sharing beverage cards

Sultan-- Sorry, I was being sarcastic. My point -- which I guess I didn't make-- is that if people get so concerned checking up on their fellow cruisers they will miss out on the reason THEY are there -- to enjoy their crusie. Some people on these threads just seem to get so wrapped up in trying to make sure everyone on the ship is doing things the way they think they should be done. Forget about it. Enjoy the cruise.

Did not mean to offend you. I thought I could fight sarcasm with the same! However, I took advantage of your post to give you real info about the "FULL" crossing that you will be doing based on our experience. BTW, the little decks at the back of ship are great places to watch the lock gates open and close when the ship enters the canal from the Pacific side (Mirrellees Lock). And any deck Dolphin or below is great for the exit locks (Gatun Locks). It is truly a terrific cruise. We are now signed up for Baltic in Sep. Took the Coral on the Coastal in May. Enjoy! /Sultan

I want to say that I don't think everyone on here "worries" about what others do around them and watch them like hawks. What bothers some are what others have said in this board. I don't notice what others do around me that much, so I wouldn't notice if someone was sharing a drink card. What bothers me is what people have said on here to justify doing dishonest activities.

I don't police others or watch and worry about them while on vacation. I do get upset when I hear others doing things that end up affecting me and others negavitely.

Why would someone NOT get upset or bothered when someone openly admits to stealing from the same company you are doing business with?

• 2 weeks later...
Soda is free in the dining room for kids UNDER 12. It states so on their web page.

hmmm!

My girls are 10 & 12- guess it didnt matter for me, since they had the card. The soda girl did ask to see their cards though.

Its for fountain soda-- BUt I would take that bill and a copy of the carnival FAQ and send it along and ask what the heck was that charge for?

A can of soda will be cahrged for-- a cup of soda will be free. If you knew they are gonna be for free....you coulda stated that to the person. Now you know for the next time--

OR MAYBE--- its different in the summer??

I have used the soda card myself and there is no reason to have to pay for soda, especially if you paid for the soda card. I usually just placed my card by my plate and soda was brought promptly as was refills. They don't usually give it to you in the can. When I was nearing the end of dinner, they quickly new that if was my desire to take a glass with me. Outside, of course, they would use the plastic cups. One thing they do not do is to honor the card in your stateroom.

There is always SOMETHING "free" to drink - usually iced tea etc.

Interestingly all the cruises I have been on have offered FREE fruit juices, V8 etc and Milk at all meals - makes me wonder how THAT can be cheeper than pumping soda out of the soda fountain?????

Question - what's the deal with bringing a few sodas back on board after a shore excursion. I'm NOT trying to bend the rules, but I am pregnant and find that Gatoraid helps my nausea and re-hydrates me after dreaded bouts of morning sickness. (Sorry TMI ;)) I am PRETTY sure that NCL won't sell sports drinks on board, if IF they do, they will be VERY overpriced??

Interesting thread: We have purchased Soda Cards on past cruises and on some cruises , just had the ice tea. Both worked fine for us. We don't drink alchahol (can't even spell it :) ) my DH is diabetic, so the soda card is worth it for us in the lounges etc. The only problem I have with this thread is that , getting one card and using it for 2, 3 or 4 people , just seems wrong. It sure doesn't set a very good example for the kids , but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But if every one did it, I think it would sure make a difference to the cruise line, and where exactly do you draw the line, for some its ok but not for others. Just a sticky issue. But this has been a fun thread to read. Thanks for posting.

Cori

Question - what's the deal with bringing a few sodas back on board after a shore excursion. I'm NOT trying to bend the rules, but I am pregnant and find that Gatoraid helps my nausea and re-hydrates me after dreaded bouts of morning sickness. (Sorry TMI ;)) I am PRETTY sure that NCL won't sell sports drinks on board, if IF they do, they will be VERY overpriced??

You shouldn't have any problem at all bringing aboard soda or Gatorade. On my last few NCL cruises, I always brought onboard a 12-pack of Diet Pepsi because I prefer it to Diet Coke.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really agree with many people sharing the same card to get a lot of drinks, but I can kinda see where somebody is comming from if they order like 1 or 2 sodas the ENTIRE trip on a spouse's card. I know I will get yelled at for this, but when I go out to eat with my fiance, I order water. Sometimes at the end of the meal, water doesn't seem to get rid of the after taste, so I take 1 or 2 small sips of his soda. Why would I pay 1.50 or more when I only needed the smallest sip? So on the cruise, I will bring my own soda (I prefer pepsi products) but if we are by the pool or something, and I don't have my soda with me, and I need a little something to quench my thirst, Yes, I could very possibly steal a sip or 2 of his.

