Suites/4 Star/5 Star Priority Tendering

SilvertoGold

HAL is giving priority to so many pax now almost no one actually has any priority. And heavens knows, with all the Mariner discounts for everything under the sun up to as much as 50% off everything from a specialty restaurant dinner to a cup of coffee, it's no wonder HAL charges what they do for a bottle of cheap wine. The perks have gone overboard

since this thread has been resurrected...

Right you are, but.... what is the point of HAL offering the "priority tender" to anyone, suites, 4 star, 5 star, if they can't deliver on it?

We got the first tender off after the shore excursions in St. Malo - we were pretty low on the totem pole. We had 4* with us and I was in the PS - it was all for naught although they did recognize us a group and kept us informed which was nice.

HAL is giving priority to so many pax now almost no one actually has any priority. And heavens knows' date=' with all the Mariner discounts for everything under the sun up to as much as 50% off everything from a specialty restaurant dinner to a cup of coffee, it's no wonder HAL charges what they do for a bottle of cheap wine. The perks have gone overboard[/quote']

Really? you had better check out the perks on other ships is all I can say. Most who do different ships would say that HAL is behind the times. The problem as I see it is that they are selecting perks that they cannot live up to when it comes to priority tendering, boarding, whatever.

We don't sail for perks - we sail for itineraries and the ships although we do like some of the perks and happily take them in stride:D I think they have been paid for a long, long time ago:rolleyes::D

HAL's perks have become worthless -- JMO.

Once HAL started this new "Star" program -- hundreds of people automatically qualified for priority check-in, free laundry, priority tendering, etc.

Now you get on ships where all these perks are practically for the majority of the passengers.

Worthless for those of us who have hundreds of days on HAL while others with only 200 days get what we had to earn by sailing hundreds of days -- not via points.

HAL's perks have become worthless -- JMO.

Once HAL started this new "Star" program -- hundreds of people automatically qualified for priority check-in, free laundry, priority tendering, etc.

Now you get on ships where all these perks are practically for the majority of the passengers.

Worthless for those of us who have hundreds of days on HAL while others with only 200 days get what we had to earn by sailing hundreds of days -- not via points.

tell us what you really think:D

Well, now the shoe is on the other foot - I could have fun now and say since it doesn't affect me, it's not a big deal:D but I won't do that but....

you don't carry wine on board and don't care. I have a lot of days on HAl and don't care either about this :D but I will empathize with you as you have a legitimatate beef for you. For me, it's no bigggie. the perks are what they are. I like the free laundry and a couple of others. I don't consider the priorty embarkation or disembarkation to be important any more - my eyes got opened last cruise. Just depends on the sailing. Empathy is a very wonderful thing.

I have to say that new font is really bright and bold - maybe turn off the bold at least? just a suggestion;)

I forgot about this thread!

HAL's rewards for 5 stars are great: we like the 2 complimentary Pinnacle dinners, cooking class and spa pass internet package, as well as the 4 star rewards like 50% off Exploration's Cafe. Mini bar, wine packages.

As for the "priority tendering", we prefer a cruise with no tender ports so we don't have to get steamed over how the CD often seems to like making the "priority" pax wait. I know this sounds harsh, but we have been in this position a few too many times and don't appreciate it.

HAL's rewards for 5 stars are great: we like the 2 complimentary Pinnacle dinners, cooking class and spa pass internet package, as well as the 4 star rewards like 50% off Exploration's Cafe. Mini bar, wine packages.

As for the "priority tendering", we prefer a cruise with no tender ports so we don't have to get steamed over how the CD often seems to like making the "priority" pax wait. I know this sounds harsh, but we have been in this position a few too many times and don't appreciate it.

you are not harsh at all - the priority tendering is not a benefit for us. Sounds great - doesn't happen. I stopped living in the dream world and now accept the true facts.

Totally agree - if there are no tender ports - all the better - but sometimes you can't avoid them no matter how small your ship is;) For some unique ports it still remains a necessary evil.

Dh calls the entire process and the tenders we go in - roughers not tenders:D:p

I agree. They actually tell you they are doing you a favor (to avoid delays and are comfortable) by making you wait in the Wajang Theater for a blue tender ticket even though in their instructions they say you don't need a tender ticket. And (as you can see in copy of their actual instruction letter below) this was during "Mariner Appreciation Days", I shutter to think what they would do if they really didn't appreciate us. They actually claimed that this was "priority tendering".:rolleyes:

mqdl.jpg

I would have been much happier if they were just honest with me and said something like:

"We know that HAL has a corporate policy of providing 4 & 5 Star Mariner passengers with "priority tendering"; however, on this cruise we are going to renege on that promise. We feel that all the money we are making off the shore excursion people is more important than any silly ol' corporate commitment to our most loyal customers, so we will herd you 4 & 5 Star Mariners to the tender after we get all the shore excursion people off first.

P.S. Yes we know that we possibly could (depending on weather conditions) open up two tender loading docks and accommodate both groups at the same time; however, that would inconvenience our crew."

smiley-laughing024.gif

I agree. They actually tell you they are doing you a favor (to avoid delays and are comfortable) by making you wait in the Wajang Theater for a blue tender ticket even though in their instructions they say you don't need a tender ticket. And (as you can see in copy of their actual instruction letter below) this was during "Mariner Appreciation Days", I shutter to think what they would do if they really didn't appreciate us. They actually claimed that this was "priority tendering".:rolleyes:

mqdl.jpg

I would have been much happier if they were just honest with me and said something like:

"We know that HAL has a corporate policy of providing 4 & 5 Star Mariner passengers with "priority tendering"; however, on this cruise we are going to renege on that promise. We feel that all the money we are making off the shore excursion people is more important than any silly ol' corporate commitment to our most loyal customers, so we will herd you 4 & 5 Star Mariners to the tender after we get all the shore excursion people off first.

P.S. Yes we know that we possibly could (depending on weather conditions) open up two tender loading docks and accommodate both groups at the same time; however, that would inconvenience our crew."

smiley-laughing024.gif

Hee hee!

Who was the Crusie Director on this cruise? He/she and that department runs the tendering.

On a cruise with a high number of priority pax, it is hard, but it is all about getting the shorex off first, no matter what. This ruins the priority.

Tendering on the Veendam last May was horribly organized. Fortunately we only did it in Bar Harbor--and we weren't in a hurry. I thought that a smaller ship would handle tendering better. Perhaps it was because the CD was new to the ship.

I was reading the World Cruise thread by JohnnyB (John and Diane) and noticed that this World Cruise has had some trouble with the priority tendering being not so "priority" and have solved this by having two tender areas, the one aft for the priority bunch and the fore one for shorex and everyone else.

Having been stuck myself waiting for all the shorex to go first, I think this is a great idea, but then wondered if this is feasible on any cruise other than the World.

The idea of priority tendering is great perk if it is actually prioirty and I have found it usually isn't. So, what is the solution?

Any ideas? Experiences?

Hello,

The only time we had a problem was an un-scheduled tendering. We were scheduled to dock at Tortola as I recall but someone beat us in. Even though we had a S suite we waited for hours as the shoreEx had priority.

Seems the only way to beat the crowd is to join them and book an early excursion.

We take our time leaving the ship anyway.

David

Holland America does not really promise any Mariner benefits, since they can "modify or terminate the Program, or... change the Terms & Conditions of participation and benefits of the Program, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action

I guess technically you are correct; however, check out your website. HAL hasn't changed the "priority tendering" perk. It is still listed as a benefit foe 4 & 5 Star Mariners. If they officially changed and/or deleted it, wouldn't the proper/right thing to do be to note it on their website accordingly? After all according to their Mission Statement they claim to have "Integrity, Honesty and Ethics":

Integrity, honesty and ethics guide Holland America Line on all levels, from individual employees to the company as a whole. We not only do things right, we do the right things.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/about-best-cruise-lines/Main.action?tabName=Mission+%26+Values&WT.ac=footer_Mission

I guess technically you are correct; however, check out your website. HAL hasn't changed the "priority tendering" perk. It is still listed as a benefit foe 4 & 5 Star Mariners. If they officially changed and/or deleted it, wouldn't the proper/right thing to do be to note it on their website accordingly? After all according to their Mission Statement they claim to have "Integrity, Honesty and Ethics":

Integrity, honesty and ethics guide Holland America Line on all levels, from individual employees to the company as a whole. We not only do things right, we do the right things.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/about-best-cruise-lines/Main.action?tabName=Mission+%26+Values&WT.ac=footer_Mission

"in whole or in part." They change the Mariner benefits regularly "in part". No, it is not the right and proper thing to do, but if they had not planned to weasel out of the benefits, they would not have put in the fine print.

Whenever someone asks for better Mariner benefits, remember that they don't always deliver the current benefits.

[quote name='ScriptOhio']FWIW, The Veendam's cruise director was Linda Minnikin.

[IMG]https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash3/c33.33.419.419/s160x160/14650_185034378752_764201_n.jpg[/IMG]

I think she was from England. Anyway she had an English accent.[/QUOTE]

ahhh - that explains part of the problem. I got tired of her toodle doo. I far preferred that she did it than tootle dood if you get my drift.

She was on the EE when we were there the first time. I'll take Gene any day over her.

Archived