iPads and email on board

macpiper

Going to be taking our iPad on our next cruise. We are curious to cruisers experience with using the built in iPad Mail app vs. using a web browser based email like gmail or Yahoo. We've always used a laptop before and just used Yahoo on Internet Explorer.

Anyone have direct experience using the iPad Mail app on board?

Thanks,

I usually buy a foreign data plan for my AT&T iPhone (which has become much cheaper compared to a few years ago) and when in port use it as a personal hotspot to download email and check into Facebook, etc to my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You still have to go through the ship's wifi to access. Or use the 3G, which means you have to use the ship's satellite phone system.

Yup, that's right. Got plenty of experience doing that.

But I'm still looking to find out if someone has actually used the iPad Mail app on board a Celebrity ship (using their wifi).

Thanks,

Yes, I've used the mail program on my iPad on the ship. It's quick and easy. I would sign onto the ship's wi-fi, do a send and receive, and then sign off. Then, I would write all of my emails (offline) and then do the same thing (sign on, do send/receive, sign off).

Yes, I've used the mail program on my iPad on the ship. It's quick and easy. I would sign onto the ship's wi-fi, do a send and receive, and then sign off. Then, I would write all of my emails (offline) and then do the same thing (sign on, do send/receive, sign off).

Thanks Crazygirl! This is exactly the information I'm looking for.

Happy cruising!

iPads sometimes give the Celebrity wi-fi system some trouble (or maybe it's the other way around). Make sure you bookmark the Celebrity log off page and log off completely after every time you log on. Just turning off the device does not log off. Sometimes with iPads the log off page doesn't work, and the clock keeps ticking. Go to the Computer Center and tell them how many minutes were used in the faulty log off and they can put those minutes back in your account. Saw probably ten people come to the Computer Room with the "unable to log off my iPad" panic on their faces. Don't know why iPads are particularly fussy about the log off screen but there seems to be a known issue with this, so just be aware.

iPads sometimes give the Celebrity wi-fi system some trouble (or maybe it's the other way around). Make sure you bookmark the Celebrity log off page and log off completely after every time you log on. Just turning off the device does not log off. Sometimes with iPads the log off page doesn't work, and the clock keeps ticking. Go to the Computer Center and tell them how many minutes were used in the faulty log off and they can put those minutes back in your account. Saw probably ten people come to the Computer Room with the "unable to log off my iPad" panic on their faces. Don't know why iPads are particularly fussy about the log off screen but there seems to be a known issue with this, so just be aware.

Yeah, we've been down that road several times with laptops on RCCL.

Maybe since we have multiple browsers installed on the iPad one of them might actually function correctly with the ship's wifi.

I usually buy a foreign data plan for my AT&T iPhone (which has become much cheaper compared to a few years ago) and when in port use it as a personal hotspot to download email and check into Facebook, etc to my iPad.

As we will be arriving several weeks before the cruise, we have already arranged to use a Pocket WiFi to create our own personal access.

But there will be times on board the ship that we will need to use the ship's wifi.

I used the iPad on our last cruise and prefer it to carrying a laptop. Formthe first time, I did not use all of my alotted elite minutes. I did download emails and compose responses offline using my Yahoo account. I never did hVe difficulties signing out.

I used the iPad on our last cruise and prefer it to carrying a laptop. Formthe first time, I did not use all of my alotted elite minutes. I did download emails and compose responses offline using my Yahoo account. I never did hVe difficulties signing out.

When you accessed your Yahoo account were you using a browser like Safari or Chrome, or did you use the built in Mail App?

Thanks,

When you accessed your Yahoo account were you using a browser like Safari or Chrome, or did you use the built in Mail App?

Thanks,

I believe I used the built in mail app. I did have the sign off program installed by those in the ilounge.

Yup, that's right. Got plenty of experience doing that.

But I'm still looking to find out if someone has actually used the iPad Mail app on board a Celebrity ship (using their wifi).

Thanks,

I have and while it is a slow connection, it works.

I log in, Download, sign off, do any responses offline and send when I log in again.

Going to be taking our iPad on our next cruise. We are curious to cruisers experience with using the built in iPad Mail app vs. using a web browser based email like gmail or Yahoo. We've always used a laptop before and just used Yahoo on Internet Explorer.

Anyone have direct experience using the iPad Mail app on board?

