Oceania compared to Azamara a few questions

vival

Hi I'm new to this forum and seriously considering booking an October cruise. We have sailed four times with Azamara and loved it. I'm sure from what we have read we will also enjoy Oceania. A few things we really like about Azamara and would love to know if Oceania is comparable in these areas.

We love eating breakfast on the open deck outside the buffet can we do same on Oceania?

What about coffee and pastries, are these available all day?

Finally is there bottled water available to passengers as they leave ship to go ashore independently?

I'm sure there are enough people who have sailed both lines that can answer my questions.

Many thanks

Hi I'm new to this forum and seriously considering booking an October cruise. We have sailed four times with Azamara and loved it. I'm sure from what we have read we will also enjoy Oceania. A few things we really like about Azamara and would love to know if Oceania is comparable in these areas.

We love eating breakfast on the open deck outside the buffet can we do same on Oceania? YES

What about coffee and pastries, are these available all day? If on the O class ships at Barristas the R-class you can get coffee in several locations but no pastries all day

Finally is there bottled water available to passengers as they leave ship to go ashore independently?

YES

I'm sure there are enough people who have sailed both lines that can answer my questions.

Many thanks

Have not sail Azamara but hopefully someone will compare for you

I am not sure there is a comparison between the O class ship & R-class ships of either line

It would have to be an R class ship to compare them and the answer is yes to all your questions..In addition Oceania does not charge for their specialty restaurants, Toscanna and Polo that are fabulous and the ships have been completely updated, unlike Azamara that are just starting a little at a time..the crew is just as wonderful and friendly although Captain Smith is alone in his availability to the passengers we love him!! I have been on Azamara 5 times and Oceania 17 times if you have any more questions..

Jancruz1

We just returned from a 10-day cruise on the Riviera. Our last cruise before that was on the Journey. I can answer most of your questions - Yes, you can eat breakfast out on the Terraces (on the Riviera, and I believe the 'R' ships that Oceania owns are laid out just like the Quest and Journey - in fact, the lay out of the Riviera and Marina are very similar to the Journey). Coffee is available in Baristas all day, I believe (we didn't visit it, however) - but I'm not sure if they have pastries there all day or not ---- others who did make use of Baristas should be able to help. And Yes, you are provided with bottled water when leave at each port. I recently posted our review of the Riviera with a comparison to the Journey (and btw, we fell in love with the Journey), so that should give you our perspective of the two lines as well. Enjoy!

We love eating breakfast on the open deck outside the buffet can we do same on Oceania?

What about coffee and pastries, are these available all day?

Many thanks

We have cruised on both lines & enjoyed both.Oceania doesn't have a cafe like the Mosiac, but it does have afternoon teas in Horizon which are to die for. I don' feel that one line is better than the other ,they just have different strengths & weaknesses. Enjoy your cruise

If you are familiar with the "search function" on these forums, do a search for Oceania vs Azamara (or v.v.) on oth forums (O & A).

You will come up with many lengthy threads full of all sorts of information about the two lines. You may need many days to get through it ;)

We just returned from a 10-day cruise on the Riviera. Our last cruise before that was on the Journey. I can answer most of your questions - Yes, you can eat breakfast out on the Terraces (on the Riviera, and I believe the 'R' ships that Oceania owns are laid out just like the Quest and Journey - in fact, the lay out of the Riviera and Marina are very similar to the Journey). Coffee is available in Baristas all day, I believe (we didn't visit it, however) - but I'm not sure if they have pastries there all day or not ---- others who did make use of Baristas should be able to help. And Yes, you are provided with bottled water when leave at each port. I recently posted our review of the Riviera with a comparison to the Journey (and btw, we fell in love with the Journey), so that should give you our perspective of the two lines as well. Enjoy!

Mike, much better to compare R ship with R ship since that is what the OP is traveling on..tho the Marina and Riviera are fabulous they are very different from the R ships..

Jancruz1

There actually is more opportunity to breakfast on the open deck because the Oceania ships do not have that extremely large bar area taking up 1/2 the outdoor space like Quest does.

However, you need to wait until the scrumptious 4 PM tea for pastries! Do not miss the scones with clotted cream.:)

Thank you all for your helpful replies. None of my questions would be deal breakers. I have read lots of comparisons between the two lines and am quite sure we will love the Oceania experience , we will miss the included wines and from what I've read wine on board can be expensive. I guess we will have to bring some on board at the various ports. The other thing we will miss will be Mosaic, on Azamara we tended to miss lunch and have a snack when we came back from sightseeing. We will just have to time our return for afternoon tea!

Vival,

We often have lunch at Waves (by the pool, outside the Terrace Cafe) when we return from a tour after the restaurants are closed -- hamburgers, salads, etc. Open til 4, I think, but definitely until at least 3.

Of course, if you do that you may not have room for tea ...

Such problems!

Mura

Thank you all for your helpful replies. None of my questions would be deal breakers. I have read lots of comparisons between the two lines and am quite sure we will love the Oceania experience , we will miss the included wines and from what I've read wine on board can be expensive. I guess we will have to bring some on board at the various ports. The other thing we will miss will be Mosaic, on Azamara we tended to miss lunch and have a snack when we came back from sightseeing. We will just have to time our return for afternoon tea!

Waves, the restsurant on deck is open until 4pm with the most fabulous sandwiches you have ever tasted!! you will never go hungry on Oceania..

Jancruz1

For those off times between when the Waves grill closes at 4 pm, tea and dinner we order a cheese and antipasto platter from room service. Never thought to do this until a fellow cruiser told us. We eat late and often would come back from tours after tea and Waves closed.

For those off times between when the Waves grill closes at 4 pm, tea and dinner we order a cheese and antipasto platter from room service. Never thought to do this until a fellow cruiser told us. We eat late and often would come back from tours after tea and Waves closed.

Sounds lovely, with this and all the other suggestions we won't go hungry :)

• 1 month later...
Waves, the restsurant on deck is open until 4pm with the most fabulous sandwiches you have ever tasted!! you will never go hungry on Oceania..

Jancruz1

Don't forget the ice-cream and milkshakes :D!!

One thing I can tell you

You will get much more balanced and objective answers to your questions here on the Oceania boards than on the Azamara boards

Yes - because over there, several Oceania-cruising Azamara-bashers seem to delight in attacking A on their boards.

Don't know why some think it has to be an either/or ... enjoy whoever you cruise!

Yes - because over there, several Oceania-cruising Azamara-bashers seem to delight in attacking A on their boards.

Don't know why some think it has to be an either/or ... enjoy whoever you cruise!

Couldn't agree more!

I tend to follow the Azamara boards because we have had fabulous cruises with them. I have been following this board recently and have been surprised by some of comments.

I was also concerned by the recent discussions about the rudeness of some passengers, I can honestly say we have never encountered rudeness in any form on Azamara!

Just avoid the rude passengers. I have sailed on numerous cruise lines and on all of the cruise lines, there has been rude passengers. Unfortunately in every nationality there are those who do not know how to mind their manners. You will find more polite passengers than rude. Enjoy your cruise.

As far as cruise line bashing goes, it happens on all boards. Sour grapes to those who must bash.

Archived