Lectures

Tucruisers

Just returned from Navigator (very good) 10 day Eastern Carribean cruise. One negative was that on past sailings we have enjoyed guest lecturers talking about the area of the cruise. In this case the topics of the lectures were Afghanistan and the Middle East which seemed incongruous as we we were cruising in an unrelated area of rich and fascinating history, politics and geography. So that was a bit of a let down for us and a puzzle as few others seemed interested. Why not relate the lectures to the cruise? Seems obvious, maybe we miss something?

This doesn't really answer your question, but I can say that the scheduled lecture for Navigator's Caribbean season was due to be Mitch Symons, a highly entertaining author of books such as:

Why Can't Girls Throw,

Do Igloos Have Loos,

Don't Wipe your Bum With A Hedgehog,

Where do Nudists keep Their Hankies,

And many others , some of which have won awards.

Not exactly a purveyor of information about the area's rich history, but would keep you amused for hours.

However, he was taken ill at the last minute and presumably Regent had to find a replacement and your lecturer on the Middle East may have been the only one available. You could have had Edwina Curry. She is doing cruise ships with her revelations about John Major and Salmonella. :eek:

Most of the 7 to 10 night, port-intensive cruises I've taken haven't had lecturers. Unless there are a lot of sea days, most cruises don't have the time for guest lectures. On those 7 to 10 night cruises, on sea days there may be wine tastings or boutique and jewelry lectures. Those short cruises seem to use staff already on board to cover time.

Is the lecturer information generally available in advance of embankment? Curious about lecturer opportunities on our Med cruise in April.

If you are sailing on Mariner of the Seas, this is not a Regent ship. Loads of people make this mistake...... Regent's ship is "Regent Seven Seas Mariner". Just wanted to let you know:)

I am not sure if the lecture information is available beforehand, but just to say I did a very similar cruise last April 10 days Barcelona to Istanbul one sea day. On board were guest speakers - a husband and wife team who's topics were Volcano's and star gazing ( the ones in the sky!) Never got chance to go to the lectures though - too much to do and see. Maybe see you on board very soon on the Seven Seas Mariner.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I can say that the scheduled lecture for Navigator's Caribbean season was due to be Mitch Symons, a highly entertaining author of books such as:

Why Can't Girls Throw,

Do Igloos Have Loos,

Don't Wipe your Bum With A Hedgehog,

Where do Nudists keep Their Hankies,

And many others , some of which have won awards.

Not exactly a purveyor of information about the area's rich history, but would keep you amused for hours.

However, he was taken ill at the last minute and presumably Regent had to find a replacement and your lecturer on the Middle East may have been the only one available. You could have had Edwina Curry. She is doing cruise ships with her revelations about John Major and Salmonella. :eek:

HO HO Tom - we did have Edwina on TA cruise on Regent a while back...she regaled us with many tales and packed the theatre. She skirted round any mention of salmonella though...

I am not sure if the lecture information is available beforehand, but just to say I did a very similar cruise last April 10 days Barcelona to Istanbul one sea day. On board were guest speakers - a husband and wife team who's topics were Volcano's and star gazing ( the ones in the sky!) Never got chance to go to the lectures though - too much to do and see. Maybe see you on board very soon on the Seven Seas Mariner.

I was on that trip as well. We started in Florida and the astronomy lecturer was excellent. He was such a hard act to follow and I'm afraid that as nice as they were, the couple you're talking about were just not as dynamic.

We also had a fellow who lectured about the Opera. Oh my, was he funny; I thought some folks in the audience would pass out from laughing.

I do enjoy a variety of lecturers. International events are particularly interesting to me and I like to be able to ask questions. We get such a limited view of world events in the US news reports. Even our venerable evening broadcasters might spend two minutes on the European Union and then devote five minutes to the size of Kim Kardashian's pants.

Archived