Epic not stopping in Nassau?

racnwdow

Me being a person that worked onboard NCL for over 5 years, this kind of things happens from time to time. Also the reason why the Epic does not go to GSC is because it has all Lifeboats and none are certified for Tendering Passengers for non-emergancy situations. Next time you walk the decks and look at the Lifeboats and Tenders they are constructed differantly.

They tender in the Mediterrean, Cannes.

Edit: Oops, sorry.

I am guessing those were contracted tenders and not from the ship. As noted earlier, Epic does not have tenders (I don't know if this is true or not). I doubt there are any tenders at GSC unless they come from the ship.

GSC has it's own fleet of tender boats. They are re-purposed and re-woworked lifeboats from the SS Norway.

ry%3D400

The Getaway does not have GSC on any itineraries, it will be doing the route Epic is currently sailing (eastern Caribbean).

At GSC they use tenders that are not life boats. The are more like WW II beach landing crafts where the front drops down and you walk off the front.

If Breakaway can tender at GSC I don't see why Epic and Getaway would not be able to.

One of my few complaints of our 2 Epic cruises was the fact there are only 3 ports. Most other NCL cruises to the Caribbean out of Miami have 4 ports of call.

The Getaway does not have GSC on any itineraries, it will be doing the route Epic is currently sailing (eastern Caribbean).

At GSC they use tenders that are not life boats. The are more like WW II beach landing crafts where the front drops down and you walk off the front.

If Breakaway can tender at GSC I don't see why Epic and Getaway would not be able to.

One of my few complaints of our 2 Epic cruises was the fact there are only 3 ports. Most other NCL cruises to the Caribbean out of Miami have 4 ports of call.

I meant the Breakaway.

That does seem strange ! However, I hope they DO miss it when we sail on the Epic! Maybe they could go to the GSC instead? Anyone know why last week's sailing didn't go there instead?

It was disappointing but I have to give the Capt. credit. He was down in guest services dealing with the yelling, screaming and in one case crying passengers!

I was shocked to see him there when I went to pick up a revised daily! He walked right over to me and said "I am so sorry we are missing our stop today. I have never seen this happen in all the years I have been sailing. The Epic is here every Friday. We tried to add a different port at the last minute but with the size of the ship and the amount of passengers we could not do it. We would only have 3 hours on our private island and it wouldn't be worth even stoppping for that by the time we got all the passengers off!

Why would any rational human being yell, scream or cry about missing a port? I want to grab and shake people like that sometimes. I once saw a violently angry post from a woman who had planned some event in a port and the weather was too bad to dock. To the board's credit, the general consensus was "sorry, but it was stupid to put that much trust in a ship's ability to visit"

We missed Costa Maya on our Epic cruise due to weather. We coped with it by riding water slides in the rain. :)

Why would any rational human being yell, scream or cry about missing a port? I want to grab and shake people like that sometimes. I once saw a violently angry post from a woman who had planned some event in a port and the weather was too bad to dock. To the board's credit, the general consensus was "sorry, but it was stupid to put that much trust in a ship's ability to visit"

We missed Costa Maya on our Epic cruise due to weather. We coped with it by riding water slides in the rain. :)

Sadly, not everyone who climbs aboard a cruise ship is rational. I've also seen my share of insane guests screaming at the staff for things which were totally out of the control of any human being. Utterly insane. I also have to fight the urge to grab and shake them. It' wouldn't be pretty. :eek:

I'm with you Mike. I don't get some people. One person on the cruise apparently had planned to go to her daughter's wedding in Nassau. Oops. Really bad planning. If it wasn't for missing Nassau, I might not have done the slides or had a lovely lunch with my wife and then hang out in Posh with our new friends.

It was disappointing but I have to give the Capt. credit. He was down in guest services dealing with the yelling, screaming and in one case crying passengers!

