Epic not stopping in Nassau?

racnwdow

Funny!! You think the ports won't close to a smaller, luxurious cruise ship? If the port says no, you don't get in!! You pay to visit wherever the ship is allowed to dock and can do so safely. As stated on here a half dozen times in this post, the port closed to Epic. Epic did not decide to not stop.

I just have to respond yet again to a comment like this. I don't care who's fault it was, Norwegian is the company selling the vacation experience that failed to deliver. Most people accept weather and other similar acts of nature but that's now what happened here.

If we don't like it we can always choose something else for our next vacation.

I was on the ship last week when it happened. The captain came on around 8am and said "we are one of 3 ships who are unable to dock in nassau due to an error made on their end" more or less. They tried getting us into freeport with no luck and I believe that GSC is too shallow. They gave out free rum punch all day and refunded our port fees. It sucked but not much we can do if it was on their end. I would like a better explanation.

sounds like a pretty good explanation to me.

I just have to respond yet again to a comment like this. I don't care who's fault it was, Norwegian is the company selling the vacation experience that failed to deliver. Most people accept weather and other similar acts of nature but that's now what happened here.

Stuff happens. Sometimes it's weather, sometimes it's political unrest, and sometimes a person makes a mistake. If you want guarantees pick a different kind of vacation

So the port's closed, what would you have them do? Tell the Port of Nassau to back off and wedge the Epic in between other ships?

Again, the port is closed to the Epic and 2 other ships, the port authority told the ships that they CANNOT dock that day. It is what it is, how is it the cruise operators' fault?

The only things that failed were the angry passengers lack of understanding of how the shipping industry works and the same passengers not reading their cruise contract.

Stuff happens. Sometimes it's weather, sometimes it's political unrest, and sometimes a person makes a mistake. If you want guarantees stay home.

There, I fixed that for you Mike. ;)

There are never guarantees when it comes to travelling, cruise or otherwise.

sounds like a pretty good explanation to me.

Its obviously not the ships fault but an explanation about how 3 ships missed port that day would be nice. We made the best of the day and it didn't bother us too much but there is clearly more to the issue than simply overbooking by 3 ships. I thought maybe weather was bad somewhere else and they let ships in that weren't supposed to be there without realizing? I don't really know

It sounds a bit odd not letting 3 ships in, does anyone know who the other ships were?

Sounds like there was at least some compensation but it would have been good to have known the full story.

I was on the Epic that had the revised Hurricane Earl itinerary in August 2010 which was Cozumel, Roatan and Nassau and sure I wasn't happy at missing St Thomas and St Maarten as I had plans to do things there but I made the best out of it and we ended up having more time in Nassau which was perfect for the Blue Lagoon experience I had booked.

The Getaway does not have GSC on any itineraries, it will be doing the route Epic is currently sailing (eastern Caribbean).

At GSC they use tenders that are not life boats. The are more like WW II beach landing crafts where the front drops down and you walk off the front.

If Breakaway can tender at GSC I don't see why Epic and Getaway would not be able to.

One of my few complaints of our 2 Epic cruises was the fact there are only 3 ports. Most other NCL cruises to the Caribbean out of Miami have 4 ports of call.

i agree. i always feel we are being ripped off on this 3 port eastern carib itinerary-(Nassau, St, maarten, and st. thomas). been there, done that. change it up a little already. and St. Thomas has become so overcrowded now it is no longer enjoyable. they really should add a 4th port. i myself am a little preferential to western itinerary with at least 4 ports.

I dont think NCL or any cruise line is going to make things up over such a freak occurance. The Bahamas lost lots of revenue from port fees and let alone all the passengers shopping and taking excursions. They would have done everything possible to get the ship into port. Very rare incident since usually weather or medical emergency are most common reasons for missing a port. Nothing NCL could have done. And the cruise contract covers such incidents.

However, I think it is healthy for the passengers to vent and get it all out. I always stay on the ship in Nassau. The ship was full of children and those children were angry or sad about missing swimming with the dolphins or Atlantis, etc. Those angry children make angry parents. To make things worse, it happened on the LAST day of the cruise. If you miss the first port, all is forgotten by the end of the cruise. Lots of angry or miserable people on a boat does not create the ideal cruising experience. Let them vent their frustrations.

