Epic not stopping in Nassau?

racnwdow

I have seen several posts that Epic has missed Nassau because of over crowding. I understand missing it because of weather issues. I just don't understand how you can be denied docking at a port you go to every week. They should know who is coming each day. Did Epic forget to call dibsy's?

That does seem strange ! However, I hope they DO miss it when we sail on the Epic! Maybe they could go to the GSC instead? Anyone know why last week's sailing didn't go there instead?

We did not go last week, the Feb. 22. We did not go anywhere else, it was an additional sea day.

We did not go last week, the Feb. 22. We did not go anywhere else, it was an additional sea day.

Did you hear the Captain announce that "3" ships couldn't dock? I thought it was odd and when I got home I went to see who was scheduled.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Bahamas/455-Nassau/February_2013/

With the above schedule...I can not imagine that.

Missing a port is common and I would not complain for that reason only. It happens. I just thought it was odd that we were bumped when that is their normal itinerary and that the Captain made that statement.

Did you hear the Captain announce that "3" ships couldn't dock? I thought it was odd and when I got home I went to see who was scheduled.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Bahamas/455-Nassau/February_2013/

With the above schedule...I can not imagine that.

Missing a port is common and I would not complain for that reason only. It happens. I just thought it was odd that we were bumped when that is their normal itinerary and that the Captain made that statement.

All I can add is that the captain made if very very clear that the issue was the result of an error made by the Nassau Port Authority and there were absolutely no options for the Epic to visit the port that day. That's what the passengers are told but it's obvious there's more to the story.

Many people may not agree with me but 4 sea days in a 7 day cruise too much. If they only confirmed their schedule a day early we could have least stayed later in the day at St Thomas.

All I can add is that the captain made if very very clear that the issue was the result of an error made by the Nassau Port Authority and there were absolutely no options for the Epic to visit the port that day. That's what the passengers are told but it's obvious there's more to the story.

Many people may not agree with me but 4 sea days in a 7 day cruise too much. If they only confirmed their schedule a day early we could have least stayed later in the day at St Thomas.

I agree 110%!

I personally believe there is more to the story than we were told. NCL travels this route every Friday, it just seems odd to me. From a customer service standpoint, they should have at the very least offered a free soda to everyone, something...nothing to me is unacceptable. I agree 4 sea days on a 7day cruise is a bit much!

That does seem strange ! However, I hope they DO miss it when we sail on the Epic! Maybe they could go to the GSC instead? Anyone know why last week's sailing didn't go there instead?

Epic will never tender at GSC. The tender process would be insane with over 4300 passengers!!!! The island would be overly crowded too. I dont like Nassau but would hate for the ship to miss the port. I like staying on an empty ship. A full day with crowds and cranky passengers. NO WAY!

Epic will never tender at GSC. The tender process would be insane with over 4300 passengers!!!! The island would be overly crowded too. I dont like Nassau but would hate for the ship to miss the port. I like staying on an empty ship. A full day with crowds and cranky passengers. NO WAY!

The courtyard pool area was full with children and the posh area was overcrowded. I have cruised prior on this ship and the posh area was never so full. I walked in one afternoon and I thought there was a private party going on. My intention was to enjoy a quiet day on the ship and finally have an empty posh or courtyard pool area. Unfortunately that never happened. Next time I will buy a posh pass like many did and get a balcony.We never got a letter in the room until the afternoon. I think they made announcements before we even left the room very early. We found out from another passenger.

I personally believe there is more to the story than we were told. NCL travels this route every Friday, it just seems odd to me. From a customer service standpoint, they should have at the very least offered a free soda to everyone, something...nothing to me is unacceptable. I agree 4 sea days on a 7day cruise is a bit much!

I think the captains statements regarding blame were for the benefit of his crew more than anyone else as many passengers were taking out their frustrations on the crew when they heard the news.

They were serving free rum punch at the waves bar for a few hours on Friday afternoon, I figured this was a result of the itinerary change.

The courtyard pool area was full with children and the posh area was overcrowded. I have cruised prior on this ship and the posh area was never so full. I walked in one afternoon and I thought there was a private party going on. My intention was to enjoy a quiet day on the ship and finally have an empty posh or courtyard pool area. Unfortunately that never happened. Next time I will buy a posh pass like many did and get a balcony.We never got a letter in the room until the afternoon. I think they made announcements before we even left the room very early. We found out from another passenger.

Yes I heard your cruise was going to be FULL of kids

I have seen the courtyard pools full of kids and the teenagers ruled the hot tubs in the Haevn during the xmas week 2010

The Haven on Epic does not keep you away from the crowds like other NCL ships

It really wasn't bad on the Nassau sea day. We planned to hit the slides and do things we couldn't do on a crowded ship. Guess what, we hit the slides had a great lunch, did some shopping, all the things we planned. I did not find this ship crowded until debarkation which was a nightmare. Maybe because we are new to NCL. If it is usually even better than this, I am really hooked.

So with a capacity over 4K why is the Breakaway going to GSC?

Before anyone screams for compensation, this is not an NCL issue! Check threads on the Celebrity and Royal forums as well. They have ships being bumped in Nassau too. Something weird is going on. I have no idea how you could overschedule a port.

Its not a compensation issue for us and I really don't care who is responsible for the missed port, it is what it is.

We had a great time on our second Epic cruise but now that I'm home and I look back at the whole 8 day vacation I see that it just wasn't good value based on the cost. I realize NCL was probably not at fault in any way but they are the company providing the vacation experience and have to compete outside the cruise industry for my vacation dollar.

Its not a compensation issue for us and I really don't care who is responsible for the missed port, it is what it is.

We had a great time on our second Epic cruise but now that I'm home and I look back at the whole 8 day vacation I see that it just wasn't good value based on the cost. I realize NCL was probably not at fault in any way but they are the company providing the vacation experience and have to compete outside the cruise industry for my vacation dollar.

Me being a person that worked onboard NCL for over 5 years, this kind of things happens from time to time. Also the reason why the Epic does not go to GSC is because it has all Lifeboats and none are certified for Tendering Passengers for non-emergancy situations. Next time you walk the decks and look at the Lifeboats and Tenders they are constructed differantly.

The Epic did have tender stops in Europe last year.

That's right

How did they go?

We were in Europe last Oct. Epic anchored at Cannes and the tendering was so painless - they used at least 6 lifeboats as tenders and they were going forward and backwards. The rides were smooth.

Personally I like tender rides - like the feel of the ocean and the boats drop us off so close to places we want to see/walk. Beats walking the long dock/pier on hot and humid days!!

We were in Europe last Oct. Epic anchored at Cannes and the tendering was so painless - they used about 5 tenders and they were going forward and backwards. The rides were smooth.

I am guessing those were contracted tenders and not from the ship. As noted earlier, Epic does not have tenders (I don't know if this is true or not). I doubt there are any tenders at GSC unless they come from the ship.

Archived