Waterford, Ireland.

kayelbee

I have just visited Waterford, Ireland and felt I should give a couple of recommendations of things to do there. Although I was not on a cruise on this occasion I am aware there are a few ships which visit there so thought I would share my experiences.

I thoroughly advise you to visit the Bishops Palace and Medieval Museum. The properties are next to each other, if you are on the Quay, have the river behind you and walk left to the Tower Hotel (good food and drink in the bar!) turn right at the Tower Hotel (Reginalds Tower is opposite and also worth a visit if you have time) Walk for about 250-300 meters and you will see a very large Georgian house up some steps to your right, that is the Bishops Palace and to the right of that building behind the Theatre Royal is the Medieval Museum, entry is €8 (about $10.50 currently) to enter both. They both have guided tours which seem to start on the hour. The Bishops Palace guides are in costume and character and it's a bit like being in a living play and the Medieval Museum guide is dressed but not in character. The Bishops Palace is a gorgeous Georgian house in which the Protestant Bishop lived and it has rooms set out as they would have been, the Medieval Museum includes ancient wine vaults and glorious real gold robes worn by the local archbishops and then hidden away for years. I highly recommend both.

If you are tendering at Dunmore East to visit Waterford please take time to have a look around this gorgeous Irish village and have a drink, or two, in one of the real Irish pubs.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We were in the British Isles on the Celebrity Infinity. Due to high winds and rough seas on Aug. 29, we couldn't tender into Waterford. Our private tour with All Ireland Chauffeur Tours at first would not allow any refund on a prepaid tour. After two emails to them, the person who organized the tour finally got a refund of 200 Euros for 11 people. Each couple paid $143.26. Our refund was only $47.00 per couple. This is certainly unacceptable. We do not recommend All Ireland Chauffeur Tours. A total refund should have been made to us.

Beware of prepaid tours and refund conditions. This is the first time this has happened to us. We do many private tours but none have been prepaid. This tour company was also recommended in Trip Advisor.

Make sure you post a negative report on Tripadvisor.

Companies like this should be driven out of business.

I doubt the authenticity of the Testimonials on their website. The last testimonial states its by 'Martin Cullen TD Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism. What it doesn't mention is that Martin Cullen ceased to be Minister in March 2010 :eek:

• 2 years later...

We visited Waterford in June 2017 on the Prinsendam. We were part of a Cruise Critic group who booked a tour with South Ireland Travel southirelandtravel.com We were met at the pier by our tour guide Eamonn and off we went in a nice mini van. Eamonn was an excellent guide and provided us with a very interesting eight tour of the area around Waterford. Our first stop was at New Ross which has a big connection with the Kennedy family. We then stopped at a restored Abby. Next stop was at a colorful riverside restaurant for scones and tea. Then, it was off to the historical city of Kilkenny. The highlight of this stop was the Kilkenny Castle. Being a good Irishman, Eamonn made sure we visited a colorful Irish Pub to sample some good Irish beer!!! Eamonn is a retired Policeman and knows the area around Waterford extremely well .He did an excellent job of explaining things and thoroughly enjoyed showing off his beautiful Irish countryside. I would highly recommend him for your tour. You can contact Eamonn Coady at sales@southirelandtravel

John Hildebrandt Palm Coast Fl.