Buying Carnival shares and getting onboard credit

lets_go

Hi Everyone,

Hoping you can help. I have been reading the posts about purchasing Carnival Shares (CCL) on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and I am looking into this with my bank. My reasons for purchase CCL Shares are:

- I will be able to get shareholder benefits (i.e. Onboard Credit), and

- I also think its a good investment.

From what I understand, the only way way to buy US Shares when in Australia (that is as a non US resident from outside USA) is through an online share trading system, like ComSec, Westpac or eTrade.

It looks like shares purchased in this way are held in a "trustee type" arrangement, with the Bank (or a trust company) as the legal owner. From what I understand all the bank's online share trading systems are the same. Of course, my Bank share statement will show I own CCL shares.

I want to ask if there are any other Aussies who are in the same situation and were able to get the OBC in the same situation.

Also from your experience, how easy was it purchasing the shares and how long did it take to get them?

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

Yes, buy with Etrade. When completing the required forms online, make sure you also complete the Global Trading forms. You only need to buy 100 shares. We bought ours in 2012 and got our OBC for our cruises last year. Still waiting for Princess to reply regarding our upcoming cruise as yet tho!

• 2 years later...
Not that I've ever taken a World Cruise but on all my B2B2B2B I apply for each one individually.

Thanks.

Were they booked/paid for individually as separate cruises or as a single numbered cruise?

If one takes a World Cruise or other multi- segment trip, is the Carnival shares OBC applied per segment, many of which are longer than 13 days?

Thx

I am not sure about the world cruise, but for other cruises, it is based on the way you book. For example, if you book 2 ten day cruises, you get $100 on each leg. However, if you book 1 twenty day cruise, you get $250. On the other hand, 2 twenty day cruises would get you $250 on each leg, but a 20 day cruise would be $250.

I think at the end Paul meant to say a 40 day cruised that was booked as one cruise would get $250 whereas if it was booked as two cruises you would get credit for each cruise. It is all determined by how many booking numbers you have.

My last cruise was booked as a 28 day cruise. I had one booking number and received $250. If I had booked each segment (there were 2) separately as a b2b then I would have had two booking numbers and therefore each one would have qualified for the shareholder credit. The price for booking it as a 28 day instead of as a 17 day and then an 11 day was much less expensive.

I am not sure about the world cruise, but for other cruises, it is based on the way you book. For example, if you book 2 ten day cruises, you get $100 on each leg. However, if you book 1 twenty day cruise, you get $250. On the other hand, 2 twenty day cruises would get you $250 on each leg, but a 20 day cruise would be $250.

This sounds logical.

If one takes a World Cruise or other multi- segment trip, is the Carnival shares OBC applied per segment, many of which are longer than 13 days?

Thx

It is applied once per booking number.

This is true for all Princess cruises.