Tips for not overpacking

kimark

Going on our 6th RCCL cruise next month. Determined that this cruise will be different and I will not overpack. My DH just smiles when i say that. However, it will be an 8 day cruise with 2 per cruise days. Things I will change for this cruise will be:

- Will not bring full size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant.

- Scheduling specialty restaurants on formal night to avoid bringing formal clothes.

- Coodinating outfits better to cut down on the amount of shoes I bring.

Not sure this can be done but I will try. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have purchased a smaller suitcases. We get 1 each and 1 carry on for the two of us. It works well. We still seem to have a few items too many but not by much.

We do not do formal night which also reduces extra clothing.

Someone told me long ago on here to put everything out you "want " to take on the bed.....THEN..put half of it back !! lol

Have found that to be very true. I come home with half my clothes never used !

I just can't find a way to take that advice yet ! :eek:

I got this tip from the Vivienne Files.com. ALl clothes colors must match or go together, I should say. So if you are wearing mostly blues and greys, let's say, don't throw in a dark brown outfit which would require different shoes and accessories.

So if all your clothes can be mixed and matched without clashing, you need fewer shoes and accessories.

Thanks for the great tips. Coordinating your clothes should help a great deal. There are quite a few things I bring but never use. Think I will try rolling my clothes for packing too. But that may allow me to fit extra clothes in my suitcase so I may try a smaller suitcase.

For the most part, I only travel with a carry-on and a backpack. It doesn't matter if I'm going away for 2 days or a week.

I find the biggest space hog to be shoes. Being smart about footwear will save space. Also, specifically for cruises, formal night is a killer. A mans formal attire will almost require it's own carry-on sized bag.

I see people with multiple enormous bags that require a cart and an assistant. That is perfectly fine and their decision. For me, I like the ease of traveling light (from loading the car, parking, getting to/through the terminal, not checking a bag, off the plane-done, easier to get on the ship, I don't have to wait for my bag to show up, and I just walk off at my leisure at the end of the cruise).

That's what works for me, but I'm a shorts, flip-flops, and t-shirt kind of guy. I throw in some khakis and button ups, just in case.

Another tip, wear your bulky stuff onto the plane. You can always take it off and it won't take up valuable luggage space (ie big sweatshirts, a fleece, etc).

Oh, and by the way, my fiance is the same way. And...she always looks nice and has plenty of clean clothes!

It is OK to wear something twice. Trust me, no one will notice.

We take longer cruises but never pack for more than 7 nights. We make good use of the ship’s laundry service. Light packing and fewer choices really makes getting dressed much quicker and easier.

We do bring formal wear but I may wear the same dress 2 times ( especially if it is a longer cruise with more than 2 formal nights ) and husband will bring just one suit/tux and have a second or third shirt.

I am careful about shoes and other accessories ( like handbags) and don’t worry if the shoes and bag are not “prefect” for the outfit. Honesty last cruise I had a small turquoise bag I used every evening including formal night. It was the first cruise I did not take a dedicated evening bag and the bag I had was fine. I marvel at the posts on the clothing and fashion board and the recommendations for specific shoes for each outfit!

OP - Think back to previous cruises and what you packed and did not wear and eliminate those items

Good luck

M

Not sure where you are going....but for Alaska, we took our thin waterproof jackets with us, but bought the fleece jackets to go under them in Alaska. It seemed like fleece coats were everywhere.

Also for that trip, we did not pack enough jeans on purpose and just sent what jeans we had down to laundry once during the week.

I usually pack 1 pair of black or navy pants and then 5 blouses to go with them. Since we go to Chops 2 times during the week, I repeat the 2 tops I wore to Chops into the MDR again. Plus one pair of black sandals to wear every evening. I haven't packed shoes to go with every outfit for years. We do Chops on formal nights to avoid packing formalwear.

I was able to find travel size for my hair products online or in our local Ulta store. It was a bit more expensive, but nice to just toss in and go.

I still do formal nights, but I make sure my dresses are soft materials that I can roll up. I also stopped bringing heels and prefer a nice pair of flat black sandals that will work for formal nights or fancier casual evenings. I wear my exercise shoes when I embark because they are usually the largest shoes, and throw in a pair of comfortable walking shoes and some flipflops. Ta da, all done.

I usually pack a pair of my shoes inside hubby's shoes...that saves space. Color co ordinating finally worked for me on the Hawaii cruise we took ( which was longer than others ) Black and white went with everything, and I did add one red and white top just so people weren't bored with seeing me coming. LOL

I just finished a 10-day cruise on Celebrity. I'm cheap. Well, I'm frugal. I was determined not to pay airline fees for luggage so I worked at getting everything into two carry-ons, a shoulder "brief case," and a large purse (12" x 12") Usually, we have two 26" bags and two carry-ons. Husband said there was no way I could do it.

First, which I always do, I made up a list of everything I was going to wear each day down to the color of socks. I keep in mind tours (no shorts or sleeveless tops allowed in many churches) weather, etc. I mix and match outfits so I essentially have a different outfit every day. Two columns--day and evening. Then I take that list and list everything by categories--tops, bottoms, accessories, jewelry, shoes, etc. When I go to pack, I take only what is on that list. No "may wants," no "might needs." I may not wear what I have listed for a particular day, but I have outfits outlined for every day.