And we'll miss you!! Failed to deliver what? You got a 7 day cruise, food and all the ports that were available. As was said, do you think they should have pulled into the port without permission?

Stuff happens. Sometimes it's weather, sometimes it's political unrest, and sometimes a person makes a mistake. If you want guarantees pick a different kind of vacation

I'm not looking for any guarantees but rather comparing the value of the overall vacation experience to others. I mix land and sea vacations and recognize both offer different things.

In this case the port was missed and that impacted our experience in a negative way (among other things). The overall 8 day vacation for 4 cost just over $15k and when I compare that to other vacations it just doesn't rate.

I was ready to book the Pride of America in Hawaii but I think we'll skip the cruise and see the islands on our own.

For me it wasn't missing Nassau that made me mad. I have missed ports because of weather a few times. It happens...and it's in the contract that they can change the itinerary for any reason as they please.

People should be allowed to post their discontent! People have the right to show displeasure! Paying for a 7 day vacation that you only get into port 2 times is frustrating. EVERYONE has different views on what they want out of a vacation.

So the port's closed, what would you have them do? Tell the Port of Nassau to back off and wedge the Epic in between other ships?

Again, the port is closed to the Epic and 2 other ships, the port authority told the ships that they CANNOT dock that day. It is what it is, how is it the cruise operators' fault?

The only things that failed were the angry passengers lack of understanding of how the shipping industry works and the same passengers not reading their cruise contract.

The port was not closed, according the captain there was no berth available and no other way for EPIC to visit Nassau. I think NCL tried hard to find alternatives but ultimately came up empty and decided on a 4th sea day.

I don't think it was NCL's fault at all but that doesn't really matter, regardless of who is to blame it still impacts the overall vacation and I bought the vacation from NCL - like it or not.

Passengers not understanding the inner workings of the cruise industry and the cruise contract has nothing to do with this, neither one requires me to be a repeat customer.

And we'll miss you!! Failed to deliver what? You got a 7 day cruise, food and all the ports that were available. As was said, do you think they should have pulled into the port without permission?

Why get so nasty? I can understand you're a strong advocate for NCL but surely you don't expect everyone to agree with you. If you actually take the time to read you would see that although I had a good vacation and we certainly enjoyed ourselves it just wasn't worth what I paid for it, its a question of value.

i agree. i always feel we are being ripped off on this 3 port eastern carib itinerary-(Nassau, St, maarten, and st. thomas). been there, done that. change it up a little already. and St. Thomas has become so overcrowded now it is no longer enjoyable. they really should add a 4th port. i myself am a little preferential to western itinerary with at least 4 ports.

I feel exactly the same way! But you know what? I have not and never will sail this itinerary for that reason. Open your eyes. There are whole bunch of other itineraries, ships and cruiselines for that matter.

If I have an urge for a three-stopper, I can do that on a Sky 4-day cruise at half the price!

Why get so nasty? I can understand you're a strong advocate for NCL but surely you don't expect everyone to agree with you. If you actually take the time to read you would see that although I had a good vacation and we certainly enjoyed ourselves it just wasn't worth what I paid for it, its a question of value.

I am a strong advocate of NCL...and I was on your sailing and had the same experience as you. Unfortunately this happened. Unfortunately we spent plenty of money too. I would urge you to try the Havens on the Jewel Pearl or Gem. AMAZING experiences...all of them.

I guess I'm one of the crazy people who LIKE Nassau. I like to do a little shopping, get a little local food and then get back on the boat to enjoy everyone else being off the boat! I guess that would be more upsetting to me, the crowds still on the boat!

The overall 8 day vacation for 4 cost just over $15k and when I compare that to other vacations it just doesn't rate.

I was ready to book the Pride of America in Hawaii but I think we'll skip the cruise and see the islands on our own.

Wow 15K for one cruise.... We did 5 cruises last year and didnt even spend half that

We have been to Hawaii many times over the years but we really liked the POA way to see the islands.