I don't really agree with many people sharing the same card to get a lot of drinks, but I can kinda see where somebody is comming from if they order like 1 or 2 sodas the ENTIRE trip on a spouse's card. I know I will get yelled at for this, but when I go out to eat with my fiance, I order water. Sometimes at the end of the meal, water doesn't seem to get rid of the after taste, so I take 1 or 2 small sips of his soda. Why would I pay 1.50 or more when I only needed the smallest sip? So on the cruise, I will bring my own soda (I prefer pepsi products) but if we are by the pool or something, and I don't have my soda with me, and I need a little something to quench my thirst, Yes, I could very possibly steal a sip or 2 of his.

What you describe is very different from blatant, egregious, intentional sharing of the card where someone buys one card and sends the same person to the bar repeatedly to get drinks for the entire family.

First advice: Take a large thermal cup with you. If there is complementary juice, tea, lemonade, etc., the pathetic little glasses that they have won't hold enough to get me from one end of the ship to the other. I found a large insulated plastic glass in the camping section of a sporting goods store.

Second: If you're concerned that there might not be something to your taste, take dry mixes and make your own. There are individual size Crystal Light mixes at http://www.minimus.biz (along with all the other little gadgets that you could ever want). Using the tap water and cabin ice, I can stay tanked up all day on my own drinks, and they weigh almost nothing in your carry-on bag.

Carry on a few cans of root beer for the hardcore!! ;)

This thread is both funny and pithetic!

Please people. If you are too morally correct to beat the system, then go right ahead and live life by the rules, but for goodness sake don't you dare come on here and preach morals. Keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.

WHO CARES!! if it's against the rules to share a soda card! If you don't agree with it then don't do it! If you are savvy enough to have figured out how to save a few dollars by sharing a soda card, then more power to you!

To the whiners that are crying how wrong that is, and using unrelated analogies to classify this as theft...SIP ON THIS.... As a former bar owner, the cost of an 8oz. galss of fountain soda, in a glass stuffed with Ice, eqauls around 4oz. of actual soda. If you factor in all of the overhead associated with selling that soda, the cruise lines total cost on each soda is around 7 cents!! So who is stealing from who.

If you choose to be a Dudly do-right, that is your right. Enjoy your 9-5, Ward and June Cleaver, white picket fence, 2.5 kids, soccer mom, weekends off, 2 weeks a year vacation, dead end dull and boring lives. You are very easy to identify on the boat as you wear the same type of boring clothes, tell the stupidest jokes, and put on very plastic aires. We stay far away from your type on the boat and have a blast talking about you as you walk by, with the REAL people on the boat.

I can't wait to use my shared soda card to mix with the 4 gallons of our own booze we are bring on our cruises! :D

This thread is both funny and pithetic!

Please people. If you are too morally correct to beat the system, then go right ahead and live life by the rules, but for goodness sake don't you dare come on here and preach morals. Keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.

"too morally correct"? Is that a BAD thing, to be moral?

WHO CARES!! if it's against the rules to share a soda card! If you don't agree with it then don't do it! If you are savvy enough to have figured out how to save a few dollars by sharing a soda card, then more power to you!

"savvy enough to figure out" what? how to cheat? That's savvy?

To the whiners that are crying how wrong that is, and using unrelated analogies to classify this as theft...SIP ON THIS.... As a former bar owner, the cost of an 8oz. galss of fountain soda, in a glass stuffed with Ice, eqauls around 4oz. of actual soda. If you factor in all of the overhead associated with selling that soda, the cruise lines total cost on each soda is around 7 cents!! So who is stealing from who.

So where do you draw the line on what's ok to steal and what isn't? $.10? $.25? $2??? The prices are what the prices are, and it's not OK to steal. If you don't like the prices, no one's holding a knive to your throat.

If you choose to be a Dudly do-right, that is your right. Enjoy your 9-5, Ward and June Cleaver, white picket fence, 2.5 kids, soccer mom, weekends off, 2 weeks a year vacation, dead end dull and boring lives. You are very easy to identify on the boat as you wear the same type of boring clothes, tell the stupidest jokes, and put on very plastic aires. We stay far away from your type on the boat and have a blast talking about you as you walk by, with the REAL people on the boat.

Thank you, I will enjoy my life. You enjoy your life, stealing from people, rationalizing your theft, and crossing the line from moral to immoral. You know where folks like that end up, don't you? Jail, in this life . . .

I can't wait to use my shared soda card to mix with the 4 gallons of our own booze we are bring on our cruises! :D

Do what you want. Don't think you get any points with ANYONE because you encourage them to cheat and/or steal.

Keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.

I see, however, you're the only one that's allowed to give yours?

Now I understand. EVERYONE that pays for their own soda's and plays by the rules must live a dull, Soccer life and wear boring clothes and get laughed at by you "real" people? Gee, so when you're not home and people break into your house and help themselves to your stuff, then *you* must be the square ones w/ the 2 week vacations and they're the cool ones!

Thanks for articulating that so clearly for us.

To those of you who have:

Never taken so much as a paper clip from work. (Much less pens & pencils or worse)

Used the copier at work to copy personal stuff.

Slightly "altered" the truth come tax time.

Always paid taxes on gambling winnings.

Never told a lie. (Even a little white lie)

Been totally forthcoming with your spouse and others about "where you've been, who you've been with, what you did, etc."

In other words, if you are "without sin" then you may complain all you want.

I don't personally agree with using a "soda card" for other than it's intended user, but the way some of you come off with your "holier-than-thou-attitude" about what constitutes "theft" just amazes me!! :eek:

As someone infinately wiser than me once said:

He who is without sin, may cast the first stone".

There's a difference between: a) sinning, knowing it's wrong and regretting it; and b) intentionally sinning and rationalizing or attempting to justify it.

No one's saying people are expected to be perfect. But it wouldn't hurt to make an effort.

Interestingly all the cruises I have been on have offered FREE fruit juices, V8 etc and Milk at all meals - makes me wonder how THAT can be cheeper than pumping soda out of the soda fountain?????
It's not about wha's cheaper.... It's about where they make the most money. People drink far more soda than juice, so charge for the soda and make more money.

There's a difference between: a) sinning, knowing it's wrong and regretting it; and b) intentionally sinning and rationalizing or attempting to justify it.

No one's saying people are expected to be perfect. But it wouldn't hurt to make an effort.

Are you saying it's okay to sin and feel bad about it, but it's not okay to sin and not feel bad about it? -- Feeling bad about it is the ultimate in justifying it.... Come one everyone... there is nothing wrong with taking a dring of somene else's soda. There are bigger things to worry about---instead of fretting over the guy who drank from his buddy's soda, worry about all the people who don't have enough money to buy soda or food for their family. Speak out against that!

To those of you who have:

Never taken so much as a paper clip from work. (Much less pens & pencils or worse)

Used the copier at work to copy personal stuff.

Slightly "altered" the truth come tax time.

Always paid taxes on gambling winnings.

Never told a lie. (Even a little white lie)

Been totally forthcoming with your spouse and others about "where you've been, who you've been with, what you did, etc."

In other words, if you are "without sin" then you may complain all you want.

I don't personally agree with using a "soda card" for other than it's intended user, but the way some of you come off with your "holier-than-thou-attitude" about what constitutes "theft" just amazes me!! :eek:

As someone infinately wiser than me once said:

He who is without sin, may cast the first stone".

I understand your point. And yes, of course, let's not get crazy about someone who takes a sip of their spouse's soda, etc. That's ridiculous, of course.

But I think we're talking degree's here. It's one thing to use the office copymachine to make a couple of paper copies for yourself or take *a* pen. It's quite another to use the office copier & paper to print up 10 copies of your favorite 100 page cookbook or to take a box of pens home for your family.

Jane

I have a solution! Sail Disney - the pop is free and available all day!

Just kidding!

Relax folks, it is your vacation - enjoy it!

But I do have to ask - if sharing a card is no big deal and you feel it is OK - would you stand around with the people you were going to be sharing the card with and order just 1 pop and then all share that 1 glass of pop?

Are you saying it's okay to sin and feel bad about it, but it's not okay to sin and not feel bad about it? -- Feeling bad about it is the ultimate in justifying it.... Come one everyone... there is nothing wrong with taking a dring of somene else's soda. There are bigger things to worry about---instead of fretting over the guy who drank from his buddy's soda, worry about all the people who don't have enough money to buy soda or food for their family. Speak out against that!

I completely agree with you - there's nothing wrong with someone taking a sip from someone else's soda. I've already said that. But that's a far cry from planning to buy a single card with the premeditated intention of using it to buy drinks for the entire family.

As far as sinning, you read me right. Recognizing that one's actions are wrong is the first step to correcting one's behavior and living a moral, ethical life. Feeling bad about it is just the first step. It's not a backdoor way to justify misdeeds. On the other hand, sinning, knowing that it's a sin, and shrugging it off is immoral.

And yes, you're absolutely right that there are "bigger things to worry about". But this is a cruise board. We're not here to discuss world famine or poverty. We're here to discuss activities related to cruising.

Archived