Star Princess did not ignore a boat adrift at sea

Vampire Parrot

Some news regarding the Star Princess apparently ignoring a boat adrift at sea:

Recently released video footage of the rescue at sea of the Fifty Cent has confirmed that it was not the same boat that was photographed by passengers on the Star Princess.

Alan Buckelew (Princess Cruises CEO) said “while this remains a tragic story, we are gratified to have scientific confirmation that the Star Princess was never in the vicinity of the adrift boat and that the boat photographed by our passengers was not the adrift Fifty Cent."

“Nevertheless, ” he added, “we have used this as a valuable learning opportunity and have strengthened our bridge reporting procedures to ensure that all messages of concern from passengers or crew are carefully evaluated by our senior bridge officers.”

Princess Cruises, referring to the photographs taken by the passengers says that “their photos depict a small white boat similar to Panga boats used by local fishermen in Central America. In contrast, the video footage of the Fifty Cent’s rescue shows a markedly different boat.”

Source: Issue 220 of "The Sea"

VP quote.gif

As I was on that cruise, I'm not surprised. Amazing the damage that a few well-meaning but ignorant people (and the media) can do. This will always be remembered as the cruise that ignored a distress call and the Captain will always carry the stigma in the media even though none of the claims were true.

As I was on that cruise, I'm not surprised. Amazing the damage that a few well-meaning but ignorant people (and the media) can do. This will always be remembered as the cruise that ignored a distress call and the Captain will always carry the stigma in the media even though none of the claims were true.

Where are all the talking heads now with this piece of information that clears the Captain and the ship of any wrong doing.:mad:

Why is this news when Princess released this information last August?

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2012/08/New-Evidence-Proves-Princess-Cruises-Did-Not-Fail-to-Rescue-Adrift-Fishermen-as-Alleged.html#.USTsqFp1T84

Have the lawsuits been dropped?

Have the results of investigations by Panamanian and Bermuda authorities been released?

It seems like the issue just disappeared when Princess released their press release.

Not everyone accepted the Princess version.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/star-princess/

I don't think this is actually anything new. The quote from Mr. Buckelew is identical to the one in the Princess 8/30/12 press release which also discussed the differences in some recent (at that time) video footage.

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2012/08/New-Evidence-Proves-Princess-Cruises-Did-Not-Fail-to-Rescue-Adrift-Fishermen-as-Alleged.html#.USTrD2t5mSM

I think "The Sea" is just a bit behind on reporting their news.

Eta- I see billco and I were thinking the same thing at the same time ;)

Where are all the talking heads now with this piece of information that clears the Captain and the ship of any wrong doing.:mad:
Off spreading other misinformation. It's not sexy nor does it gain viewership to make a retraction or publish a correction follow-up. Hope the birders are happy.

Some news regarding the Star Princess apparently ignoring a boat adrift at sea:

Recently released video footage of the rescue at sea of the Fifty Cent has confirmed that it was not the same boat that was photographed by passengers on the Star Princess.

Alan Buckelew (Princess Cruises CEO) said “while this remains a tragic story, we are gratified to have scientific confirmation that the Star Princess was never in the vicinity of the adrift boat and that the boat photographed by our passengers was not the adrift Fifty Cent."

“Nevertheless, ” he added, “we have used this as a valuable learning opportunity and have strengthened our bridge reporting procedures to ensure that all messages of concern from passengers or crew are carefully evaluated by our senior bridge officers.”

Princess Cruises, referring to the photographs taken by the passengers says that “their photos depict a small white boat similar to Panga boats used by local fishermen in Central America. In contrast, the video footage of the Fifty Cent’s rescue shows a markedly different boat.”

Source: Issue 220 of "The Sea

VP quote.gif

Thanks for posting this. I may have missed all of the details, before. Thanks again.

Off spreading other misinformation. It's not sexy nor does it gain viewership to make a retraction or publish a correction follow-up. Hope the birders are happy.

... and we can be certain that if the Star Princess is EVER in the news again, they will find a way to include: "The ship was alleged to have ignored distress calls from a......". WITHOUT "...which was later proved unfounded"...

Archived