Its great for being able sample each island than plan a land vaca if you want to stay on a paticular island in the future

If you are going to do it on your own you need at least 2-3 days per island than all the airport transfers is a PITA

Back to the original thread. I wouldnt be upset if we missed Nassau but it was nice to have the slides to ourselfs while everyone else was on shore.

For me it wasn't missing Nassau that made me mad. I have missed ports because of weather a few times. It happens...and it's in the contract that they can change the itinerary for any reason as they please.

People should be allowed to post their discontent! People have the right to show displeasure! Paying for a 7 day vacation that you only get into port 2 times is frustrating. EVERYONE has different views on what they want out of a vacation.

I agree that people should be able to vent, but I just wish people will direct their frustrations at the proper place.

I do agree that having only 2 ports on a 7 days cruise is not good at all.

The port was not closed, according the captain there was no berth available and no other way for EPIC to visit Nassau. I think NCL tried hard to find alternatives but ultimately came up empty and decided on a 4th sea day.

I don't think it was NCL's fault at all but that doesn't really matter, regardless of who is to blame it still impacts the overall vacation and I bought the vacation from NCL - like it or not.

Passengers not understanding the inner workings of the cruise industry and the cruise contract has nothing to do with this, neither one requires me to be a repeat customer.

The port was closed to the Epic, as I understand it the Port of Nassau is not equip to handle the tendering process for 3 mega ships.

I also understand why you would be frustrated because I wouldn't have been too pleased about the situation neither. It just came across that while you said you realize it's not the cruise operator's fault, you still put the blame on them because that's who you purchased the vacation from.

Would you feel differently if you purchased the vacation from a travel agent? The bit about not requiring you to be a repeat customer kind of threw me off, a repeat customer for NCL or just a not cruising in the future?

I agree that people should be able to vent, but I just wish people will direct their frustrations at the proper place.

I do agree that having only 2 ports on a 7 days cruise is not good at all.

The port was closed to the Epic, as I understand it the Port of Nassau is not equip to handle the tendering process for 3 mega ships.

I also understand why you would be frustrated because I wouldn't have been too pleased about the situation neither. It just came across that while you said you realize it's not the cruise operator's fault, you still put the blame on them because that's who you purchased the vacation from.

Would you feel differently if you purchased the vacation from a travel agent? The bit about not requiring you to be a repeat customer kind of threw me off, a repeat customer for NCL or just a not cruising in the future?

I know this thread is about missing Nassau but in our case (and some others agree) the port issue just compounded a separate issue we had in the Haven where there were just too many people for the outdoor spaces, too many chair hogs, and no way to enjoy the sun on a sea day - so when a 4th sea day was added it had a huge negative impact.

Sailed the Epic on 1/26. Nassau was way crowded when we were there. The amount of people cramming through that little terminal was horrible. Not quite as bad getting back on, but still the worst of any port we visited. When we were in Nassau they were dredging one the the berths. Not sure if this was part of the problem or not.

I know this thread is about missing Nassau but in our case (and some others agree) the port issue just compounded a separate issue we had in the Haven where there were just too many people for the outdoor spaces, too many chair hogs, and no way to enjoy the sun on a sea day - so when a 4th sea day was added it had a huge negative impact.

Ahh I see.

Did you get a chance to use the forward section of the very top deck? Was that busy with other Haven guests as well?

The Epic is definitely not a quiet ship especially during spring break, I love what the ship offers but I also can't say I wouldn't prefer one of the Jewel class ships in the long run simply because there are so much more quiet space.

Ahh I see.

Did you get a chance to use the forward section of the very top deck? Was that busy with other Haven guests as well?

The Epic is definitely not a quiet ship especially during spring break, I love what the ship offers but I also can't say I wouldn't prefer one of the Jewel class ships in the long run simply because there are so much more quiet space.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1795922

Reading about how crowded and slow process it is to get out of the port, I am wondering if I should cancel my Atlantis Aquaventure tour as it's costing $150 pp and who knows we might have to tender on our cruise which will take away an hour or so of already short time we have there.:mad:

Archived