I was shocked to see him there when I went to pick up a revised daily! He walked right over to me and said "I am so sorry we are missing our stop today. I have never seen this happen in all the years I have been sailing. The Epic is here every Friday. We tried to add a different port at the last minute but with the size of the ship and the amount of passengers we could not do it. We would only have 3 hours on our private island and it wouldn't be worth even stoppping for that by the time we got all the passengers off!

I hate seeing the crew abused for something that is beyond their control. Not cool at all. Why on earth would someone be crying?!!

I'm with you Mike. I don't get some people. One person on the cruise apparently had planned to go to her daughter's wedding in Nassau. Oops. Really bad planning. If it wasn't for missing Nassau, I might not have done the slides or had a lovely lunch with my wife and then hang out in Posh with our new friends.

NEVER EVER plan a wedding at a port on a cruise ship

Every month the local news here in Miami has a story of a wedding that never happened because some port was missed or the ship had a deferred route.

It really says something about Nassau. Totally over crowded, packed and not worth it let alone getting off at 12:30 pm

Sadly, not everyone who climbs aboard a cruise ship is rational. I've also seen my share of insane guests screaming at the staff for things which were totally out of the control of any human being. Utterly insane. I also have to fight the urge to grab and shake them. It' wouldn't be pretty. :eek:

I witnessed some fine examples of poor behavior on Friday morning shortly after the Nassau announcement. The one thing I will remember for a long time was the captains announcement and how he emphasized it was not the crews fault and repeatedly asked that people not take-it-out on the crew. It must be a difficult position to be in, operating a cruise ship requires that many things work properly with many beyond your control - but when you're in the drivers seat you're responsible for all of them.

I can understand crying over that - I really can ... but ... like you said, that was REALLY bad planning. Maybe they have never been on a cruise before, and just figured it would be the easiest way to get to Nassau. Sometimes, a cruise is cheaper than flying.

We will be on this cruise in a 47 days, and I must say that Nassau is not really the place I'm looking forward to the most, but I would be a little upset to miss it because my family has never been. I'm not the usually the type of person who pays for the ship, I pay for the ports. This time I paid for both If you get what I mean. That being said. I wouldn't cry, scream or flip out on the crew. It's not their fault. Bleep happens.

We actually don't mind less desirable ports, for us it's Port Canaveral. At these ports many people still get off the ship, there is no ship movement and less wind. We have had sea days with pools closed and activities cancelled due to high seas. Makes a great ship day without all the hype of a sea day. Nassau we go to the beach so we have no problem with this port.

I have to jump on the "I'm upset because we missed Nassau port" bandwagon. Hubby was really mad :mad: because he couldn't stand the crowded pool decks.

I understand that Nassau is probably a bit crowded and funky but I wanted to see it and I thought I paid to visit short of a hurricane.

(Now searching for a smaller, luxurious cruiseline):rolleyes:

I have to jump on the "I'm upset because we missed Nassau port" bandwagon. Hubby was really mad :mad: because he couldn't stand the crowded pool decks.

I understand that Nassau is probably a bit crowded and funky but I wanted to see it and I thought I paid to visit short of a hurricane.

Really? Have fun on Regency. They probably miss ports now and then as well.

I have seen several posts that Epic has missed Nassau because of over crowding. I understand missing it because of weather issues. I just don't understand how you can be denied docking at a port you go to every week. They should know who is coming each day. Did Epic forget to call dibsy's?

I was on the ship last week when it happened. The captain came on around 8am and said "we are one of 3 ships who are unable to dock in nassau due to an error made on their end" more or less. They tried getting us into freeport with no luck and I believe that GSC is too shallow. They gave out free rum punch all day and refunded our port fees. It sucked but not much we can do if it was on their end. I would like a better explanation.

Funny!! You think the ports won't close to a smaller, luxurious cruise ship? If the port says no, you don't get in!! You pay to visit wherever the ship is allowed to dock and can do so safely. As stated on here a half dozen times in this post, the port closed to Epic. Epic did not decide to not stop.

Archived