Thanks,

I have used the iPad mail app for the last 2 years on 5 different ships with absolutely no problem. I have not heard of log-off problems like others have mentioned. In my opinion, this probably comes from inexperience or just not knowing how to use your iPad. Even my 12 year old daughter has had no problems. I believe the mail app will be quicker than going to the gmail/yahoo website and logging on. Those sites can be slow sometimes. Another advantage to using the mail app is that while you are surfing the net, your mail will automatically be checked and downloaded - 2 birds being shot with 1 wifi minute!

The internet staff recommended turning off wifi each time after we logged off as an additional precaution to prevent what you described above.

I used my iPod Touch 5 on our last cruises and always accessed mail using the built in mail app, the same basically as on the iPad, with 100% success.

Just remember to log off they way the Celebrity internet guys/gals tell you to.

Not sure of the question you are asking, but wanted to voice my opinion on using iPad as an e-reader when out on deck. It was terribly difficult to read the screen because of reflections. I should have taken my Kindle along with my iPad, but was trying to get along with less.

I have the guys in the iLounge put an app on my iPad which makes it easy to sign off. I haven't had any problems logging off but I still check my minutes just in case.

What is this app that y'all are speaking about?

I have used the iPad mail app for the last 2 years on 5 different ships with absolutely no problem. I have not heard of log-off problems like others have mentioned. In my opinion, this probably comes from inexperience or just not knowing how to use your iPad. Even my 12 year old daughter has had no problems. I believe the mail app will be quicker than going to the gmail/yahoo website and logging on. Those sites can be slow sometimes. Another advantage to using the mail app is that while you are surfing the net, your mail will automatically be checked and downloaded - 2 birds being shot with 1 wifi minute!

I had the same problem this past weekend. Twice, I had to go to the ilounge on the Constellation and get the tech to log me off. AND, I am not inexperienced with my iPad. Tech had to completely shut off my iPad for the log off to work. Book marking the log off code did not work, either. Tech never offered an app or to apply lost minutes while trying to log off. I had the same problem when trying to log out on their computer using my Wi-Fi package.

Also, Celebrity's program does not support USAIRWAYS. One of the reasons that I got the minutes package was to download and print our flight info. No could do.

Not sure of the question you are asking, but wanted to voice my opinion on using iPad as an e-reader when out on deck. It was terribly difficult to read the screen because of reflections. I should have taken my Kindle along with my iPad, but was trying to get along with less.

What is this app that y'all are speaking about?

I had the same problem this past weekend. Twice, I had to go to the ilounge on the Constellation and get the tech to log me off. AND, I am not inexperienced with my iPad. Tech had to completely shut off my iPad for the log off to work. Book marking the log off code did not work, either. Tech never offered an app or to apply lost minutes while trying to log off. I had the same problem when trying to log out on their computer using my Wi-Fi package.

Also, Celebrity's program does not support USAIRWAYS. One of the reasons that I got the minutes package was to download and print our flight info. No could do.

There is no app. They just bookmark the logout page to your homescreen. It might appear to the OP that it was an app but it is just a link on the home screen to the logout page. It is good to do to make logging out easier.

As far as the problems you had on Constellation......there is something wrong with their servers on that ship. I had the same issues and they had to reset me numerous times. Has nothing to do with it being an iPad either. A friend with a Windows netbook had the same issues. It is the Connie server that is broken.

As far as using the iPad as an ebook reader I had no problem on deck as I always stay in the shade even with a printed book. Was even successful on the beach by being under an umbrella. So it works with my reading habits.

There is no app. They just bookmark the logout page to your homescreen. It might appear to the OP that it was an app but it is just a link on the home screen to the logout page. It is good to do to make logging out easier.

As far as the problems you had on Constellation......there is something wrong with their servers on that ship. I had the same issues and they had to reset me numerous times. Has nothing to do with it being an iPad either. A friend with a Windows netbook had the same issues. It is the Connie server that is broken.

As far as using the iPad as an ebook reader I had no problem on deck as I always stay in the shade even with a printed book. Was even successful on the beach by being under an umbrella. So it works with my reading habits.

The OP was asking about an email app.

We are curious to cruisers experience with using the built in iPad Mail app vs. using a web browser based email like gmail or Yahoo.

I agree that I think there was a server problem on the Connie. As I said, I had trouble on both the iPad and their computers. Plus, on my iPad, I was able to check my Hotmail, but could not connect to any other email service or to a web page.

Right, no problem reading in the shade, but when the sun was out it was a strain on the eyes.

Archived