you can of course get an extra shot of rum if you so desire to make your frozen drink stronger, but you'll have to wait 5 minutes to get it or have a bartender that will wait 5 minutes to ring it into the system. There's certain green colored paper that will expedite this process. ;) The downside to this is that you use up 2 of your 15 drinks doing it this way.

It's actually $10 or less. Only talking five cents, but under 10 will exclude some things. There is at least one wine that is $10 a glass and I am sure a few liquors that would fall under the program. We never felt limited. We especially enjoyed having cheers when at the Alchemy Bar. Ask for the premium brands. Buckets of beer and bottles of wine are not included (have to order individually) Enjoy! BTW - neither of us ever reached our 15 drinks. Guess we must be light weights. :D