question Re: the yukon whitepass railway

BusyBlond

I presume that you are talking about the trains between Skagway and Fraser and the tours that either go on to Carcross or back to Skagway.

If you are not going on to the Yukon (Carcross etc) then you can usually do a PM train up to Fraser and bus back to Skagway - that would be my ideal trip - PM train can have better weather and it is also easier to maintain a slower speed while going uphill.

The longer trips to Carcross leave you only AM uphill or PM downhill trains.

Either way you will want to sit on the left going uphill and on the right downhill

Having done the train twice - at different times of the day - there is really no bad time or bad way to experience this trip.

It mostly comes down to how you want to budget your time.

We found it actually better to do our shopping in town early - hit the ship for lunch - and then do the train trip. Train up, and bus back down. There is nothing quite like looking back down the valley to see how determined those gold prospectors were.

Another plus for us when we did it last year - coming back down on the bus, we got to stop and take pics at various spots. Including the "Welcome to Alaska" sign. We weren't so rushed having to meet a train. We were able to stop along the road to watch a bear from 25 feet away grazing on dandelions. We also got a tour around town a little bit - and it was far more relaxing.

It's a fabulous trip - so just go with what time works for you. Enjoy!

Yes-- I am not sure exactly which trip you are interested in. but, we took a bus up to Fraser and train down in the AM. The advantage of the bus first is that, since the bus travels faster than the train, you leave an hour later in the morning. :p Got to love getting up later.

That's the trip I"m looking and was my reasoning exactly. LOL thought it would be nice to sleep an extra hour or have a leisurely breakfast before we get off and not be trying to be among the first wave. LOL Did you enjoy the trip in this order?

Having done the train twice - at different times of the day - there is really no bad time or bad way to experience this trip.

We found it actually better to do our shopping in town early - hit the ship for lunch - and then do the train trip. Train up, and bus back down. There is nothing quite like looking back down the valley to see how determined those gold prospectors were.

Another plus for us when we did it last year - coming back down on the bus, we got to stop and take pics at various spots. Including the "Welcome to Alaska" sign. We weren't so rushed having to meet a train. We were able to stop along the road to watch a bear from 25 feet away grazing on dandelions. We also got a tour around town a little bit - and it was far more relaxing.

hmmm you make valid points as well, I definately need a pic of me at the "welcome to Alaska" sign. LOL may have to get my rear out of bed early that day.

And you booked this how with cruise or privately..pros & cons of each way :confused:

For the simple scenic trip - using the train and bus with no extra stops like at Liarsville, the Gold Dredge, 40 Below, the Suspension Bridge etc I would use Chilkoot - smaller bus, seperate car on the train (usually way fewer pax) and a driver who will take your pic a the Welcome to Alaska sign. If you want to do any of the above mentioned add ons you would need to use one of the combo tours through the cruise lines.

For the simple scenic trip - using the train and bus with no extra stops like at Liarsville, the Gold Dredge, 40 Below, the Suspension Bridge etc I would use Chilkoot - smaller bus, seperate car on the train (usually way fewer pax) and a driver who will take your pic a the Welcome to Alaska sign. If you want to do any of the above mentioned add ons you would need to use one of the combo tours through the cruise lines.

Yay!! Chikoot is who we decided to book with.

What info am I not seeing...I don't usually care to book anything through the cruiseline...however...White Pass Railroad on train up & back $120 with ship and a 12:40pm departure (a plus)....Chilkoot train up bus back or reverse am & pm depart $123...Same 3.5 total trip time doing the same thing but isn't it a plus takinng the train bothways.:confused::confused:

What info am I not seeing...I don't usually care to book anything through the cruiseline...however...White Pass Railroad on train up & back $120 with ship and a 12:40pm departure (a plus)....Chilkoot train up bus back or reverse am & pm depart $123...Same 3.5 total trip time doing the same thing but isn't it a plus takinng the train bothways.:confused::confused:

I don't see taking the train both ways a plus at all .. same view both times - no stopping ... Different views from a vehicle and the ability to stop for wildlife and photos is a plus.

I don't see taking the train both ways a plus at all .. same view both times - no stopping ... Different views from a vehicle and the ability to stop for wildlife and photos is a plus.

No- actually very different views depending on direction.

Totally up to your preferences. The Lake Bennett is only one way. Round trip White Pass RR doesn't get you into the Yukon. It can be linked up with the Liarsville salmon bake- which many people enjoy. The round trip train trip, is also excellent, different views depending on the direction and a historic gem to enjoy and appreciate- depending on the tourist.

Way too many options, for any to be recommended as "best" in my opinion.

So, has anyone other than Bonvoyagie taken the afternoon train? how did you like it? When I e-mailed them for prices, they only said there was a 7:30 or 8:30 tour, but when I went online to book, there is also a 12:00 train first and a 1:00 bus first. Now I'm debating again. seems like the weather would be better in the afternoon and I wouldn't have to try to be one of the first ones off the ship. Pros/cons of morning train vs. afternoon train? Decisions... Decisons...

Totally up to your preferences. The Lake Bennett is only one way. Round trip White Pass RR doesn't get you into the Yukon. It can be linked up with the Liarsville salmon bake- which many people enjoy. The round trip train trip, is also excellent, different views depending on the direction and a historic gem to enjoy and appreciate- depending on the tourist.

Way too many options, for any to be recommended as "best" in my opinion.

We're on the May 17th sailing (RCI) so Lake Bennett isn't an option until the 29th so we're too early in the season. And unlike many we don't like salmon. So it seems my options are fewer than many. Thanks for your insights on the round trip train as others seem to prefer the train/bus combo...Decisions :confused:

I presume that you are talking about the trains between Skagway and Fraser and the tours that either go on to Carcross or back to Skagway.

If you are not going on to the Yukon (Carcross etc) then you can usually do a PM train up to Fraser and bus back to Skagway - that would be my ideal trip - PM train can have better weather and it is also easier to maintain a slower speed while going uphill.

The longer trips to Carcross leave you only AM uphill or PM downhill trains.

Either way you will want to sit on the left going uphill and on the right downhill

Okay, now I know we'll love the thrill of going downhill by train!:D

For the simple scenic trip - using the train and bus with no extra stops like at Liarsville, the Gold Dredge, 40 Below, the Suspension Bridge etc I would use Chilkoot - smaller bus, separate car on the train (usually way fewer pax) and a driver who will take your pic at the Welcome to Alaska sign. If you want to do any of the above mentioned add ons you would need to use one of the combo tours through the cruise lines.

Now I feel much better about booking this privately! (Especially since they have charged my credit card several months in advance, and there is a cancellation fee!) I decided not to do the cruise ship's tour because I didn't want to take the train both up and down; knowing this private company has its own rail car as well is even better.

So, has anyone other than Bonvoyagie taken the afternoon train? how did you like it? When I e-mailed them for prices, they only said there was a 7:30 or 8:30 tour, but when I went online to book, there is also a 12:00 train first and a 1:00 bus first. Now I'm debating again. seems like the weather would be better in the afternoon and I wouldn't have to try to be one of the first ones off the ship. Pros/cons of morning train vs. afternoon train? Decisions... Decisons...

Yes, I have taken the afternoon trains.

Sorry- but trying to "guess" the weather to hedge your bets is useless.

I plan for full days, and taking into account- ALL my plans so they can be scheduled to my advantage and fit the day the best.

I am off the ships shortly after clearing- my planning.

Archived