Buying Carnival shares and getting onboard credit

lets_go

I already have a cruise booked for April and it's fully paid. If I purchase stock now, will I still receive the OBC for this departure?
As long as you have proof of ownership and submit your request at least two weeks before your departure, you will get the credit. In fact, you must be after the final payment date before you can request the OBC.

I already have a cruise booked for April and it's fully paid. If I purchase stock now, will I still receive the OBC for this departure?

Just to be sure you are clear about this, the OBC is NOT automatic. You MUST submit your proof of ownership and the request to the cruise line at least two weeks before you sail.

So Ive been thinking about this thread....

I

So if we were to sell the stock today at $36 a share, that would mean we would get a total of $4425 on our investment or a 34% return. Wow. Where can you get anything like that?:p

Which is sort of the problem isnt it?

The cruise company, by putting short term investor profits first slacked off on safety measures (Concordia, Triumph) resulting in serious issues....

So Ive been thinking about this thread....

Which is sort of the problem isnt it?

The cruise company, by putting short term investor profits first slacked off on safety measures (Concordia, Triumph) resulting in serious issues....

What problem are you referring to? What profits would change the Concordia incident? Are you suggesting that offering an OBC and dividends is the reason for the safety issues with the Triumph?

That's just silly. They do those things to encourage cruising. IF they have "slacked off on safety measures", that would be a management decision totally separate from OBC and dividends.

What problem are you referring to? What profits would change the Concordia incident? Are you suggesting that offering an OBC and dividends is the reason for the safety issues with the Triumph?

That's just silly. They do those things to encourage cruising. IF they have "slacked off on safety measures", that would be a management decision totally separate from OBC and dividends.

Im saying the corporate culture of short term profits to please investors inevitably leads to problems like deferred maintenance. This is not a problem exclusive to carnival, its a large by-product of our corporate capitalist system and is true for almost every public company.

If theyre giving out dividends its because theyre taking money from other places....either food, or maintenance or wages.

I say this as an observation, as I said previously, Im looking to buy shares before my cruise to take advantage of the perk,e specially now that prices are low due to the carnival incident.

Im saying the corporate culture of short term profits to please investors inevitably leads to problems like deferred maintenance. This is not a problem exclusive to carnival, its a large by-product of our corporate capitalist system and is true for almost every public company.

If theyre giving out dividends its because theyre taking money from other places....either food, or maintenance or wages.

I say this as an observation, as I said previously, Im looking to buy shares before my cruise to take advantage of the perk,e specially now that prices are low due to the carnival incident.

They pay dividends because they are making money.

Buy the stock (everyone) & my share price goes up. However, I don't care about the share price because I have already gotten $500 in OBC (2 cruises) & I get more with every cruise I take & I still own my original investment + the dividends + more than the original investment if I wished to sell which I don't even if it goes down below my original investment.

Amuse 1

Wow !!! I didn't know that !!!! I thought they paid dividends because they managed the company properly so they could make a profit.

Thank you for enlightening everybody !!!:rolleyes:

They pay dividends because they are making money.

Its not that simple.

If revenue is 500, costs are what you make of it. You can pay high wages, buy the best food and have the best maintenance (R&D), have costs of 500 and offer zero dividends (zero profits). Of course, you would also go by the name "non-profit"!

Say you cut costs so you have revenue of 500 and costs of 400. What do you do with the 100? You can pay out dividends, give executive bonuses, put it in a rainy day fund, put it into R&D etc.

Its all a give and take. Companies with really high R&D tend to not give out dividends because thats where the money is going. You cant have it all. You cant pay out dividends AND have a high cash vault (apple) AND high R&D AND high..... you get the point.

I suggest reading up on Sears/Kmart. The reason theyre in such bad shape isnt as simple as "people dont like shopping there". People dont like shopping there because they invest almost nothing into their stores. Instead, they take that money, and pay high dividends.

Short term, the shareholders are happy, and the executive team is happy. Long term? Well, tell me how Sears/Kmart is doing in 2020....

Im just making the suggestion that Carnival seems to have been deferring maintenance. The money "saved" there is going elsewhere. It may be dividends, it may not be.

I suggest reading up on Sears/Kmart. The reason theyre in such bad shape isnt as simple as "people dont like shopping there". People dont like shopping there because they invest almost nothing into their stores. Instead, they take that money, and pay high dividends.
I respectfully disagree. Most brick and mortar retail stores are in trouble because it's hard for them to compete with online stores. Sears/KMart are well behind other retailers in setting up a competitive online store. People don't like shopping in stores as much as they used to because they can sit at their computer, tablet or smart phone, do a search, comparison shop, purchase and have it delivered to their door without getting out of their PJ's. It's that simple.

FYI, the Concordia tragedy had nothing to do with cutting back on maintenance: it was a show-boating Captain who made a very poor decision and went too close to the shore way too fast.

Edited by Pam in CA

I see a lot of comments stating that Carnival (and many other cruise lines) are cutting back on maintenance. I cannot recall any incidents of the mainstream cruise lines being proven to have problems due to lack of maintenance.

Some components of the ships cannot be repaired without going into drydock, but most of the parts of the propulsion systems are routinely maintained and repaired while the ships are in service--- and --- records are kept that seem to satisfy the inspection teams that check the ships on schedule and as random inspections.

The original Azipods on several ships were having bearing problems and caused some delays and could not be serviced from inside the ship. The newer models have been changed to allow servicing from inside the ships. This is just one example of an equipment problem that many have blamed on the cruise lines, but in fact, it was a design problem that is being corrected.

Don't be so quick to point fingers at the cruise lines. They would have to be very foolish to knowingly allow a multi-million dollar piece of equipment to detioriate to the point of uselessness.

Edited by swedish weave
spelling correction

I still believe. My purchase of CCL stock was a great buy .i got it afew years ago when it was very cheap .since then it has gone up .having sailed. With Carnival,Princess,Costa,Hal,Cunard,the obc have largely paid back my investment .now the dividends and obc are a bonus I truly appreciate

Yes it is a good investment as I cruise a few times a year dependingwhat catches my fancy ...at least once in winter once in summer and lately i preferlonger cruises

I recommendbuying the stock even if only for OBC i love spending thatmoney and it has covered many a purchase ....designer watches as one example

Whatever you do enjoy

Michele

My company had both specific funds in their 401 and a "self-directed" option. I bought my 100 shares several years ago. With two cruises a year I have gotten around $250 in OBC each year (varies by type of cruise) on top of a stock that does better than the company funds and has already grown to 130 shares. And the investment came out of the existing 401, so there was no initial cash outlay.

I respectfully disagree. Most brick and mortar retail stores are in trouble because it's hard for them to compete with online stores. Sears/KMart are well behind other retailers in setting up a competitive online store. People don't like shopping in stores as much as they used to because they can sit at their computer, tablet or smart phone, do a search, comparison shop, purchase and have it delivered to their door without getting out of their PJ's. It's that simple.

FYI, the Concordia tragedy had nothing to do with cutting back on maintenance: it was a show-boating Captain who made a very poor decision and went too close to the shore way too fast.

We're going terribly off topic, but Kmart/Sears is a special case because the lack of any form of technology or store upgrade is a direct result of their shareholder policy.

Theyre in a manufactured death spiral.

-Almost all profits go out as dividends, with minimal investment to stores

-Minimal investment means lost customers (ugly, dirty stores)

-You cant profit without customers, so they close some stores (the worst performing), sell the real estate (theyre one of the few big box companies to own land) and use the one-off windfall to pad the budget (aka, next years profits)

Rinse and repeat.

The executives are content because this strategy ensures them 10+ years of money. The shareholders are content because theyre also getting a stable return (for the next decade at least). The big losers, of course, are the employees who get fired and the small towns who lose their anchor store.

Many articles have been written about this specific form of management, so youll have no trouble finding additional sources if youre so inclined.

Of course, Carnival has absolutely nothing to do with that. As I said, we've gone terribly off topic...

On topic, shares fell another 50 cents. I think its close to the bottom, Ill be buying and enjoying my credit, and hopefully profits.

My company had both specific funds in their 401 and a "self-directed" option. I bought my 100 shares several years ago. With two cruises a year I have gotten around $250 in OBC each year (varies by type of cruise) on top of a stock that does better than the company funds and has already grown to 130 shares. And the investment came out of the existing 401, so there was no initial cash outlay.

Good..........a no brainer

I need information on how to buy Carnival stock if I don't have a stock broker. What is the easiest/least expensive way to do this?

Thanks for your ideas.

Betty

I am presuming you are USA....

Do you have any kind of account in a brokerage such as Schwab or Fidelity or Vanguard or t Rowe Price or any of them? If yes call & tell them you want to buy or do it on line through them.

If you do not have an account, call or go there & establish an account & buy the stock.

They will help.....easy to do...........

Just tell them to buy 100 shares of Carnival CCL stock for you..

For Fidelity call 1-800-544-5703

amuse1,

Thanks for the advice. I just purchased 100 shares.

Betty

For future reference youll find trade king has the cheapest commissions, but it takes a few days of setting up (verification, money transfer etc).

Today was probably a good day to buy.

I got this e-mail yesterday from Princess about my Oct. cruise on the Royal. If you are buying CCL stock for the OBC, nothing is guaranteed.

Good Day,

The benefit is applicable for sailings through July 31,2013. After that time the program will be under review. Please resubmit your request for shareholder benefits after a decission is reached. The decision will be published on Carnivals web site. Carnival.com.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises, Booking Support

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

1 800-PRINCESS

Shareholder Fax: (661) 753-0180

I got this e-mail yesterday from Princess about my Oct. cruise on the Royal. If you are buying CCL stock for the OBC, nothing is guaranteed.

Good Day,

The benefit is applicable for sailings through July 31,2013. After that time the program will be under review. Please resubmit your request for shareholder benefits after a decission is reached. The decision will be published on Carnivals web site. Carnival.com.

Sincerely,

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

1 800-PRINCESS

It is a lot like the fuel surcharge. It is always an option. They would be stupid to discontinue.

Well that's not to say corporations have never done anything stupid... ;)

Seriously, this happens every year. The shareholder benefit is "approved" by Carnival execs for one year at at a time. While they might not extend it this year (or any other future year) I personally think they will continue to offer it. Just keep watching the carnival web site or these boards and resubmit when you see that it has been extended another year...

My .02,

Edited by Av8tor

Good Day,

Sincerely,

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

1 800-PRINCESS

It happened to us last year, you just have to wait for the new window to open.

If you read the Shareholder Benefit Form at the moment on the Carnival site it quotes:

The benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2013 aboard the brands listed below. Certain restrictions apply. Applications to receive these benefits

should be made at least two weeks prior to cruise departure date.

Reservations must be made by February 28, 2013.

Starting 1st March information will appear about the next benefit for sailings through to December 2013.

We will be applying in the next couple of weeks for our cruises in August and September 2013