The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

Why would sharing be bad? 15 drinks is 15 drinks.

15 drinks is likely close to the point where they stop making money or don't make enough for it to be a viable program. They don't actually want everyone to drink 15 drinks and are likely banking on the fact a lot (judging from responses on the threads where people complain about the 15 drink limit) don't reach the 15.

If two people were able to share it, it would be much more likely the 15 would be reached which means less profit for them.

• 2 weeks later...
I did not read the whole thread, but I did use the search feature.

On the original post, it says that pregnancy is not an exception to the program. We just booked our cruise and I am pregnant. We were told by Carnival that my husband can purchase the drink and I am not require (I am also required to provide a medical form from my doctor regarding my pregnancy anyway).

Did the rules change or am I getting bad information?

The rules must have changed, if what you were told by the Carnival rep is accurate. It will be interesting to see when you get on the ship they will allow your exemption from the cheers program. Sometimes Carnival Customer service gives incorrect info... Hopefully, it is correct, as this should be a valid exception

Just to update - the information was inaccurate. They would not give an exception to the Cheers program due to pregnancy.

I was pretty much expecting that after reading these boards and was not surprised. I am not made about the policy but was pissed that we were given incorrect information from someone from Carnival who I would expect to be a reliable source.

So they required a pregnant person to purchase the cheers package or any beverage plan?

If my husband wanted to purchase the Cheers program (which he did), we would both have to pay for the Cheers program, not any drink package. Although the unlimited bubbles would not have been worth it either.

We did not purchase Cheers.

Just to add, I had documentation from my doctor that Carnival required anyways stating I was pregnant, fit to sail and under 25 weeks at debarkation.

I don't know if this was addressed, I did not read the previous 52 pages. Carnival will not let you have any drinks after the 15 drink limit. You are treated like a child and cut off. Before my first Carnival cruise, I was told by two different phone reps that I could drink more than 15 but would have to buy them. I was not happy about this, Royal Caribbean's program means unlimited drinks all day, you are treated like an adult. Imagine my surprise when they cut me off the first night at 10:30 pm like I was a drunken teenager. The bartender literally grabbed my glass of wine off the bar. So I went to one of my friends and 'borrowed' his card for the rest of the evening while he went to bed. I opted out of the program after the 2nd day and Carnival prorated the two days and refunded the balance. I knew what to expect my second Carnival cruise so we smuggled a lot of booze on board.

I don't know if this was addressed, I did not read the previous 52 pages. Carnival will not let you have any drinks after the 15 drink limit. You are treated like a child and cut off. Before my first Carnival cruise, I was told by two different phone reps that I could drink more than 15 but would have to buy them. I was not happy about this, Royal Caribbean's program means unlimited drinks all day, you are treated like an adult. Imagine my surprise when they cut me off the first night at 10:30 pm like I was a drunken teenager. The bartender literally grabbed my glass of wine off the bar. So I went to one of my friends and 'borrowed' his card for the rest of the evening while he went to bed. I opted out of the program after the 2nd day and Carnival prorated the two days and refunded the balance. I knew what to expect my second Carnival cruise so we smuggled a lot of booze on board.

It was talked about and it seems some have different experiences. Some were told if they started paying at drink 13 or 14 they could continue on. Others were not able.

One lady posted a thread a couple of weeks ago quite upset because her 21 year old son made himself sick on the first day because he reached his 15 drink limit and continued on. He showed her the receipts for the paid drinks. She was under the impression that you were not allowed to buy drinks after 15 and went down to complain to Guest Services who checked with bar staff and told her there was no such policy. Seems to be one of those "depends on the ship/staff" things.

I read all 52 pgs and the following was not addressed.... Do the cabins still have mini bars (stocked fridge) and if so will they lock it if you hit 15 ?

what is in the mini bars is not included in the Cheers program.

Sorry if these questions have been asked and I missed it...

when did this program start?

Do bartenders serve those using Cheers with the same effort that they serve those who aren't? After all, surely they have figured out by now that when you signed up for this program you paid your tip so extra effort will probably not result in additional tip. So, logically, the guy sitting next to you, who isn't on Cheers and hasn't tipped is more likely to get better service.

Are mixed drinks light on alcohol?

Any complaints about the program?

I've seen conflicting answers concerning whether or not Cheers can be used on Half Moon Cay....any definite answer? This is typically one of our more intensive drinking days.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm aware that we can only get one drink at a time, but say my BF and I both want a drink but don't want to lose our seat/spot/get out of the pool, etc. Could I take both of our cards up to the bar and get a drink on each card? Or would we both have to go up together?

The rule says that each person must be present when the order is placed......however we have never had a problem. DW has placed our drink order, with both S&S cards, from her chair without me being present and the drinks arrived. I have walked up to a bar, with both cards, and received two drinks. So seems to depend on the ship, if not the individual bartender as to how strict the rules are followed.

The rule says that each person must be present when the order is placed......however we have never had a problem. DW has placed our drink order, with both S&S cards, from her chair without me being present and the drinks arrived. I have walked up to a bar, with both cards, and received two drinks. So seems to depend on the ship, if not the individual bartender as to how strict the rules are followed.

Thanks! I kind of figured it would depend on the bartender and how strict he/she is. Guess we'll just have to play it by ear. :)

Can you purchase the Cheers program with a credit card directly? Or can you only use your your sign and sail card to buy it?

Thank you!

p.s. My gut feeling is that the answer is the sign and sale card but I just wanted to confirm.

Can you purchase the Cheers program with a credit card directly? Or can you only use your your sign and sail card to buy it?

Thank you!

p.s. My gut feeling is that the answer is the sign and sale card but I just wanted to confirm.

Your gut is correct. All occupants of your cabin that are over 21 must purchase the program and you can purchase it only on embarkation day or day 2.

You have to pay for the cup, it's not included in Cheers.
You have to pay for the cup that is not included in the bottomless bubbles program as well. RCI includes their cup in their program, Carnival does not. Carnival limits your alcoholic drinks to 15 per day, other lines do not.

You have to pay for the cup that is not included in the bottomless bubbles program as well. RCI includes their cup in their program, Carnival does not. Carnival limits your alcoholic drinks to 15 per day, other lines do not.

Actually, Carnival doesn't limit the drinks in all situations. When my fiancé reached 15, bartenders in three different bars on three different nights took my card to charge the drinks since I was about five behind him. We didn't ask to do that, the bartender just said we'll use your card.

Actually, Carnival doesn't limit the drinks in all situations. When my fiancé reached 15, bartenders in three different bars on three different nights took my card to charge the drinks since I was about five behind him. We didn't ask to do that, the bartender just said we'll use your card.

Carnival does in fact limit the drinks to 15 alcoholic ones per day per their official policy, even though on certain ships and certain bars YMMV. You ran into 3 different bartenders who decided to go against house rules and swipe your card so your fiance could drink 16, 17 & 18 that day.

Others have found the policy not be fully enforced, too, on other ships. Obviously, it's not a big deal to Carnival since there was no hesitation on the bartenders' parts to ask for my card. Neither of was intoxicated or even mildly tipsy, which most likely is why they did that.