I do mix and matching and I stick to dark colors that I can spot clean if necessary. I plan to wear everything at least twice. I find that formal night is getting less and less "formal." I'm wearing now what I used to wear in the past for smart casual nights. I did take husbands dark suit but not a sports jacket. I took two pairs of dressy slacks (black and dark beige) which I wore every night unless I was eating in the WJ, then wore whatever I had on during the day. On formal night, I had two dressy tops with a few sparkles that don't wrinkle if you try and light weight. On other nights, I had two light weight nice tops that went with either pair of slacks. I, also, had my "travel" clothes--black slacks with a nice top to work with. Note: The top has padded shoulders. Yes, I know that is passe but it sure makes toting that large purse less painful (lol)

I only took three other pair of shoes. Boat shoes for walking in port, sandals for warm weather, dressy shoes for evening (which fit inside his dress shoes). I wore a pair of nice black shoes that accommodate walking (airport) and nicer than the boat shoes.

In my large purse I had jewelry, important medicine, snacks, paper back book, the quart bag of liquids, other essential make-up, whatever else I would need in transit. In the shoulder bag was the notebook with all our travel information in it, chargers, phone, etc.

I have a third list of non-clothing items that I take on all cruises like sea-sick meds, clock, flash light, wipes, etc.

When I went to pack, I put things in every nook and cranny I could find. Instead of a sack of sea sick and might need medicines, I filled in gaps with one or two items. Instead of underwear in one place, I "scattered" it among other things. Anything small got tucked in somewhere. Found I took up much less room than having it all in one zip lock which I have done in the past. I took zip lock bags to consolidate everything scattered in one place when I unpacked.

While the two suitcases were crammed, we had room to spare in the shoulder bag and purse if we had needed it.

The only drawback was we had to purchase things at Ft. Lauderdale the airlines won't let you carry on like shaving lotions, hair spray, sun tan lotion, sodas and wine. Believe it or not, II managed to cram those in the suitcase but had taken a tote just in case they wouldn't fit. To say the suitcase was buldging would be an understatement. I would not have fit in the "box" at the airport (lol). Husband said the zipper was going to pop. I could have gotten travel sizes of hair spray and shaving lotion but they cost just about the same as the larger size and I had to go to the store anyway for sun tan lotion, wine and soda. Needless to say, we left those for the cabin steward to either use or toss.

The best thing? We had our suitcases with us all the time and never had to worry about them getting lost. Also, it was nice to unpack immediately and not have to wait for them to be delivered to the cabin.

We are doing a trans-Atlantic TA in November and I am pretty sure I can eliminate one 26 inch suit case. Not as critical because we are allowed one suitcase each on international flights but less to worry about.

Sorry to go on so long.

Tucker in Texas

I still do formal nights, but I make sure my dresses are soft materials that I can roll up. I also stopped bringing heels and prefer a nice pair of flat black sandals that will work for formal nights or fancier casual evenings. I wear my exercise shoes when I embark because they are usually the largest shoes, and throw in a pair of comfortable walking shoes and some flipflops. Ta da, all done.

I am with you. Shoes take up too much space. If a warm climate cruise I take a pair of black sandals [usually a wedge], flip flop sandals [brown leather or white], and my sneakers [which I wear--since they take the most room.] I add water shoes depending on the itinerary and our plans. One of these will match any outfit.

My formal night outfit must match the black sandals. Which is not a problem. In fact, all of the clothes I wear to dinner are in the black, white and tourquise range. I limit khaki and brown to capris and shorts. I mix and match the tops, pants and accessories to get several looks. A scarf or two takes up little space and makes a big difference.

I would rather take my snorkel gear than another pair of shoes. :p

I have 3 suitcases already packed for our cruise in 9 days and I don't have any hang up clothes in a suitcase yet. I have one suitcase that just has water/beach stuff in it. Chaise lounge covers, clips, water bag (to keep water cool), snorkle stuff, etc. Another suitcase has misc. stuff in it. The third one has purses, shoes, tux stuff and who knows what else. I did try and colsolidate and took out a pair of binoculars!

We have purchased a smaller suitcases. We get 1 each and 1 carry on for the two of us. It works well. We still seem to have a few items too many but not by much.

We do not do formal night which also reduces extra clothing.

I should have mentioned that our suitcases were 26" in size. We also take snorkel gear, binocluars, Canadian car flag for our balcony, beach bag, towel clips etc... The shoes are the space eaters. I like the tip about putting the wife's shoes inside the hubby's.

We are going on Oasis 2 weeks today and will be gone for 11 days. We are taking my in laws and our DS so there will be 5 of us. We are travelling in 1 car and are 1.5 hours to the airport. No one really likes to pay for airport parking, but for two cars... no thank-you.

The Samsonite factory is 20 minutes from our house and every year they have a factory sale. Items are almost 1/3 of normal cost. So we bought the inlaws 2 suit cases to match ours. We trial fit the suitcases in my Jeep and the picture follows below. It also fits 2 carry ons and leaves room for winter boots, gloves, snow brush and shovel if needed. I hope spring will be here by then though. Now as for no view from the mirror I will have spotters in the back seat for blind spots. The Jeep also has blind spot radar sensors if there is a car not visible.

Needless to say I informed them not to expand their suitcases while packing.

IMG_2194_zps638039ed.jpg

Oh, I totally forgot about the camera, lol. Ok. Be organized! I am envious of people who can only bring a backpack and a carry on but that would never be the case for me. My hair products alone take up too much space. We are cruising the eastern Caribbean, not Alaska, so much lighter to pack. I think I am always bringing extra clothes in case something gets spilled on my outfit but in 5 cruises that has never happened and there is always the ship dry cleaning service anyway. Will layout each outfit for everyday beforehand. Always wear my dress pants twice too but not usually my tops which is kind of foolish as you may only have them on during dinner at Chops. Need to search this forum for a good packing list so not to forget things like my camera.

I had this same problem with our 7 day cruise on the Oasis recently. We had three checked bags and no carry-ons (we flew Southwest, so no baggage fees), and I definitely overpacked. Even with that, though, we did the early departure on disembarking day where we had to roll our own bags off and it really was a breeze for my husband and I, as I was a little worried about that. It was so much nicer keeping our luggage with us, instead of looking for our bags in the terminal before customs.

I personally LOVE the formal nights and I dress up for every evening meal, because we never do it at home, so I had 10 dresses (including 2 long formal) ... why 10? Because I didn't know what I'd be in the mood for ... lol. But something that works perfectly for us is one piece of our luggage is a large garment bag-type luggage which I pack my husband's 3-pc suit, all of his dress shirts, all of my dresses, my pair of heels, dress purses, ties, jewelry, etc. ... Then it folds up and zips up and it is still under the 50# weight limit. I would never believe that all of that fits in one suitcase, but it does. Really, I could do without one of the other checked bags, and will do so next time, because I packed too many shoes and other things not needed. I even packed my own hair dryer, and that was dumb, because there will be one in the room.

IMG_2194_zps638039ed.jpg

I am impressed with this picture. We are going on a repo cruise from San Juan to Baltimore in April. We have a pretty complicated travel plan. We are flying from Richmond to SJU because we could fly Jet Blue cheaply and they let you take a bag free. [it is our closest airport]

No problem getting to the airport-- we are all being dropped off by a relative with a BIG trunk. However, in Baltimore we will be driving our Camry back home. [luggage for 4] UGH!!

I am impressed with this picture. We are going on a repo cruise from San Juan to Baltimore in April. We have a pretty complicated travel plan. We are flying from Richmond to SJU because we could fly Jet Blue cheaply and they let you take a bag free. [it is our closest airport]

No problem getting to the airport-- we are all being dropped off by a relative with a BIG trunk. However, in Baltimore we will be driving our Camry back home. [luggage for 4] UGH!!

Thanks for the compliment. No bags at feet or on laps either, other than the ladies purses. This picture was taken in August of last year, so we are forward thinkers. The funny thing is we fly exec so we can take more bags, we just don't want to. I have a feeling you might have to lean on your trunk to get it shut. Years ago I could say been there done that, because it would be true. ;)

April in Baltimore, could you wear shorts and sandals for the drive home? That way you could avoid some extra clothes.

I, for one, would rather pack something and not wear it that to not have it and wish I would have packed it. I never had a space issue, it's always a weight issue for me. We always do B2B cruises so just packing a carry-on won't work--even though I can get 40 pounds of clothes in a carry-on. I put every thing in 2 1/2 gallon plastic bags and press the air out of them. Doing that totally takes away the wrinkle factor and lets me pack tight. We're sailing on the Enchantment April 1st and April 13th and I'll back 3 28" spinner luggage and one carry-on. We're flying Southwest airlines and don't have to worry about the luggage fees--other wise I'd get rid of the third spinner. Here is a link that shows how I got 40 pounds of clothes in my carry-on:

Here is a problem I ran into on our last Trans-Atlantic in November 2012. We were on Lufthansa. Lufthansa limits your carry-on to 20 pounds! I packed DH's suit, ONE of his size 12 shoes with my shoe inside it (other shoe was going into other carry-on) a dress shirt, a tie, my black silk pants, one glitzy top, jammies, change of underwear, essential toiletries, one set of fresh clothes for both of us and guess what? Suitcase was half full but weighed 23 pounds! I ended up carrying my toiletries in my purse (it's a large one) and put his dress shoes in the checked bag praying it would take the same itinerary we were taking. Of course, his suit was seriously wrinkled when we got on the ship because it rattled around the half filled suitcase. Thank goodness we had free pressing.

And, yes, they did weigh it at the airport. So check with the airlines because Lufthansa isn't the only one doing it. Mostly foreign carriers. Also, their "box" is smaller than the ones in the US. Some 22" suitcases won't fit because of the wheels.

Tucker in Texas